What program do you use?

Nomme

I've been using fruity loops for ages now, for about a year, but everyone says that there are better programmes out there. I tried cubase, but I didn't like it. So what else is out there? Whats the best programme for DnB?

Just go with what you like. If you dont like Cubase, dont use it. It's really hard to define what a 'better' program is, since the differences are mostly cosmetic these days. For me a good program is one that enables you to quickly make your ideas into reality, and ATM that's fruity. What was that about cubase you didn't like?

Other DAW's include Ableton Live (version 8 is the current one...?), SONAR, plus a few other all-in-one solutions like FL.

Like everyone else says, theres not one program thats "better" than any others, it just depends what your used to. I use reason for soft synths/samplers, and Rewire it to Pro Tools for mixing and adding audio etc. Just have a good look around, try a few other peoples setups maybe. If your happy with what you have and the results your getting then dont feel the need to change it because people say theres better around, its all about what your happy with using.

Fruity in my opinion isn't good because it makes quite "electronic" sounds "by default". I dunno how to explain that, when I try to make something using only fruity's VST's and samples, beats sound very simple, no matter how I try to add or change something, it just doesn't sound good.
But, FL is great choise, if u use other VST's with it and also different samples.

However, it is possible imo to achieve great sound using only FL's vst's, but then you need to spend a lot of time with FX and experiment, it's just simpler to get VST's, who make already good sound.

I'm using FL and I've tried many other DAW's, but I think I'll stick with FL, it has great and simple interface. FL + NI Komplete 5 and some other VST's is really all what u need imo, mby AKAI MPK49 also wouldn't hurt to buy. :)

Last edited:
i use FL and FL only Its so user friendly unlike some others, as everyone keeps saying its what u like not what anyone else likes i know a very VERY good producer that uses FL theres no problem with it just DONT!!! USE THE FL PRESETS!! coz they are shit and it will get noticed!

Only one problem with FL u have to have a good pc to run it as the cpu run's out pretty quick, thats to everyone that actualy puts effort into tunes!! and has more going on than just samples of drums and bass lol

I love this topic as there are so many answers.

I use Ableton Live 7 and I find it suits my needs, I'm getting Live 8 this week and if I had to use something else it would only be Logic and a Mac - and main due to the cost i can safely say i won't be doing that anytime soon. I had a buzz on Logic in the Bristol Apple store on Saturday and I felt it was pretty similar to Ableton in the fact that it has all the same things.

There are only 2 or 3 major differences that will effect the usage of each DAW: 1) the audio engines differ on each DAW, 2) the quality of your Plugins & Samples and the biggest one - 3) the soft, water filled, spongey organism operating the damn thing.

I started using Fruity and quickly found I out grew it, I wouldn't bother using the samples that come with it as there are specific places you can get good samples - if you pay for them, and I would try using better FX plugins if you plan on sticking with it. In the last 6 months I have started to secure remix work based on feedback from my work, and I find having the best quality samples I can find seem to up my game everytime I work on something new.

i use cubase. it's not what you've got its how you use it. probly some of your favorite tunes back in the day were made on less equipment than most have inside their pc.

funny post kenflex but its not about samples

funny post logikz but I think you missed my point - when you make music its not about picking a DAW - its about the sounds you come out with. You can have the most expensive set-up in the world but if your samples and sound design is crap then it doesn't matter what you used does it?

A fruity lover here, but sometimes i use cubase too, mainly couz it can load all the wavs from a folder at once lol :D In Fl u have to load up wavs one by one. I mean if i export each channel of the song separatly if u know what im say'n loool :D

i never figured that option out. you prime the channel in the mixer and then you can bounce all those channels down individually with one click?

U select master channel, then click to export to wav and select the option Split mixer tracks, and it will export all the mixer tracks as separated wavs (say u have 20 mixer channels, u will have 20 wavs), ur master channel will be named selected, and when i load all them wavs together in cubase i delete the master wav(selected.wav) and then its my project in audio beautifly splited for better mastering!

true but again were not talking about the samples the daw is bundled with.

re-read my last post and tell me when i ever mentioned the samples a DAW is bundled with - what I said was it is about what samples you can come out it - as in what samples you use, i don't use the samples that come with ableton as I prefer to find or create my own.

ffs. ok

I started using Fruity and quickly found I out grew it, I wouldn't bother using the samples that come with it as there are specific places you can get good samples - if you pay for them, and I would try using better FX plugins if you plan on sticking with it. In the last 6 months I have started to secure remix work based on feedback from my work, and I find having the best quality samples I can find seem to up my game everytime I work on something new.

Back
Top Bottom