What Production Software Do You Use?

Kofy & Axis

Kofy & Axis
Just a thought, what do you all use to produce with? Any preferences? Any software with distinct advantages? We use FL Studio with external VSTS, some of the main ones including Native Instruments Massive, Albino 3 etc etc!

Any recommendations for software? We would like to expand, sometimes use Reason, Logic is good but don't have a Mac, anything good for Drum & Bass?

i use logic, and its in built presets...collecting a nice amount of samples now as well, from percussion kicks n snares to down/uplifters and fx.

just today i got massive so will be experimenting with that..up till now ive been using es2 a lot (logic plug in)

ive heard good things about reason when it comes to basslines...
but tbh i think its more of about vsts and plugins than the daw.

wicked man! if i ever get a mac logic will be my new best friend! and massive is really really good, i use it for practically all my basses now, if you have aim inbox me your name i can give you some preset basses i made to see what you think, and yeah vsts make it tbh not the software, big up mate im listening to ur track right now its sounding wicked! brilliant vibe!

just reason for me
never really enjoyed other stuff like ableton or fl

I use Reason mainly but use Logic rewired with it sometimes find i have a much quicker workflow in reason love the automation, with logic its well annoying cant stand it lol

I use tracktion3, from Mackie. I love it, it's such a simple interface. So easy to use. But it's dead now, no development. I think Proteus are trying to do something similar with studio one. A daw shouldn't be hard to get around, there's no reason. Just drop a plug into the chain where you want it, midi/audio side by side, route things where you want them to go. I should learn Reaper really. But I'm lazy. Tracktion is just so simple. Bit like me :)

I'm using ableton now which I love and I find it easy to work with. Messed around with FL and Reason years ago now. Never really had much joy with FL in all honesty.

My main soft synths are Massive and Predator. But since I got my Virus TI they are not getting as much love these day. :)

Cubase 5, NI suite (massive absynth fm8...) Albino 3 ... and a shitload of fx vsts.
I've tried a lot of differents Daws and for me cubase is the best one.
BTW if you are beginning, you have to try (before buy?) everything you can.
Then you'll be able to make the good choice.
Even in this case, i would advice to take an advanced Daws like Cubase or Logic.
Not very keen on the "over user friendly interfaces" like FL or others lookalike. Always thought that with them you can do good sounding thing quickly but that they will prevent you from going further later.

Moreover, if you watch some masterclasses or just try to get some informations, you'll see that maybe 80 to 90% of professionals work with Cubase/Logic.(Noisia,Phace,Alix Perez,Sub Focus, Sabre...)i try to remind myself all those but i can make a mistake on one of them.
There is no hazard here.

If you want some more info on what pro use you can browse the DOA forum Q&A. That is gold.
All producers raveled: Cubase/logic, All NI products, Albino, Zeta, Virus hardware synth, Wave suite, UAD dsp card and all of it's associated softwares, Kjaerhus pluggins, Camel Audio products....
In Cubase and Logic you have good quality natives pluggins that nearly everybody use. At least they can do some jobs.

Good luck and tell us when you find what suits you best.

Hahahahahh i love people who think something without knowing anything really. It's the tools and how you use them, not what reputation it has.

But i guess if you think you are right about FL, tunes like
THIS:
OR THIS:

Should have never existed.

Anyway good luck being ignorant.
By the way have you tried the new beta version 9.6? I'd love to hop into Cubase and do something that takes 5 mins that i can do in FL with 10 secs.
kbye

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, Nacon, i'm not really open minded about you after reading you around the forum. Very proud of yourself and stuff...
You close me ever more now. I'm just giving MY advice i don't say it's the only one answer. (and this position is clear in the phrase that i used in my first post). Btw i tried FL before sying that (a long time ago).
In short, i'm open minded and ready to change my mind as soon as somebody give me some argument for that. Saying "Wrong" "No" or being a twat trying to be ironic just sounds stupid to me.
Btw like i said 80 to 90% of producers use Cubase/logic...That means that 10 to 20% use others daws. right?
Btw again, Spor is one of my top ten producers and the fact that he rox with FL is -kind of- an argument.

To finish, i'll say that shortcuts can make you ignore some important facts that you would have learned by taking the "5 mins " you are speaking of. And that when you know your tools everything is a second matter nothing take me 5 min.

You need to chill out dude.

Sorry if i sounded like this, didn't mean it to be in your face or anything =) or attack you or anything, just i'm baffled by the fact that people still compare daw's like this. All good man =)

Ok great.
Forums speaking sound impersonal and can lead to misunderstanding and stupid arguing.
Let's say it was one of those. ;)

Cheers

And for the OP, don't forget to try a lot of things, that's the key word.

^^^^

i dont think i would have had to put in any arguments, if all the points you raised had none aswell.

to give you some reasons why fl > other daws :D - you can change the order of FX-chains with 2 clicks. 3xosc must be like my most used synthesizer ever and ive never seen such an easy layer management.. stretching and "fit to tempo" options are just sick, automation is lovely to use and every button is where it should be, and not hidden or some kind of "i have to click 10 times just to get a new audio channel in".

i really wonder if in some time in the future, people will judge things by what they can, and not by what they cost.

but yeah, basically see what suits you best.

Last edited:
FX chains change have been implemented in cubase 5. Drag and drop, one click. Beat. :p
Built in synth kind of sux in cubase but i havent tried FL ones.
(havent tried the cubase new ones too).
Guess the best ones are those given with reason, really good ones.
Time stretching etc are simple in cubase and fit to tempo... i mean time stretch, put a click and use your ears :p
Ad an audio track: right click=>add audio track. =2 clicks....
I think Cubase and logic are viewed as awfully complex daws. They are not.
Somehow they can demand to think a little more or to understand some things. but i really don't think it's a waste of time.

Back
Top Bottom