What portion of download sale proceeds to artists see?

mzacker

^^^^/\^^^^
I don't DJ mainly because I don't have the time, the equipment is expensive, and vinyl is expensive and hard to come by for me.

However, I try to support artists by buying tracks off of beatport.com. I like a nice clean version of a good track, even if I've cained it to death by the time it comes out.

My question is, how much of that $1.99 do artist/producers receive, and how much goes to the site, music publisher, etc.?

Usually 50% to the artist & 50% to the artist of the profits - not sure how much they have to pay the site though (but would have thought that would be the labels responsibility)

Usually 50% to the artist & 50% to the artist of the profits - not sure how much they have to pay the site though (but would have thought that would be the labels responsibility)

It varies..... and no it isnt usually 50%... thats a very good deal if you get 50%. But its not un heard of. Just really depends on what label etc and what sites its being released on.

Most people i know will get about anything between 30% to 45%

so will doc scott, intalex and d bridge and the likes take 100% for all their tracks from abunchofcuts.com?

you'd think so really

so will doc scott, intalex and d bridge and the likes take 100% for all their tracks from abunchofcuts.com?

you'd think so really

no...... what they will do is have the same sort fo deal with themselves as they would anyone else.... but they would then split the proceeds of what the label and site take between the few of them...... so if theres 3 of them the artist would take 66.6% of the takings....... their cut of 50% say.... then a third of the other 50% which is 16.6%... = 66.6%

does that make sense??
Its still a business... and if you own the business that ultimatly employs you aswell then you have treat yourself as a customer as well as the owner..... so you would give yourself the same deal as anyone else.... and then with regards to the cut the business take.... ie in this case the site sales and label sales then you would deal with that sepreratly..... in this case split between the three owners.

Last edited:
Hmm. A friend of mine has some tracks up on Beatport at 50% but I guess it varies.

The thing with digital is that while the per track profit might not be as good with vinyl, the bulk increases the profit (hopefully)

I've got an argument here to make about supporting artists and the comments that buying vinyl supports artists better than buying mp3s.

If you want your artist to make money, don't spend 5 quid on a vinyl where he gets a quid or two (that would be very generous), buy 5 tracks at 1 quid. Then he gets 1.50 -2.50, his sales figures are very nice and you get 5 tracks to enjoy.

The vinyl factory, distributor or record store won't make money. But are you buying records to keep the distributor or store owner fed, or the artist?

Before I get slagged off for having a predatory attitude and that everybody has a right to a living - inefficient distribution and production methods inevitably lose with progress. That's the price we pay to drive cars instead of hand-made carts (poor bankrupt carpenters) pulled by ponies (poor bankrupt horse doctors, poor bankrupt smithies, poor bankrupt hay sellers). Some forms of trade and production must disappear. Some jobs disappear with time and those livings disappear.

It varies..... and no it isnt usually 50%... thats a very good deal if you get 50%. But its not un heard of. Just really depends on what label etc and what sites its being released on.

Most people i know will get about anything between 30% to 45%

Only reason I said 50% is my other half did vocals on a tune that was released digitally and that was the split she got :D

Hmm. A friend of mine has some tracks up on Beatport at 50% but I guess it varies.

The thing with digital is that while the per track profit might not be as good with vinyl, the bulk increases the profit (hopefully)

I've got an argument here to make about supporting artists and the comments that buying vinyl supports artists better than buying mp3s.

If you want your artist to make money, don't spend 5 quid on a vinyl where he gets a quid or two (that would be very generous), buy 5 tracks at 1 quid. Then he gets 1.50 -2.50, his sales figures are very nice and you get 5 tracks to enjoy.

The vinyl factory, distributor or record store won't make money. But are you buying records to keep the distributor or store owner fed, or the artist?

Before I get slagged off for having a predatory attitude and that everybody has a right to a living - inefficient distribution and production methods inevitably lose with progress. That's the price we pay to drive cars instead of hand-made carts (poor bankrupt carpenters) pulled by ponies (poor bankrupt horse doctors, poor bankrupt smithies, poor bankrupt hay sellers). Some forms of trade and production must disappear. Some jobs disappear with time and those livings disappear.

People are buying records becuase they enjoy mixing vinyl, simple as really. I completely understand where you're coming from but most people aren't buying the tunes to fully support the artist. They may take it into consideration but at the end of the day the consumer puts themselves first and if they want vinyl that's what they're going to choose. If you have a massive viny collection and expensive decks it's a big transition to make by going digital all of a sudden. Saying that
begginers shouldn't be put off by people saying don't mix CD's becuase there's nothing wrong with it and you're right it does support the artist better than vinyl.

Iv been thinking about makin' the switch 4 a while now but its such a big job cuz i got like 1000 vinyls that all need to be mp3'd plus i gotta go out and get cd dex which is gna cost me cuz i dont wanna sell my vinyl dex.

Iv been thinking about makin' the switch 4 a while now but its such a big job cuz i got like 1000 vinyls that all need to be mp3'd plus i gotta go out and get cd dex which is gna cost me cuz i dont wanna sell my vinyl dex.

don't do it* just get a cd deck and expand your set up a bit. if you're established with vinyl you'd be a fool to switch to digital

Get serato

iv never used serato wats it all about?

I was going to get a cdj but had a go on a mates set up with serato and brought it myself.

You have all your mp3's on your comp and mix using two blank vinyls. So you are basically mixing mp3s through your decks. Costs about £360 for the whole set up but its mint

I don't DJ mainly because I don't have the time, the equipment is expensive, and vinyl is expensive and hard to come by for me.

However, I try to support artists by buying tracks off of beatport.com. I like a nice clean version of a good track, even if I've cained it to death by the time it comes out.

My question is, how much of that $1.99 do artist/producers receive, and how much goes to the site, music publisher, etc.?

I think you certainly have the TIME mate, you're home by a little past 3 daily, and currently you're not even in school. I'd say you could probably even afford some of the equipment, you just choose to spend yer scratch on other things if ya know what I mean. If you really wanted to DJ, I know you would. But don't you still have a guitar? Start shredding and match some beats to that shit!

Back
Top Bottom