What Pioneer thingy is this bloke using?

Junglist_007

learning difficulties
VIP Junglist
This is probably stupid question but I got to ask it! What is this guy using? When I first saw it I thought it was a twin cdj with mixer. But it's not cdj because it's connected to laptop. I don't really understand this digital era of DJin. I started off on 1210. I made the switch to CDJ's two years ago but still got my 1210. It's not Serato or Traktor because it says pioneer on it. After whatching the video for 15 mins I couldn't see him using pitch control just the jog wheel. If some could help me out and give me some more insight to this that be great :).

Last edited by a moderator:
This is probably stupid question but I got to ask it! What is this guy using? When I first saw it I thought it was a twin cdj with mixer. But it's not cdj because it's connected to laptop. I don't really understand this digital era of DJin. I started off on 1210. I made the switch to CDJ's two years ago but still got my 1210. It's not Serato or Traktor because it says pioneer on it. After whatching the video for 15 mins I couldn't see him using pitch control just the jog wheel. If some could help me out and give me some more insight to this that be great :).

basically the chances are that this guy cannot beatmatch by ear so uses DJ software (like virtual DJ) to help him see the music visually so all he has to do it line up the kicks (which appear as spikes on the waveform).

Last edited by a moderator:
basically the chances are that this guy cannot beatmatch by ear so uses DJ software (like virtual DJ) to help him see the music visually so all he has to do it line up the kicks (which appear as spikes on the waveform).

I've heard about that Virtual DJ software and big debate about it. People say if you use that it's cheating becuase the computer beat matches it for you. So I'm guessing the people that use Virtual DJ can't beat match for shit. I was at pub few weeks back and they had a setup similar to that one in the video. The DJ or so-called DJ wasn't even using any headphones. All he was doing was pressing buttons on the laptop and pissing about on the jog wheel.

Is Serato or Traktor the same? Sorry for all the questions I wanna get better understanding of it all. Cheers guys :)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replys guys nice one. Got much better understanding now. I was doing of reading if I read it right it uses time coded vinyl?

traktor and serato (and some others) use timecoded vinyl or cd-s. they work as if you have a real cd/vinyl playing...theoretically. i personally didn't like it, sold traktor and don't regret it a bit.

Serato + Traktor can both be used with time code vinyl/CD, there is another software that Farau has mentioned a few times but I forget the name

Dat haircut

beavis.jpg

That's an American Audio VMS4 i reckon. Either that or one of those traktor s4's or somethin.

Used to have a vms4. They're terrible. Wish i'd skipped em and gone straight to 1210's instead of taking that stupid step in between.

Fucking hate midi controllers.

The fella in the video looks bored as fuck, and thats exactly what its like, no enjoyment in it whatsoever.

Last edited:
The fella in the video looks bored as fuck, and thats exactly what its like, no enjoyment in it whatsoever.
yes exactly. mixing with traktors or controllers is really annoying and boring. absolutely no enjoyment.

yes exactly. mixing with traktors or controllers is really annoying and boring. absolutely no enjoyment.

+1.
I started out on controllers, moved to 1210's a year or so afterwards.
Wish I'd never bothered with the in-between controllers and shitty 2nd rate TT's tbh, but theyre good for investing a little to find out if you like the principles of DJing, before rinsing the bank account on expensive gear.

Back
Top Bottom