What needles to buy?

DJExplicit

i want to buy some new needles (i just have cheap stanton ones).
i know that different needles are good for different things (like scratching/mixing etc) but whats a pair of good needles to get?

i want to get a pair and im looking to spend around £100.

if anyone could tell me what needles are good for mixing with would be a great help.

You could get a set of Ortofon Concorde + Pro S for £100, they are pretty good all round.

Shure White Label are meant to be good as well but they are more expensive, I think Prospekt uses them.

Get a pair of Ortofon Concorde Pro's mate, I bought a pair and I've never looked back, long as you treat em right they'll last ya for ages and the sound quality doesn't come much better!

You could get a set of Ortofon Concorde + Pro S for £100, they are pretty good all round.

Shure White Label are meant to be good as well but they are more expensive, I think Prospekt uses them.

Yeah I use these. Good sound quality and they they stick yo the record. Only thing I've noticed with mine is the plastic casing on stylus seem to have split, doesn't make a difference, if you look closely you can see it has split.

i think theses r they way to go!

ive had mine for years

but the metal bit at the tip seams to be goin rusty

does this make a difference? lol

I used to have some Concord Pro S, fancied a change so got M44-7's...both have been good to me.

£53 a pair. The OM (headshell mounted version) are best suited for S Shaped tonearms. The Concorde version is best suited to straight tonearms.

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/ortofon/ompro

ive already got them ones i bought the club pro ones with the yellow ends but one of he needles broke so i stuck just normal ones back on, i wanna get full concordes for the look

Yeh I still only have the one. lol

At first I was a bit indifferent about them as they are very quiet. But boost up the gains to where it's neccessary and they are really good needles. They capture the mid and lows really well and are probably the best needles for home use I'd say. Yeh they are pretty expensive but I'd recommend them. But on your budget you're better off going for a pair of Concordes for a tonne. (y) :)

Last edited:
thanks for the replys, think im gonna go with Ortofon Concorde + Pro S.
good price and from what ive read they're pretty good quality.

The plain ortofon ones aint really much cop IMO,

Shure 44Gs are a lot kinder to your tunes and quality is spot on.

They're cheap too compared to ortofons

Just out of curiosity, how much difference do new needles make over stock ones that came with your turntables? Do you need really good speakers to hear the difference or is it instant-great-improvement, like proper headphones instead of ipod stock ones?

normal speakers you should hear the difference. when i changed mine it sounded like a filter had been taken off all the frequencies. The highs where alot clearer, the mids where snappier and the bass was less distorted and more clean but full.

obviously ull notice it alot more on a good sytem, but yeh u should still notice it on a normal run of the mill system.

Back
Top Bottom