What mp3 player should I get?

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by YOUNG TUNA, Mar 9, 2006.

1. YOUNG TUNA

YOUNG TUNA IT'S ME BITCHES

Been using iPod for like over 2 years, had the battery changed once but now its fucked up again. Like I can listen maybe half of my songs in the harddrive and I cant get the new ones even in...

So got any recommends for a new one? :rolleyes:

2. Indi

Indi Tha Original ThreadKilla!

I got an Aigo MP-E858 mp4 player

[​IMG]

Its not bad, but its a domestic (chinese) brand so I don't know how reliable it is or how easy it is to source any parts should the thing break.

I've heard the Creative Zen mp3 players aren't too shabby

3. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

You're not going to get that Aigo repaired outside of China - or its going to be horrendously expensive. However any repairs to a mp3 player are going to be borderline worth it.

I've gone through a few - currently I've got a Zen Creative. Good sound (quality bass), good build, reliable (played it at -20C whilst boarding), long battery and plays more sound formats than the Ipod (limited to mp3). Its drag & drop - no Itunes bullshit.

The Zen range is differently not as 'cool' or ergonomic (interface) as the Ipod and Walkman range but its all about the music and not posing, isn't it...?

Having said that, Creative seriously needs some styling consulting.

Stay away from Apple and Sony if you want to play other sound formats and avoid their awful software.

Definitely stay away from Itunes if you want to avoid DRM and being locked into Apple products FOREVER. If you buy a tune off Itunes you can only play it on your Ipod. Your ass will belong to Jobs. Sure you can burn a cd and then rip it - but thats hassle + loss of sound quality.

4. YOUNG TUNA

YOUNG TUNA IT'S ME BITCHES

Wow thanks, I heard creative makes some decent players. But seriously the things I care most when getting a new player:

1. Sound quality.
    2. LONG battery, and the thing it doesnt break when in very low temperatures (because I do live in Finland)

Like who gives a shit is the player "fashionable", its going to be in your pocket anyways. So unless you wear transperent jeans I dont get what difference does it make.

Gotta check out the prizes here on those Zens :D

5. zeeky deek

zeeky deek Moaning all the time.

Well, actually, the Zen touch had roughly a 18 hour (24 quoted) battery, which is good, but not the best. The new Zen Vision:m, only comes in at around 10 hours (14 quoted) Both are pretty chunky though.

The iPod supports AAC too, which sounds better than WMA or MP3 at the same bitrate.

But I wouldn't say get an iPod

I totally agree on the Sony software though, it's pants.

Personal recommendation, the iAudio M5L, weighs in with a 26 hour (32 quoted) battery life, it's drag and drop, supports WMA, MP3 and OGG, and I've had iAudio products for just over 2 years with no problem whatsoever.

6. Radius

Radius Give me back my passport u slags

Not sure Transparaent Jean s would be a good idea :dynamite:

7. mISHKA

mISHKA Member

Got this little beast
    [​IMG]

Its very robust, dropped it quite a few times now and no problems have come from that, sound quality is awesome and the included headphones arent bad either. It looks pretty cool, is a good size and a good weight too -you can tell when its in your pocket but its not too heavy.

The battery lasts me for a long time, and you can get 3 hours play with 3 minutes charge - very useful!

However Im wishing id got something with a bit more memory - 1GB fine but for road trips Id like to have a bit more variety available.
    Also, as with iPods the software that comes with it is SHIT. You have to encode all your mp3s to some OMA format and transfer them with the Sony software which is LONG.

Next one I get im gonna make sure i can just drag & drop!

8. The 4th Power

The 4th Power Get Crunk

How big is that thing?

9. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

Had my iPod (3rd generation I think?) for about 3-4 years now, still working as good as the day I got it (bar a slightly shortened battery life).

I'd definitely buy another iPod (a video one) if I was looking for another, but that's just me.

10. GreenBoy

GreenBoy Active Member

can anyone post a link to some review site about ipods... maybe something top of your head, too early in the morning to google.

ive had this old cd-player that is about to die (had it for 3 years now), has trouble reading even the original cds, not to mention old fashion own written cd's.

700th post! weee!

11. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

All that needs to be written about Ipods is written on this page. If you don't need other file formats and want to be cool, get an Ipod. Never use Itunes.

12. josh

josh "LOUD NOISES!"

I wouldn't buy an iPod purely because you cannot drag and drop mp3s onto it without using iTunes, or use it as a portable hard drive etc (unless they've changed that with the newer ones?).

I used to have one of the old iRiver 20gb hard drive players, and it was awesome. I've seen the new ones and they look even shinier, and there is also a team of people over at rockbox.com (I think!) who are creating an open source firmware for the device.

For now I'm happy with my £30 unbranded 256meg player, as it is smaller and lighter than a lighter (if you see what I mean) and is big enough to fit whichever DJ set I'm currently listening too, and a few songs on top :D

13. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

My iPod (3rd generation) can do drag and dropping of files like a hard drive, you just need to enable that mode for it to work :)

Maybe the older ones couldn't.

14. josh

josh "LOUD NOISES!"

Ah but could you then plug the hard drive into someone elses computer and drag and drop the mp3s off of it? (Only the copyright free ones of course...;))

I'm sure there was some kind of hideous restriction which put me off iPods in the first place, and when my housemate plugged her Nano into my computer the other day, it appeared as a drive, but there were no mp3s to be found anywhere.

15. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

Nah you can't, but that's not what I meant hehe.

What I mean is plug it in as a external hard drive, throw whatever you want onto it, take it elsewhere and move/copy the files off. I don't mean the MP3's downloaded via iTunes.

You are right though, the MP3's are stored very weirdly, but you can get software to download them off successfully.

16. Bad Ace

Bad Ace Close2Death

i jus use my phone (y)

17. josh

josh "LOUD NOISES!"

I can see why iTunes tracks wouldn't work, I used Napster's new service for a while and understand the principles of DRMs etc. I just cant understand why non-DRM butchered mp3s would also be restricted in the same way... Still, as long as people are creating 3rd party hacks I guess there's no real problem with it ;)

I'm tempted by this now, as I have one of those k750 and you can buy the headphone adapter (that comes with the k800 as standard - k750 owners are supposed to use the appalling headphones that come with the phone), and also stick in a big SD card.

My only worry is that I'd be constantly charging the phone, as the k750 will happily go for 3 or 4 days with my minimal texting and phoning, but when I use it to play tunes and games the battery goes flat in a couple of hours. What phone have you got and what's the battery life like on it if you use it as a player?

18. Bad Ace

Bad Ace Close2Death

19. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

The MP3's you download to the iPod via iTunes are just named and stored randomly, I think if you search through them using the ID3 tag's you can find what you're looking for.

Like you've said, the ones you buy and download using the iTunes Music Store are AAC files and are tied to a user registration, however you can easily convert these to an MP3 if needs be.

I don't think the world will ever be rid of 3rd party hacks, we're quite lucky there are always people willing to rebel against the system! :teeth:

@Bad Ace - I'm jealous, I like those iMate phones ya bastid!