What makes it Drum and Bass?

Gruffsnuff

I have been listening to allot of new music recently and the stuff like half time jungle ,dub physix stuff and Alix Perez.

What makes it drum and bass

The tempo being like 165 - 180?

The kick and the snare combo?

Is it the vibe of the track?

All three of these are interchangeable and i love the fact that DnB has evolved so much but i would like to know how you guys feel. Do you all stick to one Genre within DnB or do you just listen to as much as you can and find the best of the best. What makes it Drum and bass to you..... answers on a postcard lol

images

anything 160-180 with fast percussion and leading transients, usually a kick and snare. With the shit people make now, it's getting harder to define, but thats how genre's work

i think it used to be a bpm thing with the breakbeats, after that it was the kick snare pattern, all the time with heavy sub of course, these days its a vibe thing (not a contrive thing), but, it seems to me, if it doesnt have heavy bass and punchy kick it doesnt qualify.

I agree with both of you and try and keep an open mind as much as possible. I just hate it when people refer to it all as EDM thats suck massive balls!

With dnb in 2014 you have to ask yourself...

'What doesn't make it drum and bass?'

Then you will know what makes it drum and bass. So much good stuff out right now its hard to define.

I agree with both of you and try and keep an open mind as much as possible. I just hate it when people refer to it all as EDM thats suck massive balls!
Agreed, fuck EDM so many of mates say that stupid word. its unreal :mad:

Bass music set around 170 bpm is a good rule of thumb for me. The beat structure is important as well, but that can always be subject to change. If its 165-175ish and i can skank to it, then i'm calling it drum & bass :razz:

For me, 160-180 bpm, distinctive kick snare pattern. Emphasis on "drums and Bass", bassline is noramlly treated like a lead (particularly neurofunk)

I'd say, the dead give-away would be the drum arrangement, typically (k)-(s)--(k)(s)-(k)-(s)--(k)(s)-(k)-(s)--(k).... and so on, and variations of.
And an emphasis on the bass regions from 45-70hZ.

That was a really good question!

I've never actually sat down and thought about it. I tend to just "know" a dnb track when I hear it.

Tempo/beats/mood for me tbh. Not a producer but isn't syncopation to do with irregular beats? Not very dnb (at least the danceable stuff) is it?

Back
Top Bottom