What makes a junglist??

RocksteadyUK

SkimoBeats
VIP Junglist
What defines a junglist to you??

I read an interesting article the other day about different music scenes, what defines the people that are in it and what the author thought might attract them to the different scenes. Unfotunately it didnt have DnB which i was dissapointed with! would have been quite interesting.

A friend of mine found this interesting aswell and wants to write an article on the DnB scene and its "typical" listeners and what might attract these types of people to the scene..... just got me thinking really..... DnB doesnt really have a "dresscode" or a "typical" listener... not like metal or grunge where most of the fans wear black and try and make themselves look dead and is predominantly a white scene........ or the Grime scene where you can almost see a solid layer or New Era hats and is prodominantly a black scene...... I know its all a bit stereo typed but thats what the article would be looking at.
Unlike most scenes you can quite easily goto a DnB rave and see so many different types of people!?

even though i love this music, i don't label myself a junglist. i like to think i'm all things to all music*

Nice thread blad,

I think the definition of junglist is just the fact that you listen dnb more than any other genre, generally. You go to raves, collect mixtapes, look forward to new releases, try to produce your own tunes even, have you're own decks at and buy vinyls etc. Not that you have to earn the title "junglist" or "junglette" by doing any of those. I think it's ok to call yourself a junglist even if you just dig the music and nothing else.

And safety brudda you're a registered regular member at dnbforum.com so I'm definately calling you a junglist, even if you don't think you're a one :teeth:

Nice thread blad,

I think the definition of junglist is just the fact that you listen dnb more than any other genre, generally. You go to raves, collect mixtapes, look forward to new releases, try to produce your own tunes even, have you're own decks at and buy vinyls etc. Not that you have to earn the title "junglist" or "junglette" by doing any of those. I think it's ok to call yourself a junglist even if you just dig the music and nothing else.

And safety brudda you're a registered regular member at dnbforum.com so I'm definately calling you a junglist, even if you don't think you're a one :teeth:

And you also need to be a drug user!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A junglist is someone who enjoys jungle music.

The whole ethos of the rave scene was that it didn't matter who you were, or what you wore, or what you looked like. As long as you come to enjoy the music and party with a smile on your face everyones welcome!

I get a bit annoyed when I see a link between jungle/d&b and a kind of gangsta/wanksta hard-man image. Not what it's about at all - we're better than that.

Nice thread blad,

yeah, by your definition sheep, i am a junglist, but don't you think it's quite an exclusive sort of title? everyone knows if you're into dnb then you're bang into it and serious, i think there's a certain stigma attached to the title 'junglist'

A junglist is someone who enjoys jungle music.

The whole ethos of the rave scene was that it didn't matter who you were, or what you wore, or what you looked like. As long as you come to enjoy the music and party with a smile on your face everyones welcome!

I get a bit annoyed when I see a link between jungle/d&b and a kind of gangsta/wanksta hard-man image. Not what it's about at all - we're better than that.

Yeh but the thing is at the mo! and to be honest most of dnb's history is that its been linked to a "moody" crowd.

Not sure if many of you remember, but a while ago dnb was just mainly the techy sort of stuff.... i.e Bad Comapny, Tech Itch.. etc... This was mainly down to jump-up producers of the time stopped releasin records because of how the scene was turning moody because jump-up is a far more likeable and a much more "cooler" style of dnb to listen to..... so..... this in turn bought the rats out of the sewers and dnb raves started to get moody........

I explained to my mate that dnb pretty much has three main types of people at the moment...... Liquid heads... which are usually people that have been into house/garage at some point and prefer a chilled aproach to raving........ This sub-genre naturally attracts alot more women and Liquid raves have a much better ratio of men to women.

Then theres Jump-Up heads that on the surface have alot more of a moody crowd due to the big bass and "thugged out" sounds that Jump-Up is known for...... but if you actually get "into" the scene you realise that Jump-Up has the most devote fans who constantly seek out the next new realease etc...

And lastly theres the dark, glitchy, techy side or Neuro... which strangely seems to have alot less moody crowd. This style of dnb seems to a less "cool" to listen to for some reason.... well in London it seems anyway and seems to not attract the idiots. This style also seems to prodominantly be a male crowd!????

All three of the sub-genres all have there different types of crowd.

Ive also always heard from people that know nothing about DnB that its mainly a "black" stlye of music!???
This obviously gets my back up and i proceed to kick off... BUT What my mate is doing with his article for uni is to show just how diverse DnB is..... and what attracts people to it and the type of person that listen to it,.... if you can define it???...... because i personally think you cant for one moment say that DnB is a druggy type of music.... nor is it classy..... it isnt black and it isnt white...... its a hugely diverse genre that personal style, looks, colour never come into it amongst the people into the DnB scene....... you either a junglist/junglette or your not.... doesnt really matter what else?

But how do you define a Junglist???

What defines a junglist to you??

I read an interesting article the other day about different music scenes, what defines the people that are in it and what the author thought might attract them to the different scenes. Unfotunately it didnt have DnB which i was dissapointed with! would have been quite interesting.

A friend of mine found this interesting aswell and wants to write an article on the DnB scene and its "typical" listeners and what might attract these types of people to the scene..... just got me thinking really..... DnB doesnt really have a "dresscode" or a "typical" listener... not like metal or grunge where most of the fans wear black and try and make themselves look dead and is predominantly a white scene........ or the Grime scene where you can almost see a solid layer or New Era hats and is prodominantly a black scene...... I know its all a bit stereo typed but thats what the article would be looking at.
Unlike most scenes you can quite easily goto a DnB rave and see so many different types of people!?

I think because dnb is a fusion style of music. Eg Anything with fast broken beats and a bassline is DnB it has so much variety lots of different people will listen to it.

"its a hugely diverse genre that personal style, looks, colour never come into it amongst the people into the DnB scene"

that's how you define it. We're just undefinable! That's why we love it! The article should state that unlike other musical genres, the typical 'junglist' can not be defined by looks or personality - just by what enters their ear drums.

Are we talking internally or externally?

Externally young junglists are pretty much more diverse than the devoted listeners of other music styles. A reggaehead, emo, goth, punk, metal, hiphop freak you can identify pretty much instantly on the street. Same goes for most other styles when they are in their club environment. A junglist can be tricky because he can look like a normal young bloke or a hiphop/reggae head. No real musical 'uniforms'. Well apart from a specific t-shirt. Camo is so 1995...

Internally, well a junglist listens to dnb more than he does to other music and spends some serious money, time and effort on his musical habit.

I'm not going into writing about the negative or positive aspects of junglist behaviour except for identifying a subgenre "trainspotting clownstep dropping bullshit talking hater on DOA all day" junglist. And the "txt speak" junglist.

A junglist u ask ehh? ima go ahead and say anyone in Camo and Nikes. But personally i think junglist is a term i do not want to be associated with...over here a so-called junglist is quite annoying. always way to happy when your supposed to be grimmey. Way to kandy when you should be thuggin. meh, junglist!

get the t-shirt like Logikz said so theres no confusion :gaywhite:

I suppose I'd consider myself to be a junglist, I started listening to D&B in my early teens (14) & never looked back. I was the only ones in my year that was heavily into D&B, I was definately the only girl. I started looking at different DJ's & producer's on the scene & buying CD's well young. I started going raving as soon as I could, soon as I didn't get ID'd, so about 16/17.
When I go raving, I hear songs I like & try & find out what they are on the internet after.
I got my 1210's around christmas last year but I'd started buying vinyl before then.
I'm always looking for new songs, trying to find out their names, who they're by etc.
I can now listen to songs & say "that's by Clipz" or whatever, I know some producers are obvious but some others aren't.
I sometimes listen to other music, but it's 99% D&B that I listen to.

It really, really, really, really pisses me off when people say "you don't look like you're into D&B"
No one looks like they're into D&B really, I seriously think this idea of looking like you're into something is really annoying. As if a girl can't be into D&B.
Wearing a tshirt that says "Junglist Movement" does help though ha ha

You're born a junglist, whether or not you find it early like me or you realise when you're 21 or whatever.

Last edited:
i suppose i probably am..ive only been to a few raves as im only 16 n i can hardly get into any....ive been listenin to the music literally all my life coz my mum n dad listened to jungle,acid n trance...
also being called george or living in the amazon may help

Junglist to me means enjoying the off beat rhythm of drum and bass, period.

to look at other styles of music and think you can define the people in them for what they wear, rocksteadyuk, is laughable. Do you not think they have a certain view of the typical junglist? They look at you like you look at them, and surely could put you in your place.

No matter what music you love, the feeling that someone gets at a metal or grunge show, or whatever example you want to use....Is exactly the same as the feeling YOU get from your style of music.

If its not just about the music, you are not a junglist. The amen style will forever be at the heart of jungle/dnb....there you will find your answers, my friend.

Junglist to me means enjoying the off beat rhythm of drum and bass, period.

to look at other styles of music and think you can define the people in them for what they wear, rocksteadyuk, is laughable. Do you not think they have a certain view of the typical junglist? They look at you like you look at them, and surely could put you in your place.

No matter what music you love, the feeling that someone gets at a metal or grunge show, or whatever example you want to use....Is exactly the same as the feeling YOU get from your style of music.

If its not just about the music, you are not a junglist. The amen style will forever be at the heart of jungle/dnb....there you will find your answers, my friend.

nah i think you have got me a bit wrong mate.... the article i read was about stereotypes of the people that listen to certain styles of music...... what i wanted to know is what is a stereo type junglist is and how would you define that person?? what would make you come to the conclusion that he listened to DnB??......... I personally dont think there is.....

nah i think you have got me a bit wrong mate.... the article i read was about stereotypes of the people that listen to certain styles of music...... what i wanted to know is what is a stereo type junglist is and how would you define that person?? what would make you come to the conclusion that he listened to DnB??......... I personally dont think there is.....

My mistake. I was just replying to the comments you made after "just got to thinking really" in your initial post. I didnt realize that those weren't your opinions.

I think there is not a specific type of junglist because of there is no one specific type of jungle. They're many different styles in this music.

For me, it comes down to the drums....in the 94-95 style, the drums do the work for everything including melodies and hooks etc. Drums are seen in every music you can find anywhere.

I personally don't listen to much after this time period so i can't comment on the newer "techy" or "2step" style.

Back
Top Bottom