What makes a dj "good" ?

Clod.com

VIP Junglist
Takes little to no skill to mix these days with technology even noisia are just hitting play on abelton these days. People tout tune selection but a playlist full of dubs gets dnb heads moist even if the tunes are nothing special. Let me know

No matter how I think about it, unless you're talking a DMC event, it has to be selection & the ability of those selections to hold & entertain a crowd...

Look at Rodigan, dude can't mix to save his life, but his selections... Well, they're well documented to say the least.

Even back in the day in d&b when you had the likes of Ron/JJF/SL/XTC/Bryan G/Fabio/Marvellous Cain/L Double all that 94 - 96 jungle era, the amount of clanging going on with those aforementioned DJ's sets was hideous, but they still got booked out heavily cus the selections they were playing were right up there...

If I'm going out these days, I already have an expectation of what I'm going to get from a DJ in terms of skill vs selection - For example I'd be pissed off if I went to see EZ & he spent an hour introducing tunes then pressing play, wheeling it up into the next one without any of his famous CDJ wizardry... & equally if I went to see Rodigan & he was double dropping reggae tunes 5 tunes a minute, with none of his infamous voiceovers & storytelling...

Its horses for courses innit.

I think its about personal preference..

For me its all about the journey ups n downs twists and turns if you like..

Yeah it's good to hear straight up dancefloor smashers.. but a whole hour nonstop of it can get abit mundane IMHO..

For example I saw jubei not so long ago and he started with some real slow half tempo shit and he built it up perfectly there was a real atmosphere in the room..

Also I think selection is key!!

I think its about personal preference..

For me its all about the journey ups n downs twists and turns if you like..

Yeah it's good to hear straight up dancefloor smashers.. but a whole hour nonstop of it can get abit mundane IMHO..

For example I saw jubei not so long ago and he started with some real slow half tempo shit and he built it up perfectly there was a real atmosphere in the room..

Also I think selection is key!!
I remember an argument for mixing in key to make mixes flow , anyone Faldo that ?

Back
Top Bottom