What limiters are people using on their masters?

PRTCL

So I'm not really a fan of creating my own Limited version of my tunes just because i'm way too picky and I know it never sounds as good as a proper master, but I want to be able to mix with my tune while I wait for payday so that I can afford a mastering job.

I've been using a Waves plug in called the "Renaissance Axx", which is not what most people use but it's ok and it does the job. I know a lot of people are using the Ultramaximiser but does anybody use anything else? Or are there any good free ones out there?

Cheers
Joe

Not sure of any good free ones mate but I don't think you can go far wrong with a Fab-Filter Pro-L.

I find it very flexible (has 4 different types of modes) and the user interface is lovely and clear to look at.

Basically anything Fab-Filter make is banging, top bods.

i don't mean to be harsh, but why does it matter what other people use? You said you use a Waves plug for it and it does the job pretty well. If it's doing it's job, why change?

i don't mean to be harsh, but why does it matter what other people use? You said you use a Waves plug for it and it does the job pretty well. If it's doing it's job, why change?

I want to find a new limiter because it's just OK, I've heard a few people's home limiter mixes which sound really good and I'm just looking to try a new limiter which will sound better and give me a better mastering job all round.

Yep! The Loudmax sounds soooooo much better then the Renaissance Axx that I have been using. The transients in the track sounds much less forced and the overall RMS after limiting is much higher at the same Threshold value.

I'm just looking to try a new limiter which will sound better and give me a better mastering job all round.
Any limiter will sound better if your mixing job was good. It just makes things louder, not enhancing the sound (or making it better, to simplify) in any way.

The Logic one but I should try that Loudmax. I think an understanding of what you're doing is more important than the specific plug-in. It's something I struggle with.

i know its standard but the Maximiser in Ozone 5 is so good imo! I use it on my home masters

Abletons own stuff does the job so +1 for the stock plugs.
P.S. -
Sometimes when I get bored I bring out izotopes maximizer

the mastering house of balck octupus sound recently made a Q&A w/ video up on youtube
where they shared their (3 different guys) mastering chains:

they used: FabFilter Pro-L, Ozone, Sonnox Stuff or MDynamicsLimiter

video:

Fab-Filter Pro L for sure. I've used a lot of limiters in the past from Abletons stock limiter to Logic Pro's adaptive limiter to Melda productions limiters and I gotta give to Fab-Filter. If you are a logic user the adaptive limiter is also great, often Ill use both the Pro L and Ad-limiter on my master but even then, most of the limiting is done with Pro L and only slight limiting with the ad-limiter. Over all the Pro L is all you really need as far as limiting goes.

I want to find a new limiter because it's just OK, I've heard a few people's home limiter mixes which sound really good and I'm just looking to try a new limiter which will sound better and give me a better mastering job all round.

It isn't about WHAT you use, its how you use it. Its all about the mixdown. if its a solid mix, you can squash it to absolute shit and itll still sound" good". that's actually how I check my mixdowns, I drop a limiter on there and flatten the balls out of it, if shit gets lost and loses presence (kick, snare mostly), I go back to the drawing board.

with that being said, try using a string of limiters. I like to drop 2. the first with a fast attack, semi slow release to take down the harshness of the transients. this one squashes the shit out of it and brings up the gain (loudness war? I'm suited up and ready for battle). the second is a fine tuning limiter to double check the attack, release. usually a slow attack and quick release this time to even it out with not much gain reduction. then I go back and fourth and adjust to taste of the track. It works for me, might not work for others.

mixdown though. its THAT important. ;)

Back
Top Bottom