What laptop should i buy for using serato?

K motion

Rollin' deep
VIP Junglist
Ive got 500 pounds to spend, all the laptops ive been looking at wont run xp which is the most stable operating system for serato apparently. anyone got any ideas?

Serato works fine on a Windows machine. I have a laptop that's a few years old running Windows XP and it works flawlessly both in hot/sweaty clubs and at home.

Just get the best spec. machine you can with decent components, by that I mean don't buy a cheap brand laptop just for the sake of a slightly bigger disk or more memory.

Serato seems to run on almost anything I've seen (including netbooks) so any new laptop out there will do the job just fine imo.

a freind has it
says its slows but depends what specs are on your pc/laptop
better specs more better it works
Of course it depends on specs, put Serato on an old Macbook and it'll be just as bad as an old Windows laptop.

Like I said previously, I've seen Serato working flawlessly on a £300 netbook so it's requirements aren't high.

If you want the best out of your Windows install I might suggest looking into "TinyXP".

it depends how you use serato. if your gunna be using all the effects and stuff you'll need a much faster laptop than if you use it just to play the music. I use traktor scratch (which is much better cos you can use 3 decks!) on a £600 dell laptop running vista and the cpu level never goes above about 10%. and it helps to get loads of RAM

I've got an IBM Thinkpad, it runs windows xp..never really asked my friends what laptops they're usin' for serratto though, or i'd be more help..pz

Ive got a £450 Fujitsu Siemens laptop running Traktor scratch.
After a little tweaking (Changing battery settings, getting rid of screansavers and raising the latency slightly) it runs fine and it takes way more processing power than Serato so for £500 you will be able to get a really good computer to run it. You don't need to run XP either. It is more stable than Vista but I am running Vista and don't seem to have many problems.

serato is based on itunes design, so a mac is good, i used one for ages, but just got a new dell blaptop for £220, using it through vista, took a while to sort out the bugs, blue screens etc, now it works like a dream, plus with all the updates that come out i say go for something with vista. or just save up and get a macbookpro.

The minimum operating system requirements for Serato Scratch Live are:
Mac

* 1 GHz G4
* 1 GB RAM
* 1024 x 768 minimum screen resolution
* OSX 10.3.9 or higher
* Intel Macs require Scratch Live version 1.5 or higher

Windows

* 1.5 GHz PC
* 1 GB RAM
* Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or higher
* Windows Vista requires Versions 1.7.2 or higher
* Windows Vista 64-bit requires Versions 1.8.2 or higher
* Note that we recommend Windows XP over Vista for performance reasons. By using XP, you can have a lower latency (for a better vinyl feel) and better performance in general.

macs are nice to look at but they are stupidly overpriced compared to the spec you could get on a windows lappy.

Buy a decent brand laptop rather than going for cheap brands with large amounts of RAM etc... I got a toshiba for like £350 and it was pretty slow, but I took it to a shop an got a extra gig of ram put in an now its fast as fuck

The minimum operating system requirements for Serato Scratch Live are:
Mac

* 1 GHz G4
* 1 GB RAM
* OSX 10.3.9 or higher
* Intel Macs require Scratch Live version 1.5 or higher

Windows

* 1.5 GHz PC
* 1 GB RAM
* Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or higher
* Windows Vista requires Versions 1.7.2 or higher
* Windows Vista 64-bit requires Versions 1.8.2 or higher
* Note that we recommend Windows XP over Vista for performance reasons. By using XP, you can have a lower latency (for a better vinyl feel) and better performance in general.

macs are nice to look at but they are stupidly overpriced compared to the spec you could get on a windows lappy.

This is a fair point... Mac book will set you back... especially if you are only going to use it for storing music..

But I'm a Mac user so ....:rolleyes:

serato is based on itunes design, so a mac is good, i used one for ages, but just got a new dell blaptop for £220, using it through vista, took a while to sort out the bugs, blue screens etc, now it works like a dream, plus with all the updates that come out i say go for something with vista. or just save up and get a macbookpro.

don't listen to this gypsie. he talks the talk, but he don't walk the walk, ya dig.

I prefer mac, as thats what i run on. But they do cost. Best thing to do is watch apples website for refirbs. they pop up new ones everyday and there always basically brand new

Back
Top Bottom