What kind of units is dnb selling these days?

Ian_x

Just out of interest really. Wondering if now dnb is very much worldwide and the advent of MP3/youtube etc what kind of effect it has had.

I think I remember years ago in late 90's maybe when Renegade Hardware/Virus was at its peak people were talking of 2-4000 for a big tune and that would have been all vinyl.

I reckon it would've been more than that. 3000 is probably what they sell now on wax. Back in the day it would've been closer to 6 or 8 thousand

3000 is a very successful release for most labels in the scene these days.

Was a good thread about this on DOA a little while back, have a look there for some interesting discussion.

^^^^ do so please.

i seem to remember it was said that beautiful lies sold over 10.000 mp3s + the vinyl compilation.. - must have been one of the most succesful releases in the last years, together with all blue, mr happy and timewarp.

---------- Post added at 19:02 ---------- Previous post was at 19:02 ----------

and i read that mo fire sold nearly 50k copies back then ..

big ups! well deserved :) - you did a good job on the artwork promos and stuff, loved that - and the sound quality aswell as the mastering on both tunes is top notch, should have well sold way over 500 copies if you ask me. good luck for the next one!

Did Tony Coleman say on the Hospital podcast that that more vinyl was sold in 08 than any other year?

There are all sorts of statistics (not that i can reference any) that suggest vinyl sales are increasing.

Doesn't apply to drum and bass in my experience, and probably not dance music on the whole.

And i imagine hospital are still selling thousands of vinyl.

Some reading for you:

http://www.dogsonacid.com/showthread.php?t=696439

http://www.everydayjunglist.biz/2010/11/edj-presents-inside-industry.html

DOA thread is missing the post i thought was there, must have seen it somewhere else.

Cheers Saint, some interesting reading there.

---------- Post added at 12:29 ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 ----------

^^^^ do so please.

i seem to remember it was said that beautiful lies sold over 10.000 mp3s + the vinyl compilation.. - must have been one of the most succesful releases in the last years, together with all blue, mr happy and timewarp.

---------- Post added at 19:02 ---------- Previous post was at 19:02 ----------

and i read that mo fire sold nearly 50k copies back then ..

Bugger didn't realise that track was so big! Had a look on youtube as I couldn't remember how it went (obviously not one of the 10,000) and it's had over 3 millions hits on just this one page plus hundreds of thousands more on others too! Why???

Bugger didn't realise that track was so big! Had a look on youtube as I couldn't remember how it went (obviously not one of the 10,000) and it's had over 3 millions hits on just this one page plus hundreds of thousands more on others too! Why???

because its a sick track, has sick vocals on, came out of nowhere and was released on hospital.

you even got people having that as a ringtone here in germany! that doesnt happen quite often, especially with people that arent that into dnb, as you dont got ANY media coverage here, ie no dnb in radio, no cds in shops etc..

to sum it up: that track just did very well as it is was one of the best songs in the last years. simple as :D

I think dnb, expect for a few exceptions, has suffered more than many other genres. Its near impossible for any label atm to get headway beyond that of the big four. These smaller labels generally aim for a different part of the market so expect from the beginning to sell less. for example (non dnb) when ghostface released his album at the end of last year he sold far, far less than the kanye west album that came out the same year. What i want to know is what proportion of total sales in dnb atm comes from shogun, renegade, ram, hospital and critical.

because its a sick track, has sick vocals on, came out of nowhere and was released on hospital.

you even got people having that as a ringtone here in germany! that doesnt happen quite often, especially with people that arent that into dnb, as you dont got ANY media coverage here, ie no dnb in radio, no cds in shops etc..

to sum it up: that track just did very well as it is was one of the best songs in the last years. simple as :D

Yeah man, not denying it's a big tune but there are hundreds of big tunes. Just wondered why that particular one had captured lightening in a bottle. If it was big in Germany that explains some of it. Have I heard that Germany has the second biggest urban market in the world after the US or did I imagine it?

Yeah man, not denying it's a big tune but there are hundreds of big tunes. Just wondered why that particular one had captured lightening in a bottle. If it was big in Germany that explains some of it. Have I heard that Germany has the second biggest urban market in the world after the US or did I imagine it?

no guess youre right regarding games, music and films - but that song wasnt particularly "big" as big wouldve meant it was on the radio and stuff, but as i said, lots of people that werent into dnb at that time knew it - most possibly was the most well known drum and bass track over here since "tarantula" ..

Anyone know what sort of units dnb albums are selling?

I'm guessing albums on Hospital and guys like Chase & Status.....etc albums sell loads?

Back
Top Bottom