DnB What is wrong with this little clip?

DnBnSmoke

Hello everybody. I'm kind of having a depression because nothing that I do seems to satisfy me and I wanted you masters to take a look at the choon I'm trying to build and just say something about it. Tell me what's wrong. I feel like that clip's a huge mess and I don't want to build something on top of a pile of nothing.
From there I can say that I managed to cut the highend from the kick, the lows from the snares, boosted the midhighs from the hats. Also messed around a bit with the EQ of the atmosphere for it to be a little boosted (tell me if it's too loud). Also I'm not happy with the "after drop" thing. I think it doesn't have that boost it needed but I don't know what to do about it either.

Thanks for your help if you do help me.

Also suggestions for future parts of the music are more then welcome.

Peace mates. And I'm sorry if it's not in the right section ;)

lol well first off let me say this: calm down bro, ur life is fine, dont be depressed, and we'll get you through this haha.

1. take a little high end off that intro sweep (the white noise)
2. For you snare, u need to layer it a little more if u want it fatter, try using parallel compresison on it heres a link on how to do that: http://www.hometracked.com/2007/03/31/parallel-compression-for-fatter-drum-tones/
3. Nice kick, maybe up the highs on it, upwards 3500 a tad, and the highs above that.
4. really diggin the atmosphere and melody, so good work there, it sounds good heres a tip tho: on your violins- up the attack on them and release to give it a better sidchainy feel, and make it flow nicer.
5. like the pianos, maybe a bit more verb? just a tad imo
6. oh and i think u should pitch your snares down a bit

but overall nice! keep at it duder and keep posting updates here well get at you

cheers

Thanks for your help mate. Will probably just get back to that tune today's night. I'll post more about it. Thanks once again and keep safe.

EDIT: Just seen the first part now xDDDD. Thanks mate, I'll calm down and be chilled xD

Well...I can see where you want to go with this track, but for this style it's gotta be lush. When there's so few elements going on you have to fill the space up with wide sounds (contrasted by the narrow percussion/bass. The piano, loads of reverb, long decay, then run a hard compressor AFTER the verb, increase the width on the channel. Helps to have nice piano sample in the first place, don't cut off too much low mids though.

The percussion is another story, yeah I'm afraid it needs work. The hats are barely audible and too high passed. The snare is weak, try shorter tail and more bottom end...roll off 100hz or so, not too high.
Make some test loops with just percussion and post them here, until you get that right anything else you put next to it won't sound that great anyway.

Use better drum hits...that's probably the best thing, means less work/processing.

So skillworm, I did what I could about what you said to me and as a result I got this.

Clearer kick (just replaced it with another sample I had, adjusting the EQ again and stuff (should I compress it?), clearer snare (did what you told me, hope it's better now) and clearer hats ;) .

Also boosted a bit of the low mids in the synth.

Did other stuff I can't remember :p .

Please tell me if it's clearer now.

Hi man,
yeah levels are definitely better, the shorter close hat is the right level, but it's not really the right sound. The other hat just sounds like white noise...maybe its the soundcloud not helping but you really need some better quality samples. So far you're using strings and piano's....so really some natural percussion is going to work better than full on synth ones....

had a quick look for a better snare/close hat for you... try these.

http://www.freesound.org/people/sandyrb/sounds/38927/
http://www.freesound.org/people/sandyrb/sounds/35634/

Worth bearing in mind that the string sample is quite thick and is taking a lot of your space for the other sounds...

Keep working on this, i think you could have it sounding good with more work. cant help you much though.

What can I do about this :\ ?

Check the links...the close hat there should be suitable, try a basic riff to see if you can get it working to start with. like 2 hats per beat, 2nd one at half volume if that makes sense, nothing fancy, just do the basics.

And this ?

EQ. Roll off anything under, say, 130hz, depends how thick you want it, and cut some area's that the other sounds (piano for instance) occupy. Piano might occupy around 1khz or so, it's quite thin, check it on the analyser.

Back
Top Bottom