What is ur honest opinion of Dillinja??!!?

ZESTOI

time for heroes.
VIP Junglist
I never really liked any of his stuff apart from Nasty Ways, but I'm in love with good girl. Most of his other stuff I'll like for about 3 listens and then I get bored. But this has stuck. This beats nitrous rmx, fast car, twist em out, and all the others imo.

What does everyone else think?

i think the man has done alot for the dnb scene in the past, and we should be eternally grateful for that..... im told he sold his house to build the valve system... it's great there are people out there who are that dedicated to dnb - specially in these days of bandwagon jumping.

I think Dillinja for the most part is an aweful producer and I think its even more aweful that people buy his aweful tunes which gives him insentive to make even more aweful tunes thereby creating a chain of never ending aweful tunes that are just plain aweful.

On the bright side he made nice tunes in 1993 and 1994. I have a jungle tekno tune that he did called "Deadly Ceremonies" and another tune with 92 vibes (although made in 96) called "Got To" which I'm quite fond of.

He has the ability to make good tunes, he just doesn't anymore because he can get away with making rubbish because rubbish sells these days. Why do you think I'm always going on about how good jungle used to be... because it USED TO BE good! There used to be something simmilar to "Quality Control" in the stream of things.

Also the more aweful the new DNB tunes are that come out the more happy I am that I have such an elitist taste in this music because I know I'm correct and unfortunatly that also makes beautiful tunes like Finest Illusion go for 200 pounds on Ebay because theres plenty other people out there that share my opinion. This state of things also drives quality producers out of the scene like Alpha Omega because the majority of DnB artists are making crap and perhaps that means if someone is trying to make GOOD DNB the crap artists will chase the good artist out because he makes them look bad. I'm just guessing but it seems that way to me right now.

I dont really like his tunes that much, though I will listen to them.. I havent bought any of his tunes on purpose.. hehe
the only two i have are the nitrous remix (which i hear getting played more than mo fire!!) and his remix of killa beez.. but i dont normally play either.. mainly because the cunt makes them too short to be able to drop without having to rewind

Dillinjas stepped up a gear wiv his production for the killerhurtz ep - Crunch/No Future etc

I regularly drop a dillinja tune or three just to get the mood different.
in the bedroom, when youve played the fruck outta it - it aint gonna sound good anymore.
When on a killer system - most tracks rock!

In my view Dillinja is still a great producer. He's gone pretty cheesy but he knows how to tear it up and is an amazing engineer. I think his finest tracks would have to be old prototypes like Threshold and Silver blade.
I don't mind the cheese so much because at leat he's put the time in learning to produce unlike hamfisted papsters like distorted minds.
I don't think he's sold out as he still doesn't make soft tracks for the charts, he just writes a different style, which is just music to tear up a club rather than the deeper stuff he used to do and there's fuck all wrong with that.

Have to admit, Im really impressed with some of his newer stuff (with the exception of 'Fast Car'), you know 'Good Girl', 'Crunch' and 'Hands in the Air' are all gonna get seriously played when I get em!

Between now and the Cybotron album tho, I havent really been feelin him, bar a couple of tunes. Cant deny what the man has done for the scene tho. :lighter:

:devilslay

dillinja is dillinja. he represents that flavour of dnb, not the most sophisticated but it does what it does.

his tunes are like ronseal..it does exactly what it says on the tin!

anyway anyone that owns the baddest system in dnb cant be 'alf bad now can he?

i love most of his tunes but have you noticed that alot of them are short and dont evolve in the last half like other peoples do.
its like he makes the first drop and goes.. 'fuck it thatll do'

for me i think most of his tunes :shittin:, but there's a few releases that are :boom:. I must admit that most of his tunes on a big system are mega heavy but they do lack creativity from time to time.

Dillinja up to '98 - a fucking genius, made some of my favourite jungle tunes ever. His tunes had so much depth but still tore up the dance floor :thumbsup:

Dillinja post '98 - very average, not really crap but it's just he is capable of so much more than what he's doing. The man had sooooo much talent, I don't undertand why he's happy churning out the stuff he is now. Sure they work on the dancefloor for a couple of listens but then they just get boring, there's so little depth to any of his tunes :thumbsd:

Same also applies to a lot of other people - Roni Size, Lemon D, J Magic etc.

Last edited:
i've not really liked much dilli in the past 4 years or something but his production is amazing. i dont like his tunes but if you listen everything fits together really well. so in a phrase i would say ''well produced shite''

jnr_bryson said:
i've not really liked much dilli in the past 4 years or something but his production is amazing. i dont like his tunes but if you listen everything fits together really well. so in a phrase i would say ''well produced shite''

Dillinja owns. He personally played me sum new bits the other week and believe me - u aint ready o_O

I think Grooverider once said the 'Dillinja is the best bass explorer within drum & bass' which I can fully understand. I personally don't play any of his tracks out because there not what my sets are about, but I've seen this man live a few times & he's created his own sound within drum & bass, & inspired alot of people with the tracks they make today.
There are a Dillinja tracks that sound similair but he works hard & gets his rewards (look at the turn out for a Valve Night).

1992 said:
I think Dillinja for the most part is an aweful producer and I think its even more aweful that people buy his aweful tunes which gives him insentive to make even more aweful tunes thereby creating a chain of never ending aweful tunes that are just plain aweful.

On the bright side he made nice tunes in 1993 and 1994. I have a jungle tekno tune that he did called "Deadly Ceremonies" and another tune with 92 vibes (although made in 96) called "Got To" which I'm quite fond of.

He has the ability to make good tunes, he just doesn't anymore because he can get away with making rubbish because rubbish sells these days. Why do you think I'm always going on about how good jungle used to be... because it USED TO BE good! There used to be something simmilar to "Quality Control" in the stream of things.

Also the more aweful the new DNB tunes are that come out the more happy I am that I have such an elitist taste in this music because I know I'm correct and unfortunatly that also makes beautiful tunes like Finest Illusion go for 200 pounds on Ebay because theres plenty other people out there that share my opinion. This state of things also drives quality producers out of the scene like Alpha Omega because the majority of DnB artists are making crap and perhaps that means if someone is trying to make GOOD DNB the crap artists will chase the good artist out because he makes them look bad. I'm just guessing but it seems that way to me right now.

You know, not EVERYONE shares this opinion. While I may or may not be a huge Dillinja fan, there are many tunes being produced these days that are very beautiful. The amount of MUSICAL talent that exists in DnB production today is far and away better then what existed in 1992. Yah, Jungle itself may have been better back in '92...but DnB has evolved well past the "Jungle" stage.

I can list a ton of tracks from a ton of genres that are very expensive to buy because they are incredibly old. Give it 10 years, and I bet parts of my record collection are over 200 US dollars each too (much like Wishing on a Star is now in the US, theres an old DnB cut for ya). That does nothing to prove how "good" the era was, it simply proves the records have long since gone out of press, and finding a playable copy is applicably difficult.

As an up and coming producer and DJ, I find your implied opinion that anyone who producers, spins or enjoys modern DnB is some kind of idiot who doesn't know what "good" DnB is, very offensive. Maybe I am the only one, and I am taking it out of context/proportion, but you seem to rag on modern DnB and its artists/lovers quite a bit in your posts...

Okay, and on the original subject....I think DIllinja has done a lot for the DnB world, as many have stated before me...but I do think some of his latest tunes are a tad bit cheesey for my tastes, although I do have some floating around my box (like This is a Warning)..

Back
Top Bottom