what is this sound used in freestyle/breaks/electro?

Discussion in 'Production' started by djdizzy, Jul 6, 2015.

1. djdizzy

djdizzy Active Member

i've always wondered what this sound is, ever since i was a kid and loved listening to 80's b-boy music. then around the late 90's and early 00's you heard it in alot of freestyle and electro mainly (the real electro - electro breaks - not electro house).

here's an example, you hear it laid over the kick, about half-way through the song it goes up either half an octave or a few semitones:

2. lug00ber

lug00ber Active Member

It's just a sine wave with a fast pitch envelope. You should be able to recreate it with more or less any "analog" softsynth, and possibly some high and low pass filtering.

3. djdizzy

djdizzy Active Member

I think I found what it's called. supposedly they're "laser pulses" from an e-mu proteus 2000, real popular in old school hip-hop, breaks, etc.

haven't been able to recreate it to my satisfaction though. as mentioned above, a sine wave with a pitchbend via an envelope does it but it just doesn't have the same harmonics as you hear from the e-mu. i've tried various synths, from analog hardware and softsynths, i can get close but not close enough due to using different gear having different harmonics.

4. lug00ber

lug00ber Active Member

Since it's an emu, you could try to bounce it and replay with a sampler that emulates old samplers. I've been having loads of fun with the TAL Sampler over the last two weeks, check the demo :)
    There's even a sine in the "ROM" section of the sampler, so you might just be able to do the entire sound in the sampler.

http://tal-software.com/products/tal-sampler

djdizzy likes this.
  5. djdizzy

djdizzy Active Member

thanks, i'll give that TAL sampler's sine wave a try. problem is, i haven't been able to find a one shot of the sound. i'll keep searching around, the sound is such a staplepoint that it has to be somewhere online, maybe i'm just using the wrong search words.

6. lug00ber

lug00ber Active Member

At some point, E-mu released the Proteus VX VST instrument. I had it because I had an E-mu 1820m sound card (which I no longer have). Could be that it has what you need if you can source it :)