What is the future of music?

I'm gunna try and put a sensible answer down. But i can't promise anything.

It'll prbably be the same.
The top 40 will look exactly the same as is does now, only with different artists. But with the same sounds ect..

The occasional apperance by a Dubstep/DnB producer sneaking into teh 30th spot.

DnB will be the same pretty much.
Whatever is 'chosen' as teh dancefloor pick, then EVERYONE will copy that particular sound, like they have done recently, with teh Hazard sound (if ya get me).
No digs here, i like it. but it's true.

You'll still have your sub genres that occassionaly get played out inna clubs because 'it's cool'.
Which is a shame, because they should get played on the merit of it being a good tune, not because all teh little kiddies love off it for a month. But hey.

Andy C will get back to playing a full on late 90's set that everyone under the age of 20 will hate. But will be loved off by me and the rest of the sane people.

TC will make a comeback and will be laughed back into the DnB wilderness after releasing his 20th remix of Rockstar, which is now called cockstar.

Dubstep will fade away into the distance because people will finally realise that a) you can't rave to it, and b)it's utter shite.

Ed Rush will find the lost DAT tape of Alien Girl and finally get it a re-press, of which i will buy 20 copies, and probably cry with joy.

Dom will release another tonk album that will get little love from the 'big' DJ's becasue it's too dark. But will still get some love from Bailey, because Bailey's a dappa.

And finally, i will be 30 an wonder what happened to my hairline.

dunno
producers will get frustrated with the fact they're makin fuck all money for their hardwork, especially in the dnb scene
all genres of music can be found on soulseek and the most you can viably sell a tune is £1-£2 on mp3, or £5-£7 on vinyl but you don't make loads profit back, so u gotta sell a hell of a lot of tunes to make it seem worthwhile
its worrying, dunno what the future holds, vinyl is still selling but for how long who knows...bigup the people still supportin the cause though, without you, our scene would be in big limbo

Last edited:
dunno
producers will get frustrated with the fact they're makin fuck all money for their hardwork, especially in the dnb scene
all genres of music can be found on soulseek and the most you can viably sell a tune is £1-£2 on mp3, or £5-£7 on vinyl but you don't make loads profit back, so u gotta sell a hell of a lot of tunes to make it seem worthwhile
its worrying, dunno what the future holds, vinyl is still selling but for how long who knows...bigup the people still supportin the cause though, without you, our scene would be in big limbo

This is already happening imo.
I can't tell for sure.
But there has to be a point where as a producer, you'd get pissed that your effort and passion isn't reaping it's deserved rewards.

Personally, as long as vinyl is about, i'll be there with my tenner inna air, ready to spend it on wax.
But obviously it's a dying form of music, no matter how much people want to go on about it.

The day will come when the pressing plants will close and there will only be a small handfull of indipendants doing it.
But i hope that time doesn't come in my lifetime, well, atleast whilst i'm still loving buying vinyl...

Dubstep will DEFINITELY fade away. As a genre I havent really seen it progress apart from reggae/dub sounding stuff into wobble crap. I don't see any subgenres emerging for it.

Dunno about dnb, hopefully it will be as strong as ever in 20 years or something.

I'm asking because there's been a lot of debate going on about the subject of digital media. While I don't think recorded music will die completely, it will lose it's value (ie. mp3 prices will go lower and lower) because there is so much free/pirated stuff going around with better and better quality. Vinyl is a dying breed that's for sure, and as a producer/home DJ i hate that. I would like to have a vinyl release before it dies off completely... Of course this will have an effect on producers and musicians, since the medium on which they present their music on is dying, or at least there is less and less profit to be gained from it.

One thing that seems likely is that when the 'value' of recorded music becomes less and less due to piracy and free digital distribution, live performance will have a much bigger role in getting food on a musicians table. No doubt this will be seen in the rave scene as well, and it's already clearly visible with more and more DJ's going with the laptop & controller/CDJ combo. Unfortunately for the raver, it will mean bigger ticket prices in venues since the music on the medium itself isn't selling enough, be it mp3, cd or vinyl.

It's all very much speculation however, that's why I'm asking you guys.

Being more and more live performace friendly will undoubtedly have an effect of the content of the music as well. Maybe that will lead dnb into a new era that is much needed in this current decline of things.

I'm gunna try and put a sensible answer down. But i can't promise anything.

It'll prbably be the same.
The top 40 will look exactly the same as is does now, only with different artists. But with the same sounds ect..

The occasional apperance by a Dubstep/DnB producer sneaking into teh 30th spot.

DnB will be the same pretty much.
Whatever is 'chosen' as teh dancefloor pick, then EVERYONE will copy that particular sound, like they have done recently, with teh Hazard sound (if ya get me).
No digs here, i like it. but it's true.

You'll still have your sub genres that occassionaly get played out inna clubs because 'it's cool'.
Which is a shame, because they should get played on the merit of it being a good tune, not because all teh little kiddies love off it for a month. But hey.

Andy C will get back to playing a full on late 90's set that everyone under the age of 20 will hate. But will be loved off by me and the rest of the sane people.

TC will make a comeback and will be laughed back into the DnB wilderness after releasing his 20th remix of Rockstar, which is now called cockstar.

Dubstep will fade away into the distance because people will finally realise that a) you can't rave to it, and b)it's utter shite.

Ed Rush will find the lost DAT tape of Alien Girl and finally get it a re-press, of which i will buy 20 copies, and probably cry with joy.

Dom will release another tonk album that will get little love from the 'big' DJ's becasue it's too dark. But will still get some love from Bailey, because Bailey's a dappa.

And finally, i will be 30 an wonder what happened to my hairline.

1) That would be awesome. I want a set when he teases in Sound in Motion, System Error, and Human Future.

2) I hope this happens.

Honestly, I dont give a shit about the future of music. I can't change it, as for that, at least thousands of people are needed.

What I wish to happen is a huge retrogress, music used to be so much better back in the day. But with modern technology, the quality of the music could be improved on. And all that boring stuff, but I am listening to a serious amount of back in the day tunes. Rush, pink floyd, james brown, congo natty, berrington levy, and all that good stuff.

To add on to what i've already said;

Hype will also become so miserable that his soul will collapse in on itself and he will therefor become the all conquering supreme being of the universe.

FACT.

Dubstep will DEFINITELY fade away. As a genre I havent really seen it progress apart from reggae/dub sounding stuff into wobble crap. I don't see any subgenres emerging for it.

Dunno about dnb, hopefully it will be as strong as ever in 20 years or something.

I have felt that way about dubstep too, there are some chill sounds out there though. Might not be your stylee but its better than most of that noizeee crap.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uak2Cxiaa0E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhcesCtO_hM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq6yf1H2p3E

I don't agree, I agree with the wobble part it hasnt progressed. What about the chainsaw sound which is getting lots and lots of love atm. Exicision, Datsik, Reso, 16Bit (not that I like it) but its definitly different and much more agressiv then other dubstep subgenres. Dubstep is pretty huge in the UK... I've been told... whereas everywhere else nobody knows about dubstep the groups/promoters are builded right now, people are more and more interested in dubstep (you just see it at the amount of dnb dj's playing other kinda of music in their set). I really doubt it will fade away in the next couple of years and I think it has still big potential even tho, as someone already said, It's barely danceable.

I don't agree, I agree with the wobble part it hasnt progressed. What about the chainsaw sound which is getting lots and lots of love atm. Exicision, Datsik, Reso, 16Bit (not that I like it) but its definitly different and much more agressiv then other dubstep subgenres. Dubstep is pretty huge in the UK... I've been told... whereas everywhere else nobody knows about dubstep the groups/promoters are builded right now, people are more and more interested in dubstep (you just see it at the amount of dnb dj's playing other kinda of music in their set). I really doubt it will fade away in the next couple of years and I think it has still big potential even tho, as someone already said, It's barely danceable.

"Who cares? It's dubstep!"

Back
Top Bottom