WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO MAKE MIDBASSES

MistaBossman

Just wondering literally where to start with mid basses. I have Massive and Logic as well as FM8 and Absynth and i litterally am not sure where to start when it comes to making them. Any clue? Im talking midbasses like this http://soundcloud.com/symmetry-recordings/break-something-new-xtrah which we often see people like Break, S.P.Y, and Calyx and Teebee use in there productions. Those deep dark, growly, almost groaning baselines? Anyone care to explain or have a patch? Thank you.

I've found it's all about distortion and harmonics. Start with a straight sine wave (EX24 default) disable output 1&2, add some slight overdrive to provide some harmonics, add an analyser after and you can see what it does to the bass and make 2 equal sends.

Send 1: Add some overdrive, enough to give it weight, but not so much to colour it. Low pass the 1st at approx 90hz

Send 2: hi pass at approx 90hz and distort using small amounts of your favourite distortion plugs to give distinctive colour, lots of a little not visa versa. At this point in might sound a mess dont worry, try to then filter, modulate and EQ to taste, that should bring it back. What you can then do is make a send on this bus to another and hi pass that around 2000hz and make a real high gritty nasty top end to it. I then tend to buss the mid and hi back together and compress/EQ leaving bus 1 pure and uncompressed (except side chain if necessary)

It doesn't have to be a sine. Experiment.

+1 on the emu, i got a 4xt ultra and its boss.

in the old days it was a synth overdriven through a tube and resampled as many times as you need. try samplers not so much synths (especially massive, sounds like digital crap for midranges imo)

Experimenting - layering and effects, all you need to start making any kind of midheavy basslines.

If you are lazy tho, get massive.

I'd stay away from massive. I've got it and never use it however its a good starter synth as its relatively easy to get the basics of synthesis. However I can pretty much guarantee the likes of break etc don't use massive. It has a very blatant digital feel to it, It is good at what it does. I prefer the sample/resample route, an EMU would be great but not all of us have access. Make a bass, resample it into the EX24 fuck it up, bounce and resample and so on and so on. The process is called "Rinse and repeat"

Last edited:
just stick some classic waves in a sampler + filter, lfo, pitch, envelope, apply fx, bounce and stick back in again... surprising what you can do with a few rich waves + some plugs

Back
Top Bottom