What is "DUB" and where can i get these tracks?

sstarch1

Question 1:

Sometimes on tracklists for the mixes here, i see "DUB" as the label, as opposed to Ram, Hospital, etc? What does that mean?

Question 2:

Does anyone know when/where i can get these tracks on vinyl?

Calibre - TV On
Marcus Intalex - Astro Dance
St. Files - Moods
Upbeats - Girl Gone
Klute - Halloween (?)
Break - Surroundings

Question 1:

Sometimes on tracklists for the mixes here, i see "DUB" as the label, as opposed to Ram, Hospital, etc? What does that mean?

Question 2:

Does anyone know when/where i can get these tracks on vinyl?

Calibre - TV On
Marcus Intalex - Astro Dance
St. Files - Moods
Upbeats - Girl Gone
Klute - Halloween (?)
Break - Surroundings

lol. ok. Dub means unreleased or forthcoming a/k/a not out on release yet a/k/a not available. Like most of theese tunes you have listed (yn)

lol. ok. Dub means unreleased or forthcoming a/k/a not out on release yet a/k/a not available. Like most of theese tunes you have listed (yn)

watch out we've got an a/k/a wielding bastard, take cover!

lee_scratch_perry.jpg

dub or dubplate

A dubplate is an acetate disc — usually 12 inches, 10 inches or 7 inches in diameter — used in mastering studios for quality control and test recordings before proceeding with the final master, and subsequent pressing of the record to be mass produced on vinyl. The "dub" in dubplate is an allusion to the plate's use in "dubbing" or "doubling" the original version of a track[1]. The name dubplate also refers to an exclusive, 'one-off' acetate disc recording pioneered by Reggae sound systems but also used by drum and bass and other dance music artists, DJs and sound systems.

These dubplates will often be either unreleased recordings (which may or may not end up being made available to the general public) or exclusive versions or remixes of existing recordings. They are often used as a market research tool to assess the probable sales of a tune once it's released, as they are far cheaper to produce than a pressed vinyl. However, because they have a limited life-span they can only be used about fifty times.

Vinyl dubplates are a recently-developed format which allow extremely durable recordings to be made (lasting 90% as long as pressed vinyl) and are more suited to cases where no release is imminent, or the release date is a long time away

The word Dub came from teh Reggae sceen, in the 50's and 60's they were known as aceteates, but started to be known as black wax and then dubs on the reggae scene..it basically means you might be looking at a long wait to get a copy yourself

The word Dub came from teh Reggae sceen, in the 50's and 60's they were known as aceteates, but started to be known as black wax and then dubs on the reggae scene..it basically means you might be looking at a long wait to get a copy yourself

Long or forever, some dubs never come out.

Oh man....what did i do!

AAAHHHH!!!!!

Alright Thanks for answering questions 1.

what about 2? Any leads?

also Add

Imogen Heap vs. High Contrast - Headlok to that list.....

2) Get to know the producer/record label and they might give/sell you a copy. Otherwise you ain't gonna see it for months/ever. That's just the way it works...

yeah that is right but..dont get confused as a dub version of a tune can mean that its a version without vocals.....

but yeah, on peoples tracklistings it means dubplate....

Pedantic enough for ya?

Back
Top Bottom