What is causing it?

Quotec

When I play my track at loud volumes it starts to sound really bad and messed up although on lower volumes it´s OK. When listening to professional tracks they seem to sound well-rounded at all volumes. So what is causing this problem and how to fight it?

I have been mixing with a limiter for ages, recently I heard it should be kind of bad and so I replaced Fruity limiter with a default Pro L limiter which makes my tracks instantly louder. Should I avoid use of limiters when mixing, is that what you are suggesting?

I never mix into a limiter. Mastering is for improving a good mix, not fixing a bad one.

I do have a bypassed limiter on the master though so I can switch it on every now and then if I'm using a plug in that spontaneously jumps in amplitude. Especially when adding high amounts of feedback with Delays etc

Are you talking about gaining the output into the limiter, or gaining your audio interface?

Dont get it, my limiter is on master track and then I use default camel phat setting for all things that go over 0dB to keep it right. I have little knowledge about limiters and so I do what sounds good to me. If raising gain on limiter(Pro L) makes it sound a little better then I dont hold myself back.

- - - Updated - - -

What I understood is that I should get a clean and balanced mix and all loudness issues should be solved during mastering/limiting.

What I understood is that I should get a clean and balanced mix and all loudness issues should be solved during mastering/limiting.

nope, mastering/limiting will make a good mix shine or a bad mix even shittier. Sounds like youre smashing the shit out of your track with the limiter tbh.
Whats the gain reduction reading on your limiter reading? You shouldnt really need to send it over 3-5 db to make it 'loud'

^ what he said

Get as good a mixdown as you can without any limiters or compression etc on the master output
It will be quieter yeah, but boosting a decent sounding track is so much easier than a bad one and you get full benefit
If you bypassed the limiter now, the tune would sound all over the place

Once youve got the tune sounding good, then add mastering

Back
Top Bottom