what hardware to get?

DJError

AKA Error
VIP Junglist
im finally getting a imac and i want to get some good hardware for it.
Does anyone know good mixers/keyboard synths or any other hardware thats useful for producing. im not looking for really expensive stuff just up to about £300, if anyone could help it would be appreciated

im finally getting a imac and i want to get some good hardware for it.
Does anyone know good mixers/keyboard synths or any other hardware thats useful for producing. im not looking for really expensive stuff just up to about £300, if anyone could help it would be appreciated

get the Korg kaoss pad 3. (KP3) It has so many different types of filtering effects amazing for drums and vocals. Pitch bending, flanging, it even acts as a mini synth. Very good value, and it's used in every single one of my tunes. Best thing I ever bought.

also maybe a used juno 106. but that's my opinion. You can also get an MPC 500 for about 500 $ canadian that is used. Good for sequencing, and other things. But you might not really need this.

Those are my suggestions.

good to get a midi controller
novation remote SL is great..

can confirm this, its a little expensive, but at the moment the best controller for synths/fx with so many knobs/faders/buttons, automap is brilliant software. But really only would buy it if u like to get deep into sound design.

I'm going with some HW bussing options instead of synths. Was planning on getting an 8-out interface, a few (good) compressors and then bussing my tracks into them and back to the computer as a stereo mix.

and i could get a £6.5K elysia alpha, but we're suggesting shit for a 300 budget! lol

Kro, id say scout ebay for a Novation SL Zero mk1, they can go as low as £100. with another £100, you can grab a Korg K45 for a nice and simple keyboard. then you're left with another £100 for a pair of headphones, like the DT990.

300lbs = give or take $600?

Not sure... what are 'you' looking for specifically?
Do you need a Synth? A Mixer? what...?

For $600... I say nay on the Hardware.... perhaps you should grab a pair of quality Softsynths and a Midi KB instead?

All depends on what 'you' and your studio require though...

yo thanks for all the replys, very helpful. i dont really have a budget of £300, but i just wouldnt want to spend over that much on one thing if you know what i mean, id rather space it out so i can get a few additions for my studio set up.

protoplasym - i just want a synth and a mixer for the moment really but im not too experienced with hardware so i just wanted to see what kind of things people would suggest just so i know what other people are using/what i could use in the future etc.

but thanks everyone for the replys

midi controllers will control interfaces in logic. some do more than others, but at least a basic one is NEEDED in my opinion. the difference in banging out something on a keyboard vs plugging in a hook with a mouse is huge!

I'm going with some HW bussing options instead of synths. Was planning on getting an 8-out interface, a few (good) compressors and then bussing my tracks into them and back to the computer as a stereo mix.

Just get UAD 2 instead... less cords
and will sound better.. unless you got
a few 100k to spend on vintage rack mount
units...

is that basically so i can control things within logic using that controller? or does it have inbuilt stuff?
ive never really known what midi controllers properly do

its exactly that a controller...
wont make any sound of its own accord...
automap 3 is really spot on...
automatically assigns faders/dial
to parameters of the VST/VSTi your
triggering.. keys are semi weighted
and have a nice feel to them for
the price range...

its exactly that a controller...
wont make any sound of its own accord...
automap 3 is really spot on...
automatically assigns faders/dial
to parameters of the VST/VSTi your
triggering.. keys are semi weighted
and have a nice feel to them for
the price range...

sweet thanks mate i think im gonna get that, a korg kaoss pad 3 and a behringer xenyx 1204FX

Just get UAD 2 instead... less cords
and will sound better.. unless you got
a few 100k to spend on vintage rack mount
units...

Yeah i thought about that too but unfortunately my computer case is just about full. Getting those would require a new computer case, moving all the stuff into that and that's too much of a hassle... Will keep it in mind tho, havent made any purchases yet.

good to get a midi controller
novation remote SL is great..
not reallly hardware. Get a real synth, then at least you're not going the route of only VST's for the rest of your life. A real synth is a midi controller. And it sounds better then a lifeless program.

not reallly hardware. Get a real synth, then at least you're not going the route of only VST's for the rest of your life. A real synth is a midi controller. And it sounds better then a lifeless program.

Could you elaborate on this? Do you mean if it is routed through and outboard or something so that you get air? I'm not trying to come across as arrogant, im actually interested in the differences in sound between software and hardware. I would guess that certain hardware synths would have some sort of character to them but I can't imagine the difference between a softsynth and hardsynth being very big. A sinewave is still just a sinewave sort of deal.

Monitors may be a bit out of the question but i'd personally suggest a damn good pair of headphones and a midi keyboard. Hearing properly what you are doing is the only thing you really NEED but a midi keyboard is a godsend for working on hooks and manipulating the sound through your softsynths with just a drumtrack in the background or something.

Last edited:
Dont think anyones mentioned a simple audio interface yet? Doesnt need to be anything over the top, even a basic interface by a fairly good company will be a great improvement over a standard soundcard, especialy if your looking at sending audio out through external devices etc.

Dont think anyones mentioned a simple audio interface yet? Doesnt need to be anything over the top, even a basic interface by a fairly good company will be a great improvement over a standard soundcard, especialy if your looking at sending audio out through external devices etc.

My sentiments exactly...a good soundcard would probably give you the biggest bang for your buck.

Back
Top Bottom