DnB What got you into Drum and Bass?

Walked into our computer room to ask dad if I could have some ice cream when I was 12 and heard "Granite" by Pendulum on a surfing video he was watching. That got me listening to pendulum, then I saw them live in late 2010, with ShockOne supporting. Shockone's set was just so exciting, the amount of different music that was in there. That's pretty much why I listen to dnb

THANKS MATE, I FEEL SO FUCKING OLD NOW

Bahahaha why's that? I think I might be one of the youngest people on here who regularly post

You may well be. But back in 2010 I was in full flight, raves, festivals etc - not sure about Tyranny but it makes me feel old as fuck saying your first experience was then!

Think mine was around 06' but wasn't really paying a lot of attention until end of 07'/2008. Was just going out getting blotto every single weekend.

You may well be. But back in 2010 I was in full flight, raves, festivals etc - not sure about Tyranny but it makes me feel old as fuck saying your first experience was then!

Think mine was around 06' but wasn't really paying a lot of attention until end of 07'/2008. Was just going out getting blotto every single weekend.

One of my good mates is 36 and he has been there since it began, hearing his stories of the jungle days makes me so fuckin jealous, i genuinely wish i was there from the start :(

Ahh yeah I get ya. Sounds awesome really. In Australia there's not really any opportunities for people under 18 to go to any gigs so take comfort in the fact that your experiences at the beginning were probably better than mine ;).

A CD called "California Drum & Bass" by 119 Crew... The crew consists of Heretic, Josh Swissman, and Golgo 13. I got that badboy in like 96 I think it was. It had hip-hop samples and ragga licks all throughout it, just blew my mind.... But at the same time I felt like I had been listening to it my whole life.

I was into hardcore before that, but that CD turned me into a junglist overnight. There was no going back after that.

Lucky me, the crew lived in the same area as I did at the time. So I could (and did) go see them at raves all the time. Jungle was blowing up in southern California at that time. Was easy to get lost in it and go to all jungle shows every week.

Was a big pendulum fan then a friend showed me a brand new track called Batbots by Billain. been breathing eating sleeping neuro since that day

For me i started listening to afx and prodigy not realizing the influence of dnb from these guys. But then at fye i was looking for a new cd and came across dieselboys dungeonmasters guide. Loved that cd. And into the world of dnb/jungle i went and never looked back.

Hazard - Rubber Chicken
Twisted Individual - Gimp Mask rmx or Crap Rinse Out rmx (can't remember which, but it was one of them)
Roni Size - Dirty Beats

all played on Radio 1 around the same time I started going to secondary school and older kids on the bus to school used to get the bus driver to put on dnb tapes from their tape packs. Mix of both, and interested to what else the genre had to offer. Still to this day, no other music can touch it :)

i got into dnb via making dnb. I was already making massive attack style HipHop/TripHop in Cubase and started messing around with a "Breakbeat" sample pack that came with a computer music magazine. After making a few really unorganised and not very good 150bpm dnb/breakbeat tracks a friend of mine gave me a cd called "The Ultimate Drum and Bass" album which had 6 cds which was basically a dnb history lesson. From that moment on, it was dnb and nothing but dnb.. That was about 8 years ago lol!

the fucking energy it shares with metal (myfirst love ) combined with the good vibes in the scene

This.

I can remember it as yesterday...We had LAN party with friends (sweet times of Warcraft III) and I played SlipKnot from my PC. One of their song start with Amen beat (i think its SIC) and my friend asked me from when I listen to drum and bass. Drum and bass?Whats that shit, this is METAL!(imagine wild guitars and screams as i said that:) Next day he bring me CD with some dnb and i fall in love. Even more after my first dnb party when i could not just hear, but FEEL the sound and everybody was friendly and had good weed :D

Bahahaha why's that? I think I might be one of the youngest people on here who regularly post

I got into Jungle / D&B off a tape that a mate gave me with T Power - Mutant Jazz on it, that was about 95, then Logical Progression, Black Secret Technology and Timeless and Platinum Breakz all came out within a year of each other and that was it, I was hooked. Mad to think you were yet to be born!

As for Granite, I used to review DnB records for an Irish magazine and remember giving that an utterly scathing review when it came out.

As for Granite, I used to review DnB records for an Irish magazine and remember giving that an utterly scathing review when it came out.

Damn, what were your main criticisms of it? I guess that was one of the first tracks which demonstrated their rock/Dnb sound they were making. There's no doubt that we'd both have had different prejudices upon first listening to it, with me being someone who only really heard radio music, and you already being in the DnB scene.

Back
Top Bottom