What got you into DNB?

theone

Just say no to dubstep!
VIP Junglist
There is another thread on what got you into mixing but I want to know which rave, tape, dj, mc or tune got you completely hooked on dnb. Any particular tunes which you rinsed?

Mine would be a Phantasy tape from Slammin Vinyl 97. It was skibadee chatting over fluid by Dillinja and Ready or Not which got me hooked.

An Andy C tape with Skiba and Fearless later and that was me hooked.

good shit man i remember 2004 yeah !!!!
Pendulum breakbeat Kaos man yeah i was hook
but i was at a club called spiral in north carolinia
and i had vision it was not dnb but i new djing was
my calling it was dj iceyat the booth man had crazzy
skills very good trip on the moon man yeah .........so that what happend the next week i got a job and soon i got my first pair of turntables
numark tt200 and! the old ass 03 mixer they had before they stoped making them went down town
baltimorecity to the record shop and met a old school dj and he taut me how to beatmatch and jugal beats and ive been moving up the ladder ever since with newer suff and of course scracthlive there is only one thing i would change i would have never joind the army becuase now most of my time now im on shift at a gate ...IN BAGHDAD hoping a crazzy f@ck dosent drive up and blow use the f@ck up i love my life:beers:

i used to nick tapes off ne1 i could.. i always had the jungle maina 94 cds.. etc ez rollers where good bak then.. 100% dnb cds etc like years ago

Well, i'll put it to you like this. Im a drummer and i've been a drummer every since i was 4. Ok, heres the crazy thing. When i grew up i loved listening to Bass cds, ya know like " Bass Patrol " or even Magic Mike. And what i use to do was beat on my desk at school or when im home just play fast beats. Mind you not know that this type of music was out there, but i always prayed that it was music like that out there for me. And what would ya know, you boy was raving at the time and i heard the bassline to Tech Itch's " Telekenetic " and that was just a teaser. And then i bought Dieselboy's " The 6th Session " and J- majiks track " Solarize " was it for me... So from then on i've been spinning DnB... Its my heart and my love, so i take it very seriously. A boys dream you would call it =-] ............

IT was around 98 when i started playing hip hop @ raves, i would usually stay after sets n hang out cause i liked the other genres of music. i got tired of all the sweaty fruity candy ravers in the other areas n dnb was so new n raw coming from a hip hop background, it was kinda a natural progression. I went off to Audio Engineering school in 2003 and met a bunch of dnb dj's n producers who helped me to make my switch.
Growing up id get to see the U.S. big dogs like Diesel Boy, Hive, Photek and on occasion i would get the honor of watching some of the UK's top dogs. dj's like Mapi, Andy, Fresh, Goldie, Roni Size, Crust, Die, SUV, Ed Rush, Optical, Fabio, Grooverider, Total Science, Aphrodite...whenever they would b anywhere near California i would make the trip to go watch..oh yeah and THE JUNGLE BROTHERS....wat ever happened to those dudes?

Hip Hop began to go to shit in the late 90's, I started listening to downtempo, then heard Goldies - A Drum n Bass Dj Mix and after hearing Total Science - Champion Sound(Hardcorewillneverdie) and Doc Scotts Drumz 95 it got the ball rolling, and havent really looked back since

AK1200's Fully Automatic. Was like 1998, and he did a show in the club Firestone in Orlando. When he spun Drowning that night, I was done. Which kinda sucked, because we didn't have a lot of DnB in Orlando at that time.

The London Update of Drum and Bass.

My best mate got given it on tape by a dj his parents knew, and we were like, wtf is this? No such basslines or crisp breaks had ever blessed my ears. i'll never forget that day. then it was onto Pure Drum and Bass, mixed by Grooverider. none of our mates were into it at the time, but we knew it was somethin special. no looking back from then on

Jungle mania tapes

Same. All about swapping them at school lol.
One day i went into my mates studio in Brighton and sat down while he made me a cuppa.
I looked on the wall and he had a 3 gold disc with Jungle Mania wrote on it. Turns out he put the damn thing out haha couldn't believe it!

thought there was a thread like this... but here goes again, i think it was the year 97 or 98 when i first heard my mate play goldie feat. noel gallagher - temper temper. that was the first dnb tune i ever heard, after that i heard zinc's ready or not... and the rest is history as they say :)

late bloomer back in the day, but now almost a veteran :teeth:

Ive always known about dnb but never really listened to it as much as most of the dance subgenres, then i started to follow on and now its basically all i listen to, i love dnb because there are so many styles, chill out is nice when your in a calm mood but then you've got the dark stuff which is sick at parties and that.

Back
Top Bottom