DnB What frequency ceiling do you have for your bass? What floor?

20hz high-pass is enough....dont forget infrabass....nothing like a funktion1 rig rumbling out a 20hz booooooom

I seldom use it.
I started trying it out when the whole 'peaking from filters' thing arised, and because I read somewhere that it happened because the EQ messed with the phase. It did lessen the peaking, but only a bit less then the channel EQ, so unfortunately it didnt end up fixing the issue.
Sounds better, but obv has a lot more latency so i only use it for resampling drums and maybe bass.

It can get very annoying, because for example high passing a house kick 95hz significantly lowers the RMS, but raises the peak around 4db. So when i'm trying to get my drums and bass thick and fat, giving it room for the sub ends up loosing its power and makes it take up more space. Not good.

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation and you're spot on with regards to the increased latency.

Those resonance peaks can be a bitch to deal with, Logic's channel EQ–while I do like it–has a tendency to peak frequencies more often than not. Have you messed with FabFilter's EQ? I find it to be very transparent with regards to sculpting sounds without the peaks...and it has built in m/s which is always nice.

that is a brilliant way to describe rolf harris.

cOlOnEl SaNdErS aTe A bAd BaTcH oF cHiCkEn... lol!

50 hz is a pretty low ceiling tbh

Actually 50hz is the apex of where your true sub RUMBLES the most powerful and most! On a true and proper sound system, your bass should tingle your nose basically and rumble your whole body. And create such immense vibrational pressure! That is if you stop at 50 hz. haha! I got 3 tutorial i have coming up for you all!

Last edited:
cOlOnEl SaNdErS aTe A bAd BaTcH oF cHiCkEn... lol!

Actually 50hz is the apex of where your true sub RUMBLES the most powerful and most! On a true and proper sound system, your bass should tingle your nose basically and rumble your whole body. And create such immense vibrational pressure! That is if you stop at 50 hz. haha! I got 3 tutorial i have coming up for you all!

that depends on the type of driver, the cabinet and the space its installed into, theres no set frequency at which all subs produce the most volume, or apparent volume, each is unique, most aim to produce the full range of sub frequencies with equal sound pressure levels

also the way we perceive sound makes a diffrence, and each perception is unique

that depends on the type of driver, the cabinet and the space its installed into, theres no set frequency at which all subs produce the most volume, or apparent volume, each is unique, most aim to produce the full range of sub frequencies with equal sound pressure levels

also the way we perceive sound makes a diffrence, and each perception is unique

Totally understand definitely Well this is coming from KRK user. Idk about external subs but I only use two 6" monitors!
And furthermore, I dont really quite know the difference between like a JBL's bass, and my KRK's bass. But really the difference is soo small that Idc, when my bass sounds perfect regardless of machine I use to hear, the minor differences they make in say a Pioneer system, or PK sound wont even really matter nor even be noticable if that much.

Accuracy is the artists true dream, wish and goal, but ehh its really to each their own make best use of what you have! KRK's actually give a VERY HIGHLY accurate bass response, High end could be a bit tighter and more accurate, along with a midrange speaker on as well but hey for 400 bucks for both, and for an underground producer/label, whats not to love about these bad boys? Especially since they actually play out soo good.

And also I do agree the way we perceive music is different, rather Im saying just let the frequency fill your earholes, no perception necesary at all. This is to simply get the most accurate reading your ears can get! Just physics really haha. Human ears are the same and we do, based on hearing damages or not, hear differently but still relatively the same, haha!

As mentioned before, that would really limit your creativity, not everyone at home has a soundsystem that will make them "rumble",
some people just listen with earbuds, do what works best for your tune

You are right, in that you must find a balance, where the mix sounds great on anything it is played back on - that is a far more important point, than the make or price tag of the monitors in question

although, the difference between KRK's, especially the 6inch driver model, and other monitors, is actually far greater than you might imagine, and is probably why you feel that 50hz is so powerful, because a 6inch driver cannot produce, say 35hz, at the same pressure as 50hz. KRK's sure do kick hard I agree, but the times i've used them (8inch model), i've been left longing for the detail of my 3-way full range cabs

get urself a sub and some bass traps (sub is pointless without bass traps, if you want detail), ur enthusiasm for sound tells me, that u will find the world of frequencies it will open up, to be massivly exciting :D

Last edited:
You are right, in that you must find a balance, where the mix sounds great on anything it is played back on - that is a far more important point, than the make or price tag of the monitors in question

although, the difference between KRK's, especially the 6inch driver model, and other monitors, is actually far greater than you might imagine, and is probably why you feel that 50hz is so powerful, because a 6inch driver cannot produce, say 35hz, at the same pressure as 50hz. KRK's sure do kick hard I agree, but the times i've used them (8inch model), i've been left longing for the detail of my 3-way full range cabs

get urself a sub and some bass traps (sub is pointless without bass traps, if you want detail), ur enthusiasm for sound tells me, that u will find the world of frequencies it will open up, to be massivly exciting :D

Definitily bro! And from what I know I know and have learned, I have learned basically exactly EVERY single thing there is to know about frequency, now acoustics, and other stuff such as what to do with that said frequency im still improving, But it DAMN sure helps to know what frequency sounds like in its purest form. Acoustics, I have NOTHING of in my room haahhaa and technique and skill im for DAMN SURE improving on even still. But once I fully learned how frequency works... I think I did actually shed a tear... HAHA! Yeah the 6"s are really nice! Not that much more difference from a KRK to a proffesional system, except proffesional is much clearer.

I definitely totally understand bro! Yeah krk's i consider like midline quality. Being really great and accurate but it is what you pay for! And its not really even bad in any ways! Thats why it helps to know physics of sound and how energy works, so you can truly in reality work on ANY system with no change to your mixdown because you know how that certain speaker works, what it lags, what it doesnt, etc!To learn frequency you need absolutely No theorums, no math equations, no textbooks neceesary Thats how I learned over the course of like 4-5 years of straight learning and practice, and im still learning every single day! By practice, and observations!

It also helps to learn physics.. no not with a textbook, but drop an apple, drop a pencil, observe how gravity as one example works. Play with frequencies while looking at it in a spectrograph, see how much slower the vibration gets as you lower the frequency, or how higher and tighter you make it as you go up frequencies!

God, frequency is such a beautiful thing! Time to go work on some dnb

I mean my whoring of the entire 50hz frequency spectrum is because thats just my personal preference, but I actually have SEVERAL songs that go beyond 50, all the way to 80, and just being from 60-80. So its really to each their own on whatever song they are building, but general rule of thumb is your bass regions are in fact accurately speaking, 0-80hz anything beyond is just too much and too tight for the system to handle and for your bass to even be dynamic anymore. Of course you would want to cut off 20hz.

Now look Some basses to me especially just the rumble are like this to me:

(Cuz i luv to stay in that 20-50 regions like a baws.. Teehee!) haahaha

40-50hz= your chest pressure bass, the rumble that shakes and vibrates the entire dance floor.
~35-40 = some body for the entire sub But not too much!
~20-35 = Your widest body of bass frequenc. It adds that extra padding to your bass making it a fully solid and full bodied bass.

Again thats just one example that I use alot of the time with a difference in the actual bass regions per different song. Its not all the same! Just an example though <3

Last edited:
time to put this to rest

FM_clubmix_dsktp.jpg

time to put this to rest

FM_clubmix_dsktp.jpg

Sick graphic bro! Although I only highly disagree with the drum and bass kick portion... That can go all the way down to about 60!

And the dnb snare can go down to about 100hz. It can be however and whatever you want it to be basically haha its frequency! Play with it! But really there are limitations like too much power in the bass will destroy the sound system. And by too much power I mean higher frequencies that are harder and tighter! So with that graphic if the dnb kick were lowered to 60 at its minimum and snare to 100 as its minimum it would be fairly more accurate! 500hz minimum turns more into lower mids which are bass slowly turning into your main midrange. But nothing nearly as powerful as 100-500 range. Balance must be had in all the ranges! :) <3

Last edited:
Gotcha, thanks for the explanation and you're spot on with regards to the increased latency.

Those resonance peaks can be a bitch to deal with, Logic's channel EQ–while I do like it–has a tendency to peak frequencies more often than not. Have you messed with FabFilter's EQ? I find it to be very transparent with regards to sculpting sounds without the peaks...and it has built in m/s which is always nice.

Ive heard a lot great of things about it, i know people really rate it. The only thing stopping me from checking it out is the price, because ive never really had the money to spend on plugins, let alone AAA grade stuff.
I very recently got my first job, and have my first shift in a couple hours lol, so money will come in very soon. After i save a bit for Logic X, i'll have a fresh 64bit start and start picking up some better plugs.

Thanks for the help mate really appreciate.

Miszt... out of interest, do you know EVERYTHING there is to know about frequency?

not a chance, maybe in another 10 years, or 20 lol

Ive heard a lot great of things about it, i know people really rate it. The only thing stopping me from checking it out is the price, because ive never really had the money to spend on plugins, let alone AAA grade stuff.
I very recently got my first job, and have my first shift in a couple hours lol, so money will come in very soon. After i save a bit for Logic X, i'll have a fresh 64bit start and start picking up some better plugs.

Thanks for the help mate really appreciate.

there are some great EQ's out there, that are free :) try SplineEQ, its a linear phase EQ with a free 4-band version, also look up some hardware modelled plugins, some nice stuff out there, you dont need to spend £££ to get great sound

also theres plenty of highly talented geeks putting there time into these things for free, check out the various free VST top 10's, u'll find one or two gems, and some unique stuff too

Back
Top Bottom