What Freq. do I cut my bass at?

JungleFever

VIP Junglist
Yo,

I been experimenting with bass and bouncing it as a sample then duplicating it then cutting the freq with eq just wonderin if any one knows the exact (or roughly) where to cut the bass in the low/ mids/ highs

cheers

if ya bouncing samples for further use in a vareity of tunes- CUT/BOOST NOTHING!
Leave the orignal full range

then cut/boost etc when used in a tune as you'll need the context of the other supporting samples to make the right judgement as to what to cut, how much, and where. I predict it will be different for evey tune you make pretty much :)

You mean to add inserts etc to seperate frequency bands? You can cut them without exporting using group channels as far as I know. As for ranges, if I were splitting into 3, I'd cut the bass around 200hz, midrange up to 5k and the rest treble...4 bands would work better though. low, low mid, high mid and high.

if ya bouncing samples for further use in a vareity of tunes- CUT/BOOST NOTHING!
Leave the orignal full range

then cut/boost etc when used in a tune as you'll need the context of the other supporting samples to make the right judgement as to what to cut, how much, and where. I predict it will be different for evey tune you make pretty much :)

right, as far as i was aware, the idea for resampling is to apply processing before bouncing, so that it saves CPU and frees up your rack??

right, as far as i was aware, the idea for resampling is to apply processing before bouncing, so that it saves CPU and frees up your rack??

yep definitly, EQ all the way, and carefully compress aswell, so you have as much space as possible, to fill with Filth

ah think I've gone off on a tangent here ..
imo for resampling in general - process away..
BUT my point was more about pre-EQing those results... and to be careful cutting etc before the fact.
My CPU takes such a small knock when using EQ that I use full range sources and cut as required on a per track basis.
It means I have maximum choice for minimal work.
I can have the same source EQ'd loads of different ways inside the track via eq inserts for different uses/sounds etc..
Theres a million ways to resample/work with those results..

what I should have said in my first reply to JF was: if you are creating a double layered bass- dont ask where to cut without telling us what sound ya trying to achieve :)

---------- Post added at 15:33 ---------- Previous post was at 15:33 ----------

You mean to add inserts etc to seperate frequency bands? You can cut them without exporting using group channels as far as I know. As for ranges, if I were splitting into 3, I'd cut the bass around 200hz, midrange up to 5k and the rest treble...4 bands would work better though. low, low mid, high mid and high.

yeah I often split my basses to process each band seperately... get some interesting results that way..
its not the only way tho ;)

Back
Top Bottom