What format of downloads do i buy?

Junglist_007

learning difficulties
VIP Junglist
Hi Guys, I wanna start using my CDJ more. All iv used is my Drum And Bass compilation CD's. My question is what format do i buy my downloads in WAV, MP3 or is it 320 bites? What program best to use to burn? I want get best quality.

Iv never really used my CDJ after i made switch to vinyl. But i wanna try 3 deck mix and i think it's time to start using it.

If it's any help i got Technics CDJ.

Many thanks guys :)

You won't be able to tell the difference between .wav and 320kbps mp3s - so go for the mp3s. 192 kbps will be probably okay but 320 is better. But don't not buy a track because you can't get 320.

Use NERO to burn cds - but your choice of program really doesn't matter.

320kbps mp3s are good. although i'd actually say dont go lower than 256. i was able to notice a difference between 256 and 320.

Wav.s always, funnily enough Mr Wizz im a resident at that night so ill be seeing you on the 29th! xD

having played at fabric 3 times before (and also working there) ive had access to the sound system quite a bit and although 320k are ok there is still a big difference. if the song is that good then ok i may sometimes go for it but otherwise i wouldnt sniff at it, 320k is fine for most clubs but when you start venturing into the high end systems (turbo sound, martin blackline etc) then you really do start to notice it.

Hope this helps
William.

Apart from the fact that the Freestylers said something completely different on their site about Fabric and 320 vs wav - how likely is it that he will be playing at Fabric?

I bought a 320 and a WAV of DJ - Sly Candy Man, and yeah there wasn't any difference in quality. I played it on two different sets of speakers and there wasn't any really noticeable difference. Stick with 320's because there are a little bit cheaper then WAVs and you get the same output!

Come on people... think about what your saying...

If you are taking your DJ career seriously and want to actually play at a club and in a real enviroment then WAV is the only option.

@ the people saying to only get 320's... yeh thats fine.... if your only ever going to play on a 500wat max system...

if you were to watch a speaker driver moving..... the sample rate is how many times a second the travel of the cone is mapped, more sampling = more accurate. therefore WAV is far more accurate at reproducing sounds....

Then theres frequency range.... a mp3 maybe be 10hz up to 25000.... where as a WAV can produce what ever you wish to put on it... this isnt really relevant when it comes to big drum and bass rigs because the bass units are usually limited to say 20hz and above...

I went to a little demonstration a few years back at the barbican where some students at a university built a massive bass tube that could produce sounds from 1hz upwards.... this was basicly a massive experiment with sound and they wernt sure what might happen to the people listening etc... (had to sign a release form).... anyway..... at first they used different qualities of mp3 to play the sounds.... got to 320... sounded sick!!!.... then they switched over to WAV..... AMAZING.... i couldnt hear anything yet my throat was vibrating and after a few mins i felt liek throwing up..... the woman then announced that was the same frequencie as what the 320 mp3 was trying to replicate....

ANYWAY!!! USE WAVS!! END OF!! if you consider yourself nothing more than a bedroom DJ whos only ever going to play over the net or to a house party then 320's are absolutly fine.....

wav for sure.
i find there's no depth in 320kbps mp3s, just sounds really hollow when it's up against vinyl and even other wavs. you really have to crank the gain (and eq's) to get anything remotely decent outa them.

wavs allllllll the way (y)

well wot happens if you buy an MP3 (say a 320kbps), but u convert it to a WAV (i have had to do this cos my CD deck plays mp3's but there is a big latancy between switching tracks)

will the audio degrade? is 320kbps the closest to wav sound quality you can get?

well wot happens if you buy an MP3 (say a 320kbps), but u convert it to a WAV (i have had to do this cos my CD deck plays mp3's but there is a big latancy between switching tracks)

will the audio degrade? is 320kbps the closest to wav sound quality you can get?

yep... but coverting to wav will make no difference... will be exactly the same as the 320 except its called a WAV....

when a program encodes a mp3 it takes away so called "in0audible" frequencies... these frequencies you may not be able to hear but you certainly feel.... fact of the matter is.... mp3 is a compressed version of wav... so why would you ever want that?? unless your only ever playing through little speakers....

would you buy ferrari with a ford fiesta engine??

But yeh... to answer your question.... if you convert 320 mp3 to WAV... the new wav will be exactly the same as the mp3 because the frequencies have already been removed.... you cant replace them unfotuantly....

Won't degrade, closest you can get.

Re: .wav.

I don't see the point of somebody paying significant extra money on the off chance that they'll be playing on a giant rig one day. If they ever get to that point, then they'll get the .wavs they need at that point. Or they'll be playing vinyl. And with dnb being as throw-away as it is, the tracks you buy today, you won't be playing in six months time.

Buying .wavs if you want to record sets for internet gigs is especially ridiculous - you'll be compressing the mix at the end.

Sorry mate, advising .wav to a beginner is like advising somebody to pour Helix Ultra Racing into their Renault 5 - because one day they might be racing on a track. Fine, good luck, unlikely, spend your money on more mp3s of a good quality that your mates will appreciate anyway rather than pro DJ level quality.

Won't degrade, closest you can get.

Re: .wav.

I don't see the point of somebody paying significant extra money on the off chance that they'll be playing on a giant rig one day. If they ever get to that point, then they'll get the .wavs they need at that point. Or they'll be playing vinyl. And with dnb being as throw-away as it is, the tracks you buy today, you won't be playing in six months time.

Buying .wavs if you want to record sets for internet gigs is especially ridiculous - you'll be compressing the mix at the end.

Sorry mate, advising .wav to a beginner is like advising somebody to pour Helix Ultra Racing into their Renault 5 - because one day they might be racing on a track. Fine, good luck, unlikely, spend your money on more mp3s of a good quality that your mates will appreciate anyway rather than pro DJ level quality.

very true... but the way i see it... i was pretty much just aiming it at the likes of flicky and joey... who i think are very good DJs but just havent been given much of a chance to get into a big club..... this could happen at anytime really.... to people like them... just takes one of theri mates to decide to put on nights and there you go....

But yeh i understand about the beginners thing... not really that essential....

AND ANYWAY!!! STOP BEING WASTEMEN AND GET YOURSELVES SOME FUKIN VINYL!!!! haha

Cheers for more replys nice one guys. Track titles/artist don't disply on my CDJ. Is there certain way they have to be burned for it to disply it? Cheers guys :)

Don't think so mate.
mp3's can be tagged with information whereas WAV's can't.
I would think that it should just come up on a cdj that supports text display.

Back
Top Bottom