What features of Cubase have you guys found really improve your workflow?

elmaruk

slannndaaaaaaar
VIP Junglist
currently reppin 5.5.2

Ill start

For about a year or so i painstakenly used to chop my breaks up within the sequencer, trying to get it as accurate as possible when little did i know, i was just 3 clock away from HITPOINTS!

Man I'd love to give you a list. But the truth is, I got cubase 5 for christmas, and for the love of all things hairy I just cannot get my head around it. I'm still using FL Studio, but really wanna get to grips with cubase, just seems everything I try to do backfires on me, or something that has just taken me an hour to do in cubase I coulda done in FL in 2 minutes lol!

nice one man, good you got yourself Cubase.
I know the feeling mate, i first started with cubase about 2/3 years ago, installed it and for a while couldn't figure out how to make a noise :S and still learning new stuff to this day, like hit points for example.
It does seems very complicated at first but once you get your head around it youll start to understand how good it really is.
You thought about getting rewire? hook cubase up with FL...
i'd reccomend first you get to grips with cubase tho

search online for tutorials and read thru the manual...keep going at it and eventually it'll just click :)

Yeah I wont give up on it. Its just finding the time y'know? Like, when I got something in my head, and I wanna throw down some sounds, I instantly go to FL cos I know how to use it, and how to create the rythym and sounds that I want, and quickly. I think I need to focus, and give myself some guidelines to find time to spend with cubase.

I love cubase,
Was a Reason original but found the light lol
Big fan of the folder system to keep everything together
And also the sample fade-in and fade-out controls
The audio visual of each sample is a bonus but its found in a few others daw's

---------- Post added at 02:11 ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 ----------

I love cubase,
Was a Reason original but found the light lol
Big fan of the folder system to keep everything together
And also the sample fade-in and fade-out controls
The audio visual of each sample is a bonus but its found in a few others daw's

No point constantly switching DAW's as each one gets better than the other all the time, such as Logic now is looking insane.

Cubase might be a faster workflow but time spent getting used to it must be ages.

No point constantly switching DAW's as each one gets better than the other all the time, such as Logic now is looking insane.

Cubase might be a faster workflow but time spent getting used to it must be ages.

Well I made the switch from FL Studio to Cubase in one week.
Now producing with Cubase for a month and know pretty much about it already.

So the time spent getting used to it is not that long.

Last edited:
What I did when I got Logic was literally go thru all the drop down menus, clicked on everything I didnt understand and the worked out what it did, then moved onto the next one. A few hours just flidding is the way to go :) Dont stress over one thing, just mess about and see what things do :)

Yeah I wont give up on it. Its just finding the time y'know? Like, when I got something in my head, and I wanna throw down some sounds, I instantly go to FL cos I know how to use it, and how to create the rythym and sounds that I want, and quickly. I think I need to focus, and give myself some guidelines to find time to spend with cubase.

I got a Music tech Focus magazine from WH Smiths the other day and the whole issue is dedicated to cubase and it's like 132 pages of pure cubase, comes with a dvd aswell with a couple of tutorials that could help you. Might be worth a purchase if you're struggling a bit!

Learning hotkeys helps alot,
F2 brings up the Transpose bar,
Pressing Alt-K brings up the midi-keyboard
Pressing Tab on that switched it from 1 oct to a 3 octave spread,
Pressing F3 brings up your Mixer with all the tracks,
You can change you 'Right-click' action in the preferences so you have everything from resample to pitchshift at your right click disposal, rather than that 8 cubed piece of pants lol
The only thing that does my head in is if i have my project maximised and i change to the mixer or another window it will restore it to its old size =[
Is there anything in the preferences that stops this??

CH3SH - For your problem with maximising i know of no fix...i used to work like you with the arrangement maximised and scream when it minimised everytime i opened the mixer. now instead i work with no windows maximised, i just resized the windows to fit the screen, picked up a cheap 19 inch too so now my mixer, fx's and midi editings on the small screen and my arrangements on 22...works a treat and i find myself rarely opening/closing windows :)

Yeah mate had that on my laptop with an extra screen,
But i need to invest in another graphics card to use another screen,
Iv only a nvidia standard chipset installed lol
I do miss dual screening,
Vst's etc in one and Seq in the other =]

Back
Top Bottom