WHAT DOES EVERYONE THINK IS THE HARDEST SCENE TO BREAK INTO? (MUSIC GENRE WISE)

MistaBossman

Personally i think Drum and Bass is the hardest scene to break into. I don't know, i just feel like 2 or 3 people make it through each year whereas if you look at House there are so many breakthrough artists. There are so many Techno and Deep House producers who live normal day by day lives without many dj sets or hype yet they will get there tunes played by Maya Jane Coles, tINI and The Desolat crew amongst many others even though themselves and their tunes are hardly known. Drum and Bass is just so hard though it seems, and doesn't take anyone into the scene lightly unless your literally too good to say no to. Not saying it is impossible to break into, but not many are doing so is my point...

i think cos its quite an underground scene (less followers in comparison) therefore stiffer competition... from this arise the henny "political" thing like popularity contests and people just looking out for themselves - especially true in djing aspect of things

it's hard to make DnB good enough for you to break-through...but unlike a lot of other scenes, particularly pop/top40 trash, that's the only criteria...good music. Doesn't matter how you look, doesn't matter if 13 year old girls are cutting their wrists over you, aslong as you can make good tunes, you can get signed

at least, to the best of my knowledge

No scene is harder than another to 'break into'.

Success in the music industry is all about who you know and how low you'll sink to get to where you want to be. having talent helps. sometimes.

i think cos its quite an underground scene (less followers in comparison) therefore stiffer competition... from this arise the henny "political" thing like popularity contests and people just looking out for themselves - especially true in djing aspect of things

True but if you look at Techno, that too so undergrounds just like Dnb, some events refuse people entry like Fuse London if they dont look right for the event yet people will send there tracks over, they will get listened too and played

Money to waste? In what sense?

Just general costs on equipment, going to gigs, affording to keep up appearances etc

What I meant by it was if you had x amount of money, you wouldn't need a job anymore. You could focus purely on music by hosting your own gigs, creating your own labels, paying for decent promotion, affording big dj's/producers, paying for a decent manager etc etc
But to be fair though, all this shit you can do without..... but to 'break' into the scene quickly it would help if you had all these extra things, which comes with a lot of money...

Lots of hard work, time and money are what it seems is needed. It seems it helps if you know people, although, as is the case in pretty much any industry. Also, seems to help if you're out and about a lot. Make your presence known and that. If I had the money I like to think I'd look into trying to set something up like a label. Also, I'd have absolutely no idea where to start on that front!

not drum & bass, I'm guessing melodic hardcore or stuff like that. Mainly because there are just sosososomany bands and in a way they all sound similiar. (That can be said of any genre, but i just feel like it's way harder for a band to get some spotlight than for a dj/producer)

HMM yeah thats fair. Other genres are just far more accessible though. Just seems like the forefathers in this genre just want to grow old with it and be at the forefront forever, barely bracing new talent

i tried to break into the classical scene once.

my triangle solo with a toast rack got the thumbs down from britney. :(

Back
Top Bottom