what does a guitar amp actually do to your bass?

Discussion in 'Production' started by law_88, Mar 19, 2011.

1. law_88

law_88 Member

are they used as a distortion unit or somethin? cant use em yet cos reason doesnt have one. but wanna know for when i get a new daw cos theyre talked about and reviewed a lot so i'm thinkin they can be pretty handy?

2. Groovestick

Groovestick Member

things like guitar rig are designed for guitar tones obviously. they emulate real amps and can add distortion and overdrive (as well as heaps of other effects) that are commonly suited to guitars.

3. Wrigzilla

Wrigzilla broke but not broken

You're talking about software ones and not the real ones right? Basically they model the frequency response and distortion of guitar amplifiers, they can be useful if you want that sort of sound.

4. kama

kama benkama.net

If you've heard any break tunes with those tearing bass sounds? I bet he uses amp simulations a lot.

5. StrifeII

StrifeII Member

More importantly (for me at least) the software versions add things like the cabinet size and analog circuit noise to a channel. This part isn't emulated, it's "recorded" much in the way that impulse reverbs are. Fantastic for making breaks sound "real" especially.

6. law_88

law_88 Member

yeah i was on about the software ones, cheers guys that was pretty much what i thought they did but just wanted to be sure

7. Groovestick

Groovestick Member

yeah, i was talking about software emulators.

interesting, might go try run some midrange basses through guitar rig and see what i get.

8. StrifeII

StrifeII Member

You will never look back. :)
    I find they generally sound better on send channels or split frequency groups, as the likes of Guitar Rig tends to muddy the low frequencies...try turning the Cabinet off as well and just using the head :)