what do you think of the progression of jungle/drum and base?

dannyp63

is it just me or do you miss the old jump up drum and base??
a bit of rear groove and ragga and a bit more rhythm!
well i feel @ least.
or am i just getting old ;/
yeah a lot of good s**t still out there but on the whole i think we lost the vibe and replaced it with the heavier base!
just dont seem to be feeling as many track these days.

whad you think?

danny p
www.myspace.com/mrpezzella

The bass was heavy at the beginning. A lot heavier. Then it began to be distorted and fiddled with and turned into a screaming banshee, not a thumper.

Not being in the scene for a huge deal of time I don't usually comment on reminiscent threads, but I have definatley notices when investing in classics and stuff pre 1998 that there is huge suprise when the drops kicks and all that bass comes thundering down.

But then you do have artist like Phace, Noisia and Spor who definatley keep up the bass. May be who you referring too, But I like them. Each to own if ya ask me tis all good

Last edited:
I miss alot of the older production 98-01, Ed rush, Dom, Falcon Etc. That dark jump into a room with two guns kinda sound. Not to many producers are making that wierd dark sound anymore. Ed Rush and Optical - Millenium ; Good Example. It has been awhile since a track like that.

well, never really cared about jump up or ragga styles. always been more into dark,tech and neuro. really feeling what the offkey camp are doing at the moment

I miss alot of the older production 98-01, Ed rush, Dom, Falcon Etc. That dark jump into a room with two guns kinda sound. Not to many producers are making that wierd dark sound anymore. Ed Rush and Optical - Millenium ; Good Example. It has been awhile since a track like that.

Nothing like the tracks described at the beginning of this thread.

is it just me or do you miss the old jump up drum and base??
a bit of rear groove and ragga and a bit more rhythm!
well i feel @ least.
or am i just getting old ;/
yeah a lot of good s**t still out there but on the whole i think we lost the vibe and replaced it with the heavier base!
just dont seem to be feeling as many track these days.

whad you think?

danny p
www.myspace.com/mrpezzella

Totally agree mate , the old skool shit has the best sound , for me its 93 - 97 , LTJ bukem's tunes in 93 along with AWOL and Quest mixes. up untill the jump up stuff from 96 - 97 from kenny ,swanne , etc.

Favourite tune of all time - sta wars released in 97 , the wobbly bass antics of bizzy b :saber:

Last edited:
Totally agree mate , the old skool shit has the best sound , for me its 93 - 97 , LTJ bukem's tunes in 93 along with AWOL and Quest mixes. up untill the jump up stuff from 96 - 97 from kenny ,swanne , etc.

Favourite tune of all time - sta wars released in 97 , the wobbly bass antics of bizzy b :saber:

Yea! there you go, that was a wicked tune

Uhm no tracks were really described at the beginning of this thread............... I mean specific songs not "old skool" jungle come on.

dannyp63 said:
"is it just me or do you miss the old jump up drum and base??
a bit of rear groove and ragga and a bit more rhythm!"

Jump up ragga rear groove tracks.

A bit different from Ed Rush ganja techstep paranoia bass, wouldn't you agree?

Me, I'm a big fan of dnb up to 98 and from say 2003. I've got a big stack of techstep records and they're excellent but the difference with techstep and classic jump up, old school dnb/jungle, ragga jungle is like shagging a world class model or the girl you've been in love with since you were 10 years old. One is an excellent fuck and you'll be quite pleased with yourself with a little smug smile on your face. The other makes you want to jump up and down and shout and kiss random people.

That's what good dnb does for me. I'm going to be promoting the old school style and the nu skool old school heavily in the gigs I play. There is nothing like dropping Chopper onto floor after Junglist. Then adding the Social Security remix of Wardance and then switching to Tarantula. Its like a loved up house gig but with proper music.

I think there is a lot of good new tunes. I think the difference is that back then it was A) all fresh with no preconceptions as to what it should sound like b) most releases were quality, whereas these days most are well, standard.

but the difference with techstep and classic jump up, old school dnb/jungle, ragga jungle is like shagging a world class model or the girl you've been in love with since you were 10 years old. One is an excellent fuck and you'll be quite pleased with yourself with a little smug smile on your face. The other makes you want to jump up and down and shout and kiss random people.

8)

Now that's a great quote! I'm not sure which is which tho?

I think there is a lot of good new tunes. I think the difference is that back then it was A) all fresh with no preconceptions as to what it should sound like b) most releases were quality, whereas these days most are well, standard.

Yea I couldnt agree more, it seems to be this way with alot of music, the original music, the tracks that pioneered alot of the styles are always the best. They set the standard.

back in the day you would hear everything in a set, now it seems everything is pigeonholed and to my ear, sounds exactly the same

breakbeats are not very creative and it is always menacing sounding for the most part, but not "dark" like stuff was back in 93-94, try and compare any of the shit coming out nowadays with say Saint Angel by Goldie and tell me which sounds truly dark and sinister

overall, i just find the newer jungle (98-present) far too clinical and not very dancefloor friendly, there just doesnt seem to be any real character to the tunes

to me it seems the jungle coming out now is more for the producers to show off their skill in the studio more than to do with producing a quality track that will stand the test of time and blow the roof off of the party

you can walk into any club and lay down the helicopter tune, or valley of the shadows and they will make the party explode, i dont hear any of the ppl i know talking about anything coming out nowadays that will be able to do that to a party 15 years after it was released

Back
Top Bottom