what do you prefer?

Rival

just wondering what other dj's hear prefer to mix weither it be just one type of dnb or a few types...i myself like techy tunes love jump-up...but do try to get a bit of everything :zest:

All different kinds of stuff, both old and new, only thing is that I will put my set in a general direction. Generally I like my sets to go from dark techy tracks gradually to dubwise to liquidfunk.

is difficult to say really, because even tunes from different subgenres do mix well together, when same kind of tunes would sound lame mixed,...
i mean, one could play all styles mixed,and have a softer to harder progression.
like if someone was planing to play a wobbly-dubwise-techy set, he could play marcus intalex with hype, soft stuff with harder-but same style..or later on abstract Paradox with tear out Breakage....or towards the end, inteligent Noisia stuff, with disgusting dylan & itch...

All you'd get is gaps between styles...maybe in a longer set it could work, but having to adjust my dancing to different brakes every 10 minutes, would be well lame..
i much rather a night of "represent" DJs. get calibre to hot up the place, pass it to sonic & silver, and let skynet or sumthin to kill whoever still standin..

blah blah blah blah...i know....
:carlton:

GorDo said:
is difficult to say really, because even tunes from different subgenres do mix well together, when same kind of tunes would sound lame mixed,...
i mean, one could play all styles mixed,and have a softer to harder progression.
like if someone was planing to play a wobbly-dubwise-techy set, he could play marcus intalex with hype, soft stuff with harder-but same style..or later on abstract Paradox with tear out Breakage....or towards the end, inteligent Noisia stuff, with disgusting dylan & itch...

All you'd get is gaps between styles...maybe in a longer set it could work, but having to adjust my dancing to different brakes every 10 minutes, would be well lame..
i much rather a night of "represent" DJs. get calibre to hot up the place, pass it to sonic & silver, and let skynet or sumthin to kill whoever still standin..

blah blah blah blah...i know....
:carlton:
as long as your blabla makes sense, go on :)

i'd say about the same for a party, apart from the fact that i don't know one single dj who really keeps a style apart from phace, noisia and teebee...

for me, when i'm on the dancefloor and get style-switches, i most probably sit down on the dancefloor and start demonstratively puking to express my disagreement.

i like most facets of dnb, but mixed up in a set? no way.

EVERY DJ WHO TALKS ABOUT INTEGRATING ALL STYLES OR VARIATION IS A WHANKER WHO CAN'T DO BETTER THAN RANDOM SELECTION. go playing xbox or whatever, stop messing around with tunes. virtually like everybody. ;)

That pisses me off.

If you can't mix styles during a long set then you don't know your tunes, your public and how to shape the dance floor.

Dancers need their highs and their lows, otherwise you might just as well be banging out prog house for pilled freaks. Doesn't mean switching styles every 10 mins but over a long set you can tell a story and take people on a journey - darkside to lightside, happy to grinding, classic to esoteric. 3 hours of techstep will exhaust physically and mentally anybody if they're not pilled. 3 hours of liquid will bore the public to hell. 3 hours of jumpup would just be corny...

It doesn't take all that skill to bang out one style all night long - as long as you can beatmatch.

And mixing styles isn't jukebox - its having skills and knowledge - you can it if you know what you're doing and how to make the transitions appropriate (smooth or interesting...).

that pisses every dj off who feels asked for explaining himself... if you feel like this, go on, but maybe you should consider something:
i agree in gordo's idea of different style djs.
if there were djs who REALLY keep a style (and i'm not talking about plump categories like"jump up" techstep" etcetera but about playing tunes that sound like equal or at least have some elements equal) i'd no talk like above, i'd be happy to join a party with a different dj and style every hour or two.
but it keeps much more than beatmatching to stick to a style in a set... it needs a discipline which is very underestimated in dnb dj culture: SELECTION. you know what that is?
if you stick to one style in the club, the chicks (the walking asses who want variation) stop dancing, and if djs would fix it in their studio sets i would accept that. but they don't... most djs play shit "variation" (RANDOM SELECTION) in their studio mixes as well, to keep the 17-years-old listening who have a small attention span.

Dustek said:
If you can't mix styles during a long set then you don't know your tunes, your public and how to shape the dance floor.
sorry but this is plain bullshit. shaping the floor and FUCKIN EDUCATING the listeners who def have less knowledge than a dj naturally (because they don't know what comes out) has nothing to do with random selection.

anyway, i agree with you that 3 hours of one style get very boring... that's why i do like 30 minutes of one style and then switch to another. with a break, to avoid what i hate for myself: confused random mashing up. if the people get mad in one facet i make it longer.. and the other way round. that's the idea of "different styles by different djs" in one set. variation, but not from tune to tune, you know?????

Dustek said:
And mixing styles isn't jukebox - its having skills and knowledge - you can it if you know what you're doing and how to make the transitions appropriate (smooth or interesting...).
yeah???? you ever tried to get an overview over what we call dnb djs?? :sick: :shittin:
and it's not just dnb, it's like every dj-culture. even ragga/dancehall.
a local 50-year old dj and promoter said it was the same twenty years ago... the djs who tried to keep up to an approach in a set were the unpopular ones... the most successful had been the ones who crashed (technically and selective)... the crowd cheers if they can hear that the dj is mixing, no matter how badly.
if they hear nothing, they are bored....

in my opinion, djing contains the potential to be an artform, but nearly nobody apart from the turntablists ever uses thios potential. all these djs are dumb, compared to what they could be. a little bit more work on spinning... that's what i want and why i flame here. and why i don't go to parties since years.

You've got an extremely irritating and combative writing style and you haven't read what I wrote or are deliberately misreading it.

I also have some difficulty understanding what you're writing, i.e.:

sorry but this is plain bullshit. shaping the floor and FUCKIN EDUCATING the listeners who def have less knowledge than a dj naturally (because they don't know what comes out) has nothing to do with random selection.
... ? What is that referring to?

I would notice you slagged off djs who mix styles then you contradict yourself saying you mix styles...

I think I agree with Gordo - progression over a long time is good. Sudden changes can be crap, especially if they keep on occuring. NOTICE THE AMBIGUITY 'CAN' - DOESN'T MEAN ALWAYS.

If you equate changing styles with random variation then you need to listen to some good djs. Lack of direction in a set fucks things up seriously and chases dancers away (I've done it...). Notice I don't equate lack of direction with changes in style.

As far as sticking to one style is concerned - if you can do it for 3 hours (without variation) and keep the punters interested and dancing then you're a great dj... takes a shit load of skill to keep them interested as compared to jusyt banging out one style.

that's why i do like 30 minutes of one style and then switch to another. with a break, to avoid what i hate for myself: confused random mashing up. if the people get mad in one facet i make it longer.. and the other way round. that's the idea of "different styles by different djs" in one set. variation, but not from tune to tune, you know?????"

Great and good for you. But where did I mention jumping from tune to tune? I'd change every hour or so... maybe more often, depends on the floor. I said:

Doesn't mean switching styles every 10 mins but over a long set you can tell a story and take people on a journey - darkside to lightside, happy to grinding, classic to esoteric.

And as far as:
the most successful had been the ones who crashed (technically and selective)... the crowd cheers if they can hear that the dj is mixing, no matter how badly.

is concerned - great for the crowds and the djs. Sometimes a crash or silence is great. That's what I mean by 'interesting' transitions. That is if you're technically skilled and know your tunes and the punters know it. If Andy C crashes, ravers will scream and enjoy themselves. If an 18 year old with his first gig crashes, they'll whistle.

in my opinion, djing contains the potential to be an artform, but nearly nobody apart from the turntablists ever uses thios potential. all these djs are dumb, compared to what they could be. a little bit more work on spinning... that's what i want and why i flame here. and why i don't go to parties since years.

Turntablists have a lot of skill but nobody dances at DMC and what has that go to do with styles anyway?

And if you're here to flame and you don't go parties...

Hmm...

Have fun in your bedroom. I prefer dancing and playing.

Last edited:
guys, you forget that different people like different stuff,
and thats what keeps this joint alight..
Hektik man, i have difficulty makin a proper sense of what you wright too..! :D

agreed with dust on that nobody dances on DMC, and if thats the mixing style that i would have to encounter at a party, id never go to any of them.
im not saying that turntablists suck, oh god no..! But battles are just show offs. You watch a brazilian kid go sick with a football on his head, and let it not touch the ground for hours..Cool, sick skills, how is that gona be usefull in the pitch tho ??
beeing able to flash, flare, crab and all that Q bird lardi-da is amazing, in a battle. I saw hype once, and he was swicthin two records, like for hours...it was fuckin boring man. I was like, GET ON WITH IT FFS, ok, i heard the tune, and you can control your fingers, boh selecta, can we get to the next tune now please.

My point is, that I, with a few others around, prefer the same style of tunes for a longer period of time. Last party i went to, the guy before me was playin Echo's Out of time, and mixed it with True Romance...
it was wank, really...Tear out amens and reeceage, and then you got the, altough heavy, warm and mellow b line of TR...most trainspottin punters went shouting, but everyone else was like, what you doin you pipe hittin nerd?
:D (true comment, im still laughing at that one..hahaha..!)

But again hektik, thats my view, you prefer somethin different, thats cool, as long you dont diss me for wot i like.

hektik said:
shaping the floor and FUCKIN EDUCATING the listeners who def have less knowledge than a dj naturally (because they don't know what comes out) has nothing to do with random selection.

r u kiddin man? all kids know a tune before the producer fuckin thinks about sitting in the studio....

hektik said:
I think I agree with Gordo -

Dustek said:
I agree in gordo's idea

See, you both agree with me, so by default you agree and between you..so stop naggin!!!

:teeth: :D

ofcourse theyd agree with me, im always right, im so fukin good maaaannn.....!
:slick: :spam:

Last edited:
GorDo said:
See, you both agree with me, so by default you agree and between you..so stop naggin!!!

:teeth: :D

ofcourse theyd agree with me, im always right, im so fukin good maaaannn.....!
:slick: :spam:

that's a point.

I really dont like DJs who play only one style in a set. i know what you mean about some djs having a random selection that can seem misplaced, but that just means its being done badly. doesn't mean the whole idea goes out the window. (n) i think we all agree we like variety in the course of a night, but i want it within the course of an hour-long set too. :word:

Id like to see everything in a set as long as its long enough!(ie more tha an hour!)

thats why i stopped going to Slammin and all that crap cos every plays the same shit.

Id like to see mixed styles and even genres in sets...

that imo is the next step

it really depends all upon the dj...

dj no 1) plays 2 hours of darkside techstep neurowobblefunk, plays an interesting track selection, pops in a few big tunes separated by well produced lesser known tracks, flawless mixing, subtle use of effects/eq.

dj no 2) plays 2 hours of darkside techstep neurowobblefunk, plays an uninspiring track selection, pops in a few big tunes separated by crappy lesser known tracks, trainwrecks and tries to hide it all under a cloud of flanging echo bass drops.

same goes for djs playign a mixed track selection. drum and bass is drum and bass at the end of the day and a djs "entertainment factor" boils down to:
how he/she works the crowd
the depth of knowledge of the tunes in thier box
the skill putting it all together to make it interesting.

as for the original question on the thread, i have no preference. :)

Back
Top Bottom