What do you do when they aren't feelin it?

freeagent

Almost 30
VIP Junglist
Well, djs?

I played this weekend at a music festival, mostly jam/cover bands, and the crowd was not feeling anything myself or my friend played. We had three decks/two mixers, played hip-hop/dub-reggae/breaks/house/dnb with cuts and scratches here and there, and no one was into it. Seems they'd rather here Pink Floyd covers (at one point, two different bands played Pink Floyd - 'Time' in two different rooms at the same time :puke: ).

What you lot sayin? How do you deal with this type of reaction?

freeagent said:
Well, djs?

I played this weekend at a music festival, mostly jam/cover bands, and the crowd was not feeling anything myself or my friend played. We had three decks/two mixers, played hip-hop/dub-reggae/breaks/house/dnb with cuts and scratches here and there, and no one was into it. Seems they'd rather here Pink Floyd covers (at one point, two different bands played Pink Floyd - 'Time' in two different rooms at the same time :puke: ).

What you lot sayin? How do you deal with this type of reaction?
I've only ever really had certain tunes that don't go down well, it's never really been a whole set.

Don't really want to name and shame the tunes, but when it happens I usually just move on as quickly as possible. I put on something that I know the crowd will like, an anthem or a dark tune.

Never really tried playing any other genres when out, so I don't know about those.

I usually put out the old No U Turn records !!

Kidding, man if you spun that broad a range of beats an bass I would just say that you were playing to people who are a DJs fucking worst nightmare. If they want live band music then thats it, they are determined not have fun to any other music.

I'm sure you probly got booked cos of an ability to play diverse stuff to a 'non-dance' crowd. Pity some punters arent as open minded as some promoters.

My favourite request from a similar crowd, after spinning hip-hop, funk and dNB : "Can you play ANYTHING ELSE?"

My answer was simply "no, go away".

:jerkit:

Yeah, the minute the bands were over the crowd packed it in - very dissapointing. They were, as you say, determined not to like anything except the cover songs they had heard 50 million times already :(

This was actually the 4th thing I'd played for this same festival, but the first where it was an absolute bomb.

i haven't played at anythin that big so i haven't had as bigger reaction (or non reaction) as that, but in smaller cases like that i try to play girly tunes to get the ladies dancin. if they do that u know theres gonna be hoardes of blokes followin tryin to get a piece of em. im sure it wernt ur fault at that event tho. as said before, seems all they wanted was live bands so leave em to it and play somewhere where better musics appreciated :)

Personally, i would play the most experimental, leftfield piece of shit in my box and check the crowd's reaction, fuck 'em.

Back
Top Bottom