What do you call...

DNB4DCrowd

Hi everyone. I'm as new as it gets to Drum and Bass production and I'd like to start with this:

My first step was deciding on the kind of Drum and Bass I'd like to produce, which the examples would be Dieselboy's "Sixth Session" and "Project Human". That's the direction I'm going in, mainly because I like the high BPM's as well as the futuristic sounds. The question is, what would you call that, Techstep? Of course I'm not going to limit myself with just that style and I also need to understand the many different kinds of Drum and Bass as well. I realize I need to get a clear understanding of the vast terms of Drum and Bass types of music. I of course realize that all my answers will be able to be found here on the site so I'm not asking for help, but feel free to comment.
Next, I'd like to say that I do plan on starting with music theory. I'd like to be a "musician", and not just someone sitting in the room playing with equiptment. I thought maybe an online music course would be a good idea along with other books, so I contacted a certain school in New York that has online electronic music classes and they recommended me start with thier online DJ school, saying that I shouldn't jump in to production without first learning how to DJ. Is that correct? I'm thinking I will spend most of my efforts in learning production and dive right in the deep, while at the same time learning to DJ. But I'm new to this.

I'm not going to buy anything before I'm ready of course but I have a really good feeling about a certain sequencer.

Last but not least I found out that one of the first steps is learning MIDI. Now I plan on researching this along with music theory for my beginning. Can someone point me in the best direction to learn MIDI, as well as a good music theory book.

Respectfully
DNB4DCrowd

Not sure what the NY school is on about, no you dont need to learn to DJ first

I could see how it might help, seeing the structure of DnB and stuff, but its not a necessity. Sounds like theyre just trying to squeeze more money out of you.

:welcome:

Hey, man!

First of all, welcome to the forum.

What style is the drum and bass made by Dieselboy? some say it's Darkstep, other say techstep. In fact, IMO, he plays both, but more on the Darkstep sub-genre.

About the music theory: it's a good idea to study music theory, this way it would be easier to transcribe into a song what you have in your mind. I advice you to get the books "Music theory for computer musicians" and "Music theory for dummies" as both have a pretty easy approach on theory, without so many jargons.

On the dnb side of things, you'll only get the differences between styles by listening endlessly. Some names I can give you are: Dieselboy, Current Value, Noisia and Black Sun Empire. With only these four bands/producers you have pretty much the darkstep/techstep/neurofunk sub-genres covered.

Thanks for the welcomes and great help with direction. I look forward to class here...lol.

You're welcome. As soon as you have any song made, just head to the production sub-forum, ask for feedback. Also, there are tons of useful info on there.

Or you just can hag around waffle and learn how eloquent we can be.

You're welcome. As soon as you have any song made, just head to the production sub-forum, ask for feedback. Also, there are tons of useful info on there.

Or you just can hag around waffle and learn how eloquent we can be.

Will do bro! When I get that Akai IMPC Pro IOS app look out. Hahahaa...jk. I've got two more months of Music Theory, then two weeks of MIDI, and four or five months of EDM production etc and then I'll make one. :)

If you like 6th Sess youll prolly enjoy Ill Skillz stuff, Raiden, BSE, Concord Dawn, Optiv, Friction, Cause4Concern, Bad Company <just browsing my playlist>. For technical production check out Tech Itches penetrations, and Freak Recordings. Lots of very intricate electronic sounds, especially the remixes. Also Twisted Individual produces some amazing beats technically. Check out Hand Grenade, Sick Bag, Gusset Gravey + remixes, if you can find Cannibal Lunch buy it and LMK its worth a few bucks (original). I cant find a digital copy.

I only used Fruity Loops and Audacity forplaying around but if I had a few hundred extra $$$ to blow on a studio set up Id get a decent PC, keyboard, and speakers to begin.

Back
Top Bottom