What cartridges to use!!

Junglist_007

learning difficulties
VIP Junglist
Hi People, Just wondering if oneone can recomend some decent cartridges. I just got myself secondhand set of Technics 1210. The cartridges i got with them look bit abused and on last legs. What do you guys use cheers. Matt

Ortofon concorde pro-s

Sound good, easy to see where you're putting the needle, hardly ever jump...

There's other in the ortofon range that I'm sure are probably better but cost a bit more...

Ortofon concorde pro-s

Sound good, easy to see where you're putting the needle, hardly ever jump...

There's other in the ortofon range that I'm sure are probably better but cost a bit more...

:ditto:

just ditched my old shure M44G's to pro-s', been working nicely, the skip resistance is awesome as well, jack of all trades you could say

Yeah concordes are usually the way to go, but if its just the stylii (needles) that needs replacing that would be the cheaper option! What model are the cartridges you have at the moment?

Hiya, Cheers for the replys at the mo im using Stanton DJ PRO 500AL.

If you are just starting out, I'd say just get some new stylii for the Stanton's, I've used them for ages for mixing and scratching and have hardly ever had to replace the needles... Concordes are good, but you won't really notice much difference if you're relatively new to mixing, I'd stick with what you've got unless you have loads of money to spend! Concentrate on building up that vinyl collection instead...

If you are just starting out, I'd say just get some new stylii for the Stanton's, I've used them for ages for mixing and scratching and have hardly ever had to replace the needles... Concordes are good, but you won't really notice much difference if you're relatively new to mixing, I'd stick with what you've got unless you have loads of money to spend! Concentrate on building up that vinyl collection instead...

Wish i did have lot of money to spend. That's good idea. What settings do i set them up at Counterweight, height etc.... Cheers guys.

From Scotty:
Would that be these ortofon? http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR32826

(Sorry I'm new here so dunno how to quote properly)

No, they're the "nightclub" model wiith the luminous tip, I just got the standard pro-s which are black with a red dot on the tip: http://www.decks.co.uk/products/carts_styli/ortofon/concordepro

They're the cheapest in the range, but are perfectly good - If you haggle at an independent supplier you can get them down from the price advertised...

Cheers man will have to be pruchasing some of them ive needed new needles for a while im still using shity numark groove tool.

Oh and to quote you just click "quote" in the bottom right hand side of the message you want to quote

Cheers man will have to be pruchasing some of them ive needed new needles for a while im still using shity numark groove tool.

Oh and to quote you just click "quote" in the bottom right hand side of the message you want to quote

No worries mate, hope you like 'em! and cheers for the help on how to quote proper!

That's good idea. What settings do i set them up at Counterweight, height etc.... Cheers guys.

You should get a leaflet telling you how to do this when you buy the a cartridge, but in case not: Find out what weight your cartidge is meant to track at, put it on the tone arm, set the counterweight so that when you let go of the arm it 'floats' above the deck completely horizontally, then set the gauge on the counterweight to 0, then turn up the weight to the tracking weight of the cartridge..

But to be honest I add a gramme or so 'cos I'm a bit heavy handed!

Shure Whitelabel's are awesome sounding - You get a nice clear low end come through.
Described in DJ mag gear review as the Rolls Royce of cartridges. Also, happens to be the choice of cartridge of Andy C. A good choice if your happy spending £70 per cart.

I second the whitelabels...they put out some great sound. Ive had mine for a few years now, very sturdy. On the other hand the Otophons mess up you tone arm...the 4 prongs that line up in the tone arm do not match on the Otophons. therefore causing the tone arms spring loaded prongs to break. True story, had to replace both my tonearms from them

I second the whitelabels...they put out some great sound. Ive had mine for a few years now, very sturdy. On the other hand the Otophons mess up you tone arm...the 4 prongs that line up in the tone arm do not match on the Otophons. therefore causing the tone arms spring loaded prongs to break. True story, had to replace both my tonearms from them

Is that the same on all Ortofone's?

I have used ortofon condords & now have the Q-Bert sigs and I absolutely love the sound, never any skipping or tracking issues.....but they ain't cheap.

Apparently that's been fixed for a few years now. New ones should be ok

Back
Top Bottom