What can u do when ur night doesnt break even?

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by DJ Lordward, Jan 29, 2005.

1. DJ Lordward

DJ Lordward T.D.P.

We ran our 2nd club night last night in a small club in Kent with Nicky Blackmarket as the headline DJ. We stuck flyers up everywhere for it & despite a wicked turn out & a great night on our launch night, we failed to break even & the turn out wasnt as good this time.

What can we do different next time?
    The only way I can see it working is not to have a big name DJ, but then will the ravers turn up??

2. Charge

Charge Member

Getting nuff people through the door every month is a very hard thing to do. Promotion is obviously the thing you can change the most (by doing more.) Hopefully if you keep it going then you will get a reputation for being a good night which should get people through the door.
    I think most clubs find that the longer they keep running the less people attend, unless you have 3 or 4 headline djs as people seem to get bored.
    Change is usually a good thing, trying to bring some different/original either in your line up or production.

If you manage to find an answer as to how a raver's mind works on whether or not to go to a night, without there being a massive line up then post it up. Sure there are lots of people that would like to know!

3. DJ Lordward

DJ Lordward T.D.P.

cheers 4 the advice Charge. I was surprised we didnt have more people than on our launch night. The launch night was heavy, so I thought everyone would come back for the 2nd one (especially having Nicky BMarket), but that wasnt the case. Its a shame, but what can you do? The whole of the town we hold it in is covered in flyers lol & surrounding towns have some up.
    I suppose the only thing you can do is get more people interested in d&b, or move to a better club (but then better & bigger club = more money & more risk)!

4. xen

xen ...innit

It is a veeeeeeery risky thing, that promotion lark. Personally I'm glad I don't have to do it 8) and I have great admiration for those who risk potentially losing a lot of money. My hat comes off to em.

5. nickdawg

nickdawg nuthin but the dawg in me

Try to flyer places in addition to normal "routine" spots (ie: instead of just hitting up the record shop, swing by the coffee shop on the corner and leave a couple flyers there and hand a few out inside). Get flyers to all places people our age would be likely to visit and have some friends help you. It's grunt work and more costly to print out extra flyers but it definately helps.

Offer prizes at your next nite....like for example, 50 free DJ mix CD's from you or one of you mates for the first 50 people in the door.

Maybe offer a free drink or dollar discount off cover charge if a patron brings a flyer they picked up with them to the club on your night.

Always try to retain your current customer base and let it be known that their support is appreciated. Try to get out to their nights (if they are also promoters) if at all possible, even for just one drink.

Most nights people hold are slow to start...just keep at it and keep your head up. Think of unique places to promote, or unique methods of spreading the word. If you build it, they will come.

Hope this helps and best of luck to you!

6. mesh

mesh Active Member

Good advice, sometimes flyering the hell out of your town doesn't work as well as initially; once people have seen posters a few times they become blind to them.
    You need an added spark. If I may rehash, with my own spin -

So...
    - have drink specials (or even a drink sponsorship from a company!),
    - mix CD giveaways are fun! Make a cover that has your logo or flyer on front, even in b&w this is cool.
    - start a mailing list (don't spam people or share your list details with anyone; remember to suppress those email recipients), just keep them up-to-date.
    - ask yourself, are all my DJs worth it? ie. are they playing because they're my mates, or because they're really good? No disrespect intended at all mate.

My own small experience promoting has been as patchy as anything, up and down; however the promoter I admire most is at it night and day. You literally can't have a chat with him without him handing a flyer to a passerby, or crossing the road to make sure his posters are still up, or something manic. Never leaves home without flyers, approaches strange-but-cool-looking-people to lay flyers on them.

Here's his site - http://www.breakandenter.com.au/

Anyway, keep at it. Its a fickle business, don't get discouraged by losing some money or whatnot. Even if you are moderately successful you are contributing to the scene. You may not have done a thing wrong, if your first night was good the ravers may assume its being supported and become lazy; of course this means they may lose it, but very few understand this in a small scene.

ahh .. keep your chin up.

(y)

7. zoob

zoob Nine Bar SS.

It's your town. I don't know it.

Whats the d'n'b market like?

Is there any competing nights, if so you may have already entered a saturated market.

Is D'n'b a mainstay of the local music scene, or is it really a niche market.

It's brilliant for Portsmouth/london etc, BIG d'n'b love in the population, then it becomes all about promotion as the 'business' is there, its just about enticing them to come to YOUR event.

If that market doesn't exsist in the first place, then you've got a problem.

You can't make something work that the local market doesn't really want, unless you are pulling from a greater pool, i doubt this as aren't ramming thousands into this event.

So you need to ask yourself,

Is there the market to sustain a sucessfull ( and profitable or at least, level breaking) d'n'b night in my area?

Is someone else already doing it, and if so, can i actually compete with what they have got.

If you can't answer positively to both the above, i suggest you save the wedge, and get down to breakneck.

8. D BREAKNECK

D BREAKNECK 7 years on top

Try not to think about breaking even / profit / loss, but instead look at 'Did the people who were there have a good time?', 'how successful was the atmosphere', 'was the vibe what you wanted'?

(nearly) All events will break even or lose a bit from time to time, and January's known for being quite quiet.

I'd say promoting a longer term thing, and you can't judge it as having failed cos your 2nd night didn't break even, as long as you can afford to put on another one.

I also think, people might go to a first one, cos it's new and cos everyone's buzzy, and enjoy it, but then maybe take it for granted and think 'Yeah, well it'll be there next time we fancy a night out'.

Hopefully you can afford to keep going...

Good luck

9. DjEffect

DjEffect lethaleffect.co.uk

who was Djing on your launch night?

10. DJ Lordward

DJ Lordward T.D.P.

cheers for the advice guys- much appreciated!
    Dj Effect - We didnt have any big name DJs on our launch night, the same guys that did the 2nd night. I thought turn out would have been better on the 2nd night with Nicky Blackmarket, but nope!

Zoob - D&B isnt that big around here (apart from with chavs & druggies) to be honest, so maybe theres nothin we can do. We got our next night booked & ready in March, so we'll see how that goes. Not sure if we're gonna bother with a big name DJ this time.

Also, the club isnt all that to be honest, so alot of potential ravers maybe put off by that. Moving to a better club isnt really an option at the mo, as we dont have the money & time to promote a huge night professionally right now.

Spose we'll have to stick with it & see how it goes!

11. sparkyc10

sparkyc10 Kentish Junglist

best of luck with it mate. i know iv been blaggin on for ages about it but i still must send u a cd at sum point too! wud be very interested in DJing at ur event. glad ur first night was a success and hope this one is just a good. i remember ur thread about pullin a crowed with no big nae DJ's, so im sure u can manage it again. just remember the most important word in running ur own night and ul be sorted...

PROMOTION!!!

best of luck :2thumbs:

12. zoob

zoob Nine Bar SS.

Yep good luck mate, keep the head up and battle on.

Determination is the winner. (y)

13. lokki

lokki JUNGLIST FROM DEYA

nothing is easy when it comes to breakin even with anything to do with dnb.

try linking up with other promoters and putting all your efforts together.

Also go mob local students! uni's are good for recruiting punters!

Its hard man! i've known shit loads of people loose money through events. you really have to be lucky and get something that no one else has..a unique vibe.