What break is this?

There's an amen in there as well.

But it doesn't really matter where the parts are hitting. There must be at least 20 different original funk breaks that have the same pattern in regard to kicks and snares... it's the sound that makes the break, not the arrangement.

For example, you will not make an 'amen' break with single hits, nor can you make a 'tighten up', even if you have the hits in the same places as the original breaks.

There's an amen in there as well.

But it doesn't really matter where the parts are hitting. There must be at least 20 different original funk breaks that have the same pattern in regard to kicks and snares... it's the sound that makes the break, not the arrangement.

For example, you will not make an 'amen' break with single hits, nor can you make a 'tighten up', even if you have the hits in the same places as the original breaks.

I see. I always thought it was the arrangement which made it the break. Then how am I meant to get an arrangement which has that sort of triple hit? Everything I do sounds a bit...off time.

What triple hit?

I'm not sure what you mean, but in the amen you have the normal 'roll' part hh-sn-hh-sn, then you have the double kick thing. It's just arranged so that there is 1 short roll then the double kick, snare and the rest of the roll.

1 = = = 2 = = = 3 = = = 4 = = =
K = h = S = h . s k k S = h s h s

---------- Post added at 23:58 ---------- Previous post was at 23:57 ----------

damn cant line it up proper... but anyway just experiment using the kick roll thing from "amen" and you'll get there.

What triple hit?

I'm not sure what you mean, but in the amen you have the normal 'roll' part hh-sn-hh-sn, then you have the double kick thing. It's just arranged so that there is 1 short roll then the double kick, snare and the rest of the roll.

1 = = = 2 = = = 3 = = = 4 = = =
K = h = S = h . s k k S = h s h s

---------- Post added at 23:58 ---------- Previous post was at 23:57 ----------

damn cant line it up proper... but anyway just experiment using the kick roll thing from "amen" and you'll get there.

Here's another example of that sort of triple hit sound. Although it may be different/more profound.
http://soundcloud.com/straydnb/stray-locked-up

Back
Top Bottom