What are your thoughts on reality?

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Hombre-J, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Hombre-J

Hombre-J Currently Ballsacked

Or our perceptions of it.

I've been thinking about it a lot recently, trying to consider the mechanics behind what makes something real. It's something that's always fascinated me, and was recently exacerbated by a study I read in which siblings were sharing different versions of the same memories. For example, one brother would recall how he had been lost in a supermarket as a child, and the other would recall exactly the same event with himself as the protagonist. Coupling that with phenomena such as the quantum physics Twin Slit experiment (oi oi), and my personal experiences of on numerous occasions apparently inhabiting multiple realities at once, at least until observed by another, I think I have formulated a fairly clear (if not at all empirically scientific) theory of how we perceive, shape and influence reality.

I wanted to ask if anyone has any theories of their own they'd like to discuss, has had any thoughts on the matter, or even wanted to debate mine? I'm always open to suggestion, and obviously don't think I have all (or any, really) of the answers. I just can't think of anything that is a better topic for contemplation and study, given that if we can truly understand the nature of reality, we may use that knowledge to improve it immeasurably.

[​IMG]

Off out now, I expect at least 14 OP is a fag comments before I return in a few hours.

2. groelle

groelle Well-Known Member

that was more intense than karls ramblings tbh.

3. rysk

rysk Part-time waster

My theories on reality and existence are all too slap dash to really be able to express them effectively, or even understand them fully myself... kinda retarded isn't it? not being able to understand your own thoughts.

regardless, i continue to further my understanding, via meditation and occasional help from my good friends lucy and dimitri ;)

the nihilist in me thinks that all this MAD CRAZY beauty, and harmonious synchronicity in the universe is just a happy accident with absolutely no purpose or reason... it's just a thing, doing some things, for shits and giggles. But there's something itching in the back of my mind, like there's SOOOO much more to it.

4. JHSE23

JHSE23 the yen

I used to have arguments to the same effect with my little brother when I was younger (as the elder, I claimed my more developed memory to be correct :teeth:). Thinking about it now, the argument falls vaguely in line with solipsism, knowing that what you think is the only reality you can be sure of and that nothing else exists or necessarily needs to. That withstanding, I'd say that (and so would many others) reality is always to a degree subjective. If we move past the whole 'it could all be in my head how do I know your green is my green' existentialism and take for granted that there is a given world we move in, then I think our individual comprehensions of the world are based on our own personal histories and experience, and so we do live in different realities at least in that respect. And I wouldn't underplay that difference either.

Not alone brother, practically takes me staring at a blank wall to get a semi-conscious stream of thought.

5. Hombre-J

Hombre-J Currently Ballsacked

Yeah I understand that feeling, though over the past year or so I've really started to be able to cement some of the ideas together. I'm pretty confident in explaining what I believe to be the case at the moment, though I feel there are still plenty more pieces of the puzzle left to slot together to have a complete view of things.

Interesting stuff, life.

6. ThePapa

ThePapa Suffragette City..

We are like cows in a field. We ruminate. We pass the time of day but we are still definitely like cows in a field and I think we'd do well to remember that. Unfortunately when we're young and we think too much we lose our sense of perspective and can on occasions say stuff that sounds clever but on further reflection turns out to be gibberish. Not that I want to stop you doing that of course.

Hombre we can both see this apple can we not? We could both point to the red and the green bits. We both know what the texture of tough apple skin feels like we bite into it. We could both tell apple juice from it's smell because we've both experienced them so 'reality' is shared is it not? But essentially it's based on something outside of ourselves.

[​IMG]

You can't just say you've experienced multiple realities without explaining what you mean. That isn't fair. And what do you mean by a 'theory of perception' when as humans we already have a decent understanding of how the senses work?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  7. MARKLAR

MARKLAR International Tracksuit Salesman

8. SAM2010

SAM2010 Member

False memories. They are quite common.

This doesn't logically follow. Plus you know nothing about quantum physics, so don't evoke it.

Do share...

---------------------------

I recommend you read some books (containing real evidence) on consciousness.

Here's a starting point...

[​IMG]

It's a short read, but it's very concise.

ThePapa likes this.
  9. ThePapa

ThePapa Suffragette City..

Right now that makes two on the side of common sense hussar! Who's going to join us?

10. $marty

$marty Dexcell Staff Member

Dr Mindbender

11. d-low

d-low I know you got soul

I think from this thread thus far, the people who are going to contribute the most will happen to be the people who are taking the most hallucinogens?
    I'm also interested to hear your theory of what you are calling 'reality', Hombre-J. That would have been nice to kick things off with.

I find Jung's 'unconscious' and similar ideas to be quite interesting. But, I think the brain is pretty complex and ultimately powerful in its abilities.
    I like Philosophy, Science and Psychology - and I personally no longer have much need for these kind of multiple, or underlying realities, that you mention, although DMT is on my to-do-list.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  12. Shatner's Bosom

Shatner's Bosom murder TANMUSHIMUSHI

The idea that there is so much more than this is quite exciting, but naive IMO, not saying don't enjoy DMT but don't take it too seriously lol, it's a drug

13. Mania

Mania i fukin wot m8

After a year in philosophy and two years in psychology class, i can safely say that i dont give a fuck.
    Reality is a perceptual construct and is completely reliant on a subjective mental state. A state which is pretty much always changing and ends up being difficult to understand or follow. To try and explain it is a vain task. You can try but you'll only get so far, and either way people wont genuinely give a shit what you think unless you somehow manages to become a 'respected' 'expert' philosopher, which as an occupation only exists because of the human habit of taking the ideas of a more socially powerful other and making them our own.
    There's no point really.

14. dat_skunk

dat_skunk Active Member

Pretty much, although I wouldn't say that its completely pointless in trying to understand the nature of reality, but i agree with you that it is certainly a daunting task that usually leaves you with more questions than answers. As humans, I feel that we are severely limited (or perhaps incapable) in our perceptions to fully grasp the true nature of the universe even if it was spelled out clearly in front of our eyes. As Socrates once roughly said, "A wise man knows that he knows nothing."

As far as the reality that we know and live in, it's almost completely driven by our consciousness, which has been programmed through millions of years of evolution. As much as we'd like to think we create our own reality, it seems to be beyond our control. It's like when you just wake up from a deep sleep and you question your own senses because your mental state is jumbled from the vivid dream you were just having. Our brains force us into this reality and it is nearly impossible to escape. Sure, you can drop acid or gobble down some shrooms to expand your consciousness and find insight on the deeper meaning of life, but no one truly knows, its only speculation. I'd like to think that when I die, I will be confronted by some superior being that will tell me how this shit really is. That's very wishful thinking though haha.

Mania likes this.
  15. Mania

Mania i fukin wot m8

Spot on man haha. And the idea of heaven (and a lot of other religious stuffs) and wishful thinking about post mortem is all part of a persons self reassurance. It seems natural for a person to reassure that what they are doing will lead to good consequences, as part of 'hope' (to presume the best). And on the contrary, how people expect the worse when things arent going well, as part of 'paranoia' (to presume the worst).
    It's this kind of inherent mental persuasion that seems to be part of the human quest for survival.

16. Teddy

Teddy 60% Staff Member

reality only exists on what we perceive to exist from the information we gather from our senses.
    we can see less than 1% of the electromagnetic spectrum so there could be all sorts of other shit there. so why dont i bump into a burple building that was erected by our invisible ant specie overlords? who knows!
    i for one salute the ants and if by some mishap i have created all of you in my own reality, i question why i made so many other inferior beings to make myself look better. why did i need that ego boost? i am all the all powerful creator.

17. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

this is something ive been wondering about for ages, if there is so much stuff we are incapable of perceiving, how come were not walking into the burple building?
    its more minbending than my drivvel because im not entirely educated in really anything. so its rad thread. very mindbend conversation. much universe. such dimensions. wow.

18. tewky1

tewky1 Well-Known Member

This blows my mind a little bit,is the universe just a mouse brain cell, are we the imagination of sammy the shrew?

[​IMG]

Ever thought about simulation theory. What if you could make a simulator, that was so real, you couldnt perceive it being a sim, and then in that sim world you made a sim world, that was so real, you couldnt perceive it. We could be infinity worlds into a computer programme?

Then perception as a whole. If looked at at microscopic levels, why does a rock look exactly the same as a human cell? Why do we perceive things that have spaces in their construct as solid objects?

You are a very bold man to say you getting it figured out Hombre, more power to you, I only have questions, questions I will probably never get answers to, kinda bums me out.

logikz likes this.
  19. Dugg Funnie

Dugg Funnie Well-Known Member

Look here's all you need to know about "reality":

Pussy feels good.

EWOKS likes this.
  20. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

nuh uh, HERE is all you need to know about reality: its stupid.

pussy is for poofs. what you want to do is fuck arse. and force foreskin soldering