What are you guys using for EQing?

mr meh

VIP Junglist
So do you guys just EQ stuff within your DAW, or do you use plug-ins for it?

I see a lot of a talk about eqing certain frequencies out so im trying to learn that side of things atm, theres a few EQing methods in my daw, theres an EQing dial on the mixer, and then theres two other equalizers within the daw but theres no parametric layout on either them.........is there something missing here?

Yeh it has a marvelous amount of different curves available plus that spectrum thing as well.

For high end sparkle, Stillwell 1973

For 'character' (in the mids especially, can get boomy quickly though) Voxengo Overtone EQ. It's free btw.

I recently came across a website called weallmakemusic.com, you may or may not have heard of it. Theres a guy on there called Simon Langford,
some of the production/engineering tips he gives are first class,real top quality, tips on eQING also, check it out,

Somewhere, sometime I read an article that all EQ's are basically the same, unless they have some colouration quality to them, which is usually undesirable, and that with a fully parametric EQ you can emulate any 'vintage' EQ or whatever. I'm not buying a 100% but it did make a lot of sense and the examples he showed were very convincing.

.02€

standard eq in reason.its not what you use or how many special features it has its all about how you use it.

Yeah I just use the Parametric EQ2 in FL Studio. I used to use the 1st one, but then finally realised that the 2nd version also has a frequency analyzer in it too! Real good for finding peaks in frequencies

Been moving to Stillwell's Vibe-eq for the high end sparkle, very nice sounding eq indeed.
The sonnox eq still my workhorse though.
Don't like the parametric 2, avoid it like the flu =D
It's like, i'll use it if at times, but if i need something percise, it won't cut it for me.

Izotope Ozone 3 has a proper sick frequency analyser - worth a look

Fig2_Ozone3.jpg

I just use the Logic EQ's and the Apple AU EQ's. Occasionally I will use SPL Free Ranger too just for a little deviation from the norm.

Ableton EQ8 is great, WAVES Q10 is excellent aswell, although its resonance can be a bit of a pain, Gliss is the Bollox

Back
Top Bottom