what are the best ways to crash?

concept beats

hey there
i wanted to start this tread to listen your opinion and techinques about using crash cymbals in dnb,
i mean: what are the best ways to enfatize the cymbal samples and get that rich sound that fits good in the mix?
i always notice that my crashes usually sucks, they are always or too quiet and suffocated under the mixdown, or way too loud giving an awful earbleed just on the drop.
i would really like to know how you work on them, if you layer them with multiple samples or just duplicate the same sample and pan them one on full left and one on full right
just share your ideas :D

keep it rolling, Concept :)

lowpass a copy and layer, basically. compress together or something like that, many many years ago a dude name affliction posted this technique and serum picked up on it. i tried it too and its really good, and it lead me to ttrying it with other sounds, from breaks to pads to blarps to reece, and its good.

lowpass a copy and layer, basically. compress together or something like that, many many years ago a dude name affliction posted this technique and serum picked up on it. i tried it too and its really good, and it lead me to ttrying it with other sounds, from breaks to pads to blarps to reece, and its good.

Shed some light here, bodo: crashes tend to occupy the highest frequency areas, so how will you lowpass them? Wouldn't they lose "air" because of this?

To add, the 1-2khz range of cymbals is usually jank- you can use a notch to get rid of some of the harshness to crashes etc

Back
Top Bottom