WERE YOU AROUND IN THE 90's?

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Whatweworeuk, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Whatweworeuk

Whatweworeuk New Member

Hey all,

I am working on a new book and we would love to include photo submissions from any of you who were around during the 90's.

'What We Wore' is a 'People's' history of British street style and youth subcultures from 1950-2010 featuring 'non professional' or 'amateur/family' photographs compiled from the personal collections of British cultural icons alongside contributions from the general public. Each contributor will submit never seen before images of them in their adolescent and formative years alongside short texts giving insight into their life and style. It is being published by Prestel in 2014.

Rather than attempting to pigeonhole people in to 'tribes', the project is about bringing out the nuances of peoples stories through the richness of their personal images and narration, hence the term 'a people's history'. It's a documentary project celebrating the outsider spirit, and affirming the role the style plays in the formation of British youth cultural identity.

I would just need 1 to 6 images, 'non professional' ie- home photos and a little line of text to go with each. It would be great if you have a scanner and can scan them at 300dpi. We can also have your photos sent to us by recorded delivery for scanning and returned to you

You can see samples here. http://what-we-wore.com/post/46264501376/on-the-sixth-day-god-created-man-chester

Please get in touch if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

WHAT WE WORE

2. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

dude, that is awesome! id love to contribute, but im not from the uk. i was a bit hesitant at first, but i really like the look of it now.

3. EWOKS

EWOKS POTATOES GONNA POTATE

NAFFNAFF54

SPLIFFY

JAILBIRD

GLOBAL HYPER COLOUR

/THREAD.

ONSLAUGHT88, Teddy and Moskit like this.
  4. logikz

sam have you edited your avatar into simon cowell being suffocated with a belt yourself? or was it always like that? also, did you make your sig yourself? its kind of hard to figure out where you find the time to do all the shit you do

5. EWOKS

6. jungle_fever

jungle_fever Well-Known Member

bad hair cuts. really bad hair cuts

7. EWOKS

Nope.

Googles, all of it.

i mean, times fine.. i have plenty of that.. but skill.. is the thing here we should be questioning..

you remember the thread that you was a pirate right?

your on this boat... well it was photoshop/paint thread.. i think my offering in there should tell you the skill level im at.

logikz likes this.
  8. Whatweworeuk

Whatweworeuk New Member

Hey! Thanks so much for showing some interest but unfortunately 'What We Wore' is a people’s style history of Britain, so we can only accept British submissions. But please spread the word to anyone you think may be interested.

Thanks,
    WHAT WE WORE

- - - Updated - - -

Unless you have pictures taken in the UK?

9. EWOKS

[​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

[​IMG]

10. logikz

haha no i dont, i havent been to the UK since 1996 when i spent the summer in oxford. rose hill represents to the fullest. for no other reason than that i was there, that one time. there were some pictures, from a disposable kodak fun camera, and i will tell you what i wore i wore knowing full well that nobody cares. baggy chinos, etnies and all the wu wear i could find in london, on oxford street, as it were. this is just before wu-wear existed, and the market was gagging for it. the idea was there, the song was out (wu wear, garment resistance), and the album booklets all had merchandise, but wu-wear didnt yet exist, so bootleggers were making good money off this black hole in the market. just black tees or hoodies of fairly low quality and some wu tang flarp/doodle printed on there and they sold like hot cakes. later, of course, when wu-wear was up and running, there was alot of questionable designs, i mean it started out well enough, with pretty cool designs you could wear and not look like a neon barf gigantic wu tang walking advert, but pretty soon the Ali G type kits were all over and wu-wear was impossible to sport with any kind of credibility. fuck i am really happy i didnt tattoo wu tang. or alien workshop for that matter. really, tattoos is really not for kids. remember that guy who tatooed pigs? pretty funny, and felt a bit animal cruelty ish dont you find

Sovereign and d-low like this.
  11. PhorceOfHabit

PhorceOfHabit Seldom

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
    EWOKS likes this.
  12. IV4

IV4 Currently a newt.

I was in the U.S. skateboarding listing to Criss Cross and Sublime. :( Sorry I can't be of any help but you have a neat idea.

13. EWOKS

yooouuuu know! ... skittles is quality

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  14. Eternaloptimist

Eternaloptimist Active Member

15. Moskit

Moskit :rodigan: Staff Member

Pretty much what ewoks said.

+ Champion/Fila/British Knights trainers.

Also.

NASA Bomber Jackets.

16. ThePapa

ThePapa Suffragette City..

Mate the bright yellow Tommy Hillfiger puffa jacket and heavily branded Moschino jeans were the two epoch defining items of clothing for the mid nineties. In contrast the white (non raving) working/middle classes wore YSL check shirts and generic jeans. HTH.

Teddy likes this.
  17. logikz

cool starry bra. not sure if its really your finest work though. concise though, so points for that.

18. ThePapa

Yeah non sure what happened to my photos of the era...pre digital and all that. Can't stress the importance of that jacket though (came in silver later) in terms of emboldening high street designs. Brought confidence to the consumer imo.

19. logikz

gods david, dont you ever sleep?

20. ThePapa

On occasion Karl...on occasion.

You realise Artfx has been reluctant to come back on here after you bullied him right? I think maybe you went over the top with him. Shame really.