Weak, empty drums

How to make drums sound good?

Use your fucking head.

really logically, it shouldn't be too hard. You want a wall of sound? side chain the breaks and such, want maximum punch? Gate a compress the shit out of it.

For me, I always have a kick that has a deep thump to it, 808 maybe, and a punch kick, and same for the snare.

ignore me, i have low self esteem and no friends, had no girl friends my entire life and can't make music to save my life.

i think imma delete my account soon anyways.

Dont say that. Or we will speak to 4chan and organize a Facebook Party at your house with 90,000 people.

dnbforum can only make you stronger!! Unless they tell you to fuck off

chronically-depressed-meat.gif
i-am-sorry-for-making-you-so-depressed.gif
ist2_4117719-depressed.jpg

so i went clubbing all nights this weekend and after partied in the daytime. i did a veritable rumbelow hey-ho of chemicals, its fair to say my disposition was that of a medicine cabinet at certain times. but the monday after it all seems so grey, the converstations seem arbitrary and stupid and all the new mates you made make you feel like a real fag. so im no stranger to depression even if i bring it on myself without cease. yesterday i recovered from it all through a greasy salami and olive pizza in a restaurant. and a coke. that was all it took, which is strange, after that much partying im usually due for a week long hangover.i then proceeded to light candles round my bed and drink 12% beers and watch old sherlock holmes flicks. autumn is one of my 4 fave seasons.
i even thought of this girl i used to know. i didnt know it at the time because it was a hazy recollection, a forlorne memory of love lost and a sensation that even though i would never be able to get it back, i love being alive more whenever i get that. which is when i realized it was her i was thinking about. anyways feel better old boy.

I was the same... my drums sounded like they were paper bags being hit with a cotton buds for ages... Until, as everyone has pointed out here, I started lairing them up, and then buying some decent samples. Got some nice ones from Loop Masters and Gold Baby.

I also started to spend a lot more time auditioning the different samples, before matching them up. Some sounded cool by themselves, but after adding them to other drums they kinda' disappeared into the background - So for me it's a lot of trial and error.

I'm still getting my head around the whole frequencies bit, but I found not letting them encroach on each other helped a lot. My drums don't sound anywhere near pro (prolly never will in fairness), but they've improved over the last month or so.

haha u lot crack me up, 10 snares is not overkill, i make all my drums on redrum in reason, i have 2 different redrum tracks with roughly 5 snares on each, each with their own character. one of these redrums i will eq to bring out the punch of the snare, i use about 4 parameter eqs to bring out specific frequencies. then the 2nd redrum is eqd to bring out the high end and again using around 4 parameter eqs to bring out specific frequencies. then the two tracks are run through one mixer which i then eq slightly, maximise and compress. tried and tested and adds so much more character to my snare sounds.
the reason i use 3 kick drum sounds is one for low end, one for the punch and one for a bit of click. jus my way of doing things, i used to only use 2 or 3 snare samples and you can clearly hear the difference in quality between my old drums and my new drums. anyways, i work the way that works best for me!!!!

i thought it was a tutorial in how to make weak empty drums which is something that would intereset me enormously.

using a kick and snare from a single sample pack. use no eq or compression and place as follows:

K-----K-K---K-----K-K---
---S------S------S------S-

Add some seasoning to taste and serve chilled

Okay so first off, I use FL Studio 8, and I can't seem to understand why when i build a drum break it sounds so empty. When I listen to professionally done drums, or even hear some amateur/beginner drums, they sound so filled in with very little empty space.

My question is, why are my drum breaks so empty sounding?

add Ghost hits, very quiet hits off snares/hats/rims/anything

I am on cubase 5 and if im honest it isn't about how you eq and compress in the long run its the samples you use man . personally i use 2 kicks 1 for presence and 1 for the punch ... i only ever take away below 55-60hz so the kick will run nicely with the sub and with the snare i usually use 1 snare hitting around 180hz and 1 with 180hz taken away slightly and boosted at 200hz and a distorted clap for the high ... remember its all about the breaks so use an amen and low pass it it will give you the shake you need in the background . www.soundcloud.com/dialoguefullforceaudio

so i went clubbing all nights this weekend and after partied in the daytime. i did a veritable rumbelow hey-ho of chemicals, its fair to say my disposition was that of a medicine cabinet at certain times. but the monday after it all seems so grey, the converstations seem arbitrary and stupid and all the new mates you made make you feel like a real fag. so im no stranger to depression even if i bring it on myself without cease. yesterday i recovered from it all through a greasy salami and olive pizza in a restaurant. and a coke. that was all it took, which is strange, after that much partying im usually due for a week long hangover.i then proceeded to light candles round my bed and drink 12% beers and watch old sherlock holmes flicks. autumn is one of my 4 fave seasons.
i even thought of this girl i used to know. i didnt know it at the time because it was a hazy recollection, a forlorne memory of love lost and a sensation that even though i would never be able to get it back, i love being alive more whenever i get that. which is when i realized it was her i was thinking about. anyways feel better old boy.

Hahaa I had a laugh about this Logi, sounded like me.

really! well holler if youre in town. well go for a drink, talk about other things maybe. anyway life is so painfully beautiful and anyone who can feel happy about that is truly in a position where happiness is not far off.

Back
Top Bottom