Waveshapers...

smoothassilk

VIP Junglist
Using waveshapers a lot atm, and I can really see how powerful they are.

Can I create ANY kind of distortion using the right waveshaper shape?
Is is possible and also is it practical?

Saturation, soft to hard clipping and bitcrushing I can see how to do, but is there anything else?

In FL studio it can be safe to use a waveshaper at around 40-80% on a bassline with simple waveform! I mostly go through some presets untill i got the right sound

I use them for compression mostly, usually sounds a bit too digital for distortion

I have watched that seamless guy do something similar, is there any other plugs that you can recreate how he does that? Im not exactly sure of how he does that just know he is compressing using a waveshaper.

I use them for compression mostly, usually sounds a bit too digital for distortion

Doesn't it depend how smooth a curve you draw? If you have can get a nice smooth tanh-type saturation curve it doesn't sound digital to me.

but is there anything else?

Distortion that use frequency and phase as a variables like some of the tape or analog dist simulators. Often just means an EQ or a convolution before and/or after the distortion stages.

I use my waveshaper as noise gate frequently. So useful. :)

Last edited:
The only wave shaper i use in the max for live shaper. its so nasty. Im trying to find more wave shaper vst's but i can't really find any. can someone send in in the right direction?

The only wave shaper i use in the max for live shaper. its so nasty. Im trying to find more wave shaper vst's but i can't really find any. can someone send in in the right direction?
Different waveshapers don't really have more features, about the only controls you would want are dry/wet and maybe input level.
I use the curve waveshaper that comes with cm magazine, it has easy to use curve editing and a before/after wave display.

Yeah, its nasty as hell. side chaining that beast is where its at. its sometimes hard to tame, but when you get those settings just right, it screams with that Evol Intent-Punch Out sound.

I love waveshaping in layers, can get some fantastic resonance/harmonics going on, subtle and gentle works best imo, for my sound at least

Cableguys Waveshaper CM

Yeah that's the one I was talking about only I forgot words.
[MENTION=92349]Mania[/MENTION] I tend not to use the analogue clipping cause if I wanted a smooth distortion I'd either draw one in or go and get camelcrusher instead.

Yeah that's the one I was talking about only I forgot words.
[MENTION=92349]Mania[/MENTION] I tend not to use the analogue clipping cause if I wanted a smooth distortion I'd either draw one in or go and get camelcrusher instead.
camelcrusher def aint smooth. smooth and mech love to try and kill my sounds. Dont usually go above 15%. Analog clippin on the other hand, smooth as a babies bottom. Used with the shaper, amazing for increasing loudness.

Back
Top Bottom