Wave to MP3 - Quality Loss

Snaz

Really naffs me off after spending so much time on the finer detail of a track and then see it turn out different when compressed down to mp3

Last night i had to stick the bass channel right up so it massively distorted in the wave just so the mp3 export sounded ok

Does everyone else have the same similar issues or am i doing something wrong? Any tips?

Thanks

320k VBR is the best you will get, but it will still distort the top and bottom end, try FLAC, although the actual compression of FLAC isnt always worth the effort, could be 50% could be 5%

having said that, why is the bass distorted in the WAV? loudness should not distort the sound unless it is clipping, or if your compressor in the master out is working to hard

Of course you will get different sounds when converting WAVE to MP3, but the difference should not be that big. The best it can be heard on high frequency sounds like hihats and cymbals, it also changes your low end but that's a lot less audible. I try to avoid MP3 as much as possible, 24 bit - 48000Khz WAVE is what I normally use, I only use MP3 for sending tunes fast and I don't go lower than 320 Kbps.

They did a test the first one is the WAVE file:

freq_chart_wav1.jpg

MP3:

freq_chart_mp31.jpg

You can see clearly that the mp3 loses quite some detail in the upper frequencies from 16000 kHz and upwards.

I guess it depends on what you are doing with the Mp3 as well. For listening to shit on the Walkman I'm plenty happy with 192. But if I'm listening with the old HD650's then the higher the better, as they really point out any imperfections in the audio.

So then what do you guys upload to Soundcloud?

If they stream in 128 then how much difference would there be between Wav (uploaded) > convert 128 mp3 > listener
or Wav >convert 320 mp3 (uploaded) > convert 128 mp3 > listener.

How much will the extra conversion affect the sound or have I got that muddled up?

There is a BIG friggin difference between 196/320 kbs. VBR is sounding perfect for me.
People have to understand that it depends on your freq range wether a conversion will modify your sound.
Meaning, a 196 still can sound brilliant compared to a wav for example, it all matters on the mix and freq range and of course your signal chain.

@Subprime
I`m not 100% sure here, but i suggest that converting a wave to 128 cuts the high freq`s in bigger steps than 320 to 192.
meaning the 320 to 192 conversion will leave you with more precise high freq`s.

Back
Top Bottom