Wav or Mp3

SuburbanFilth

Just finished a track today and after exporting it to wav,32 bit depth, 44,1kHz, it is 96mb :D.Is that normal? Also there is no option in ableton to export it as mp3.

Yes that is completely normal, the quality of a WAV file is much better than from an MP3 file. You'll need an audio editor to convert it to MP3.

if you are gona render @ 32bit, you should at least also set it to 96khz; the file size is massivly diffrent then tho, 24bit 96khz is 200mb+ for 5-6mins

converting 32bit wav's to mp3 can be problematic sumtimes, 24/16bit is usually fairly straight forward (with something like winLAME)

Before i lost all my project files i would render a .wav and .mp3 version of each project.

Aren't there any converters that do FLACS? I thought they kept the quality of a WAV at a much smaller size?

Its annoying that Ableton doesnt have export to mp3. Some of the features that these major daws choose to overlook are ridiculous.

hmm i forgot to mention im on a mac and DVDvideosoft.com is for windows only :( can any1 else recommend possibly free converter ?
Thanks in advance!

WWow, ableton sucks then doesn't it? I mean surely you have to be able to render them as mp3? Fl can do even flac if i remember correctly. Tunes I render as mp3 and samples as good as possible quality wavs.

Just finished a track today and after exporting it to wav,32 bit depth, 44,1kHz, it is 96mb :D.Is that normal? Also there is no option in ableton to export it as mp3.

stick it on mp3 (320) seriously, all my tunes are 320's and never had anyoine complain about the quality....for one they will play on any type of cdj.....and if your using aim and send a wav it takes ages......

maybe if your playing after andy c then use wavs but tbh, the ravers isnt goint to notice any difference between the two as long as its mastered well

When you have finished producing/mixing a track I recommend creating a 24 bit limited version and a 24 bit unlimited version (ensure the master bus does not clip when you remove the limiter, pull down the master fader by the amount needed to stop clipping if it does.) As well as your dithered down 16 bit self finalized version. Then all bases are covered for retaining maximum quality should it need manipulating by a mastering engineer later on. (i.e. you choose to or it ends up on a compilation etc.)

cheers

SafeandSound Mastering
Mastering studio

When you have finished producing/mixing a track I recommend creating a 24 bit limited version and a 24 bit unlimited version (ensure the master bus does not clip when you remove the limiter, pull down the master fader by the amount needed to stop clipping if it does.) As well as your dithered down 16 bit self finalized version. Then all bases are covered for retaining maximum quality should it need manipulating by a mastering engineer later on. (i.e. you choose to or it ends up on a compilation etc.)

cheers

SafeandSound Mastering
Mastering studio

this tbh. 32bit is unnecessary

MP3's were designed for our slow internet network in the old days.

These days there's no excuse for not using WAV if im honest.

WAV's are the technics of the digital file world

cheers

SafeandSound Mastering
Mastering studio

thanks m8 i'll keep taht in mind !

Always bounce wav 24bit you can't go wrong. If you were to send a mastering engineer an mp3 he will send it back and ask for you to send it in wav format. Once you have bounced in wav format by all means bounce an mp3 to email or post out for promotional purposes. Think of the wav as a hard copy that you can only make worse never make better. Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom