'Wasting' Composition

Discussion in 'Production' started by Sider48, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Sider48

Sider48 New Member

Easy everyone,

I had an interesting discussion with a mate this week
    He thinks that if you really like the composition of one of your tunes you should spend a lot of time into it and should try to fix every little detail
    But imo it's not really useful to go like that, because I think you should try to get your tunes done as fast as you can because i made the experience that if I spend too much time on a tune, I end up with being not happy because I'm in a different state of knowledge about mixdown and writing tunes as I was in the beginning...

So what do you think? :hagglers:

2. Psychoholic

Psychoholic Quantum Cunt

Bananas.

I don't agree with anyone of you.

3. Sider48

Sider48 New Member

What do you think then? :upyours:

4. Rajstah Vibe

Rajstah Vibe soundcloud.com/rajstah

It's something you need to push yourself into.
    Details are what listeners loves... What makes a tunes standing out.
    You don't care about details, you make a lazy tune that has not character in it.
    IMO.

It's kind of putting the efforts on showing off your skills, passion and dedication to your sound. Otherwise you produce an "Ikea" tune.
    I hope you don't want that...

5. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

I think you are completely wrong. The more time you spend on a track, ironing out all the creases, the better the final product. Sure, I guess there is a point where you could over do it, and spend too much time on it. But I certainly don't think you should push them out as quick as possible. If you do that, then they won't be mixed down as well as they could be, nor would they have the best structure, or diversity about them.

6. Sider48

Sider48 New Member

Yeah I see your point
    I maybe expressed myself wrong, I more meant something like I wouldn't stay on one tune too long because somewhere comes a point where you start fixing things which you've liked in the beginning
    But generally I agree with you

7. Rajstah Vibe

Rajstah Vibe soundcloud.com/rajstah

What I usually do is create a bunch of projects from the same one, as the tune develop I save with V.1, V.2...
    I also bounce the mixdowns of each project. I'm that way I can always compare the improvements and see if I'm losing the characteristics I loved at first.
    That way I can recover if I'm going bad and make sure to improve instead of over process.
    It works, for me at least.

8. Psychoholic

Psychoholic Quantum Cunt

Its quite easy, you work on a tune up until you think its finished, they you do the mixdown and the mastering. Done deal. Never rush a project and never "over process" a track. If your over-processing a track then you either have got a shit track on your hands that you can't make anything out of that you think is good enough, or your just never satisfied with what you produce and then you should really figure out what your doing anyway.

If you just can't seem to finish something up, just dont do it and start a new project. Maybe later on you go back and finish it maybe you don't. Who cares its not like Ed Rush keeps calling you if the track is done yet or not.

9. JimpaDirt

JimpaDirt Vettvilling

I think the key is to know when a sound/chord progression and such sounds good or when a section of the tune sound empty and needs something more. And if you learn to hear those things, you will know when your tune is finnished or not.

Of course you should try to make the tune you are working on sound as good as you possibly can... Else it would be pointless imo.

10. kieran t

kieran t Member

exactly my thought

11. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

do you make this new age of jump up style then?

- - - Updated - - -

but a better answer is... ive never actually finished a tune cos im never completely happy with the ins and outs of effects or sound design or wat not so IMO its down to finding a balance of perfect but not ocd to your tunes