was just thinking...

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by duttymonster, Mar 7, 2011.

1. duttymonster

duttymonster deep in the jungle

It won't be long before music is totally intangible. such a strange thought. I have obviously adapted over the last few years to digital music, but the idea of a whole sense disappearing from the experience will be like loosing an old friend.

2. ThePapa

ThePapa Suffragette City..

Have to say I never really made friends with any of my cd's so not really bothered. I prefer to think of music as something that comes out of a speaker...

3. duttymonster

i hate CDs (minidiscs were much better!). never went to them from vinyl, but now i'm going vinyl to digital. it's a brave new world!

4. Scatcat

Scatcat It don't mean shit

its a shit new world

5. ThePapa

Not that bad. Thank god for serato.

It's actually cheaper to buy vinyl and use the cover as a poster than buy the artwork on it's own. Would definately miss it if vinyl went.

6. Scatcat

Scatcat It don't mean shit

this is true

7. duttymonster

what do you mean buy the artwork on it's own? like from itunes or beatport or you mean like a poster?

8. ThePapa

[​IMG]

You dont get this online...and it's on cardboard. Stick it in a frame from pound shop and you've got some of the cheapest art on the market.

9. duttymonster

i agree - and am pleased (as a designer) that you feel that way.

---------- Post added at 00:46 ---------- Previous post was at 00:43 ----------

but it's gonna happen innit, let's be honest!

10. ThePapa

I buy alot of the new jungle stuff and that's pretty solidly vinyl for the moment...some singles are even vinyl only so respect to them. The difference in sound quality is the only reason we've had the two formats running alondside from the year 2000 till now.

Cant be sure it's gonna die assuming this recession doesnt drag on for too long...

11. Jwood27

Jwood27 VICTIM

it is the one thing i don't like about digital music and cds. i want some nice artwork up on my wall :(

12. Moskit

Moskit :rodigan: Staff Member

I own a huge amount of early 90s stuff, jungle & a massive amount of reggae back catalouge on vinyl.

But i'm purely CD based these days, if I play out or at home, its all recorded to MP3/WAV & I actually love CDJ's.

I mean, i'm safe in the knowledge i've got my vinyl yes, but its the content thats most important to me, not which format I play it on...

People seem to get way too hung up on the "prestige" of being a vinyl purist.

I'm pretty darn sure my vinyl collection would make most jealous, but to me its no more of a status symbol or better tool than my CDs/MP3's.

I dunno... :shrug:

Just my 50ps worth anyway.

13. Thin and crispy

Thin and crispy Active Member

but you've had the pleasure of owning your music on vinyl, and as much as your right, over all it is the content thats important, you've still had that experiance of owning a physical piece of music. To me theres no satisfaction in buying a bunch of 0' and 1's from a website. I finaly bought one of my favourite tunes the other night cos its an MP3 only release (deadly habit - synesthesia theory remix) and i didnt feel anything like the feeling i get buying vinyl. there's just something different about it... it is very impersonal imo but then i guess thats all down to the individual. If Everything becomes completely digitalised then i think future generations won't have that same passion about the music as some people still do today. When the idea that something will never truely be lost to you and a replacement is just a few clicks away will you ever truely appreciate what it is you have? Its like that song... don't it always seem to go, but you don't what you got till its gone.

14. Moskit

Maybe not when you buy it yes, you're right, the process & feeling of buying records I guess is quite unique/exciting, no different as soon as you burn it CD though, then when you get to play that tune to a crowd or to somebody that appreciates it, or even to yourself, for me any positive feelings I may or may not have lost out on from not buying a vinyl are a distant memory.

Like I said, hang ups... ;)

Fair enough though man, thats you, all i'm saying is, thats easy to get over.

15. DontLikeCops

DontLikeCops Certified tramp

The main reason im sticking with vinyl is im too lazy to transfer it all to mp3 i wanna, i have serato but not getting any use now. One day I will do it.

16. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

i agree 100%... i'm glad when you put your mind to it moskit you can really write, you often put in words what i want to say in a thread but stumble over (y)

17. Moskit

I'm not just a pretty face :teeth:

18. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

i think here your describing a hobby and passion for you... ie buying and collecting vinyl, it was a hobby and a passion for me too, i loved finding that tune from yesteryear on the bay and paying well over the odds just to acquire it!

however, now i prefer producing tunes to collecting tunes, so i get that same majic when i burn my latest track, go for a drive and rinse out the system (y)

19. ApeCat

ApeCat Human Dubplate

I've been playing bands for like the past ten years now, music is staying very much tangible in my case, thankyouverymuch!

Vinyl has supposedly been dying ever since the magnettic casette, nah worry yourself!

20. ThePapa

Welding two bits of vinyl together in a mix draws me in and involves me much more than mixing cds. Nothing to do with emotional attachment to a format and everything to do with what's coming through my ears and the tips of my fingers...

It's actually a better tool than the alternatives which is why alot of the big guns switched to serato. I have a hunch it'll live on...