warped vinyl

aladdin sane

i bought a few records off outerbound and the one record that i really wanted is warped, the side i want is the loose side to make it worse. is there any way of fixing this? they havent responded to my emails so im considering d.i.y. any tips?

you can try heating it up w/ a blowdryer then laying it flat and putting something on top it (make sure its covered completely w/ equal weight distribution). or you can try this more convoluted way that i found a while ago: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/188522/how_to_fix_a_warped_record.html

i got a warped total science record, and ive been meaning to try the blowdryer method that i thought up (since i dont want to spend money fixing warps), but have been too lazy. if youre willing to experiment then try it.

Not really.
Ive tried putting them under heavy books but it doesn't really work.
Make sure you store them vertically upright though.

Yeah leaving them on the decks in the sun for a day wasnt a good idea.

TC- Gameover/Rockstar
TC - Where's My Money / Deep

No major lost.

when i used to mix housey stuff i hated that Planet Perfecto tune 'Bullet In The Gun' so much that i purposely put over the kettle and warped it into a box! God i hated that tune, can't remember why i even bort it.

when i used to mix housey stuff i hated that Planet Perfecto tune 'Bullet In The Gun' so much that i purposely put over the kettle and warped it into a box! God i hated that tune, can't remember why i even bort it.

lmao, funny as fuck! havent gone this far against a piece of plastic, but i have snapped one in rage during soundcheck at a club lol..

ive had a few vinyls from tempest records, birm. that wer warpped when i got em. (uncle lee sellin his dinner plates rather than his dubplates again, psht.)

i had em anyway, never been too bothered about em (the diablo needles are so heavy they plates stil dont jump around) and theyve sorta bent themselves back into shape again. dunno how lol.:not_worth:

but i have snapped one in rage during soundcheck at a club

In my earlier days of mising dnb, i couldn't work out a double drop because one of the tunes had 2 extra bars, which seems silly now cos i understand it all now but at the time it pissed me off so much i threw it against my wall so had it dented it and shattered the record into about 15 pieces! Only wish i could remember what tune it was cos actually quite liked it! :rinsed:

you can try heating it up w/ a blowdryer then laying it flat and putting something on top it (make sure its covered completely w/ equal weight distribution). you can try this more convoluted way that i found a while ago: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/188522/how_to_fix_a_warped_record.html

thanks for that mate gonna try that blowdryer thing, if that doesnt work ill try the glass. its not a mega expensive tune or anything so im gonna experiment a bit. worse case i have to buy it again. won't use outerbound again though i emailed them two weeks ago about it and still nothing. guess thats the problem of buying online really :soap_box:

thanks for that mate gonna try that blowdryer thing, if that doesnt work ill try the glass. its not a mega expensive tune or anything so im gonna experiment a bit. worse case i have to buy it again. won't use outerbound again though i emailed them two weeks ago about it and still nothing. guess thats the problem of buying online really :soap_box:

what site was it you brought them off

ive had a few vinyls from tempest records, birm. that wer warpped when i got em. (uncle lee sellin his dinner plates rather than his dubplates again, psht.)

Serve you right for not going in and looking him straight in the eye when you got handed them ;) I love and hate Lee in equal measures, last time I went in I said to him "right I only want this one record, I don't want to buy 12 like I did last time".... Ended up spending £65. :(

I've fixed some minor warpage by using two heavy hardback books to sandwich the record, and then putting something moderately heavy on top. I had to leave the record in there for a couple of days though, turning it over periodically to ensure that the pressure was uniform and was equally applied.

However for more severe warpage I think you would need heat, but it's tricky. Problem with heat is that it's going to really damage the grooves more than just passive downward pressure will - so be EVER so careful if you're blasting a hairdryer onto the record. Short bursts of heat from a distance of at least a foot away and VERY GENTLE pulling back into shape will do far less damage than heating the record up loads and then just yanking it in the opposite direction.

Last edited:
i use chemical-records.co.uk. best prices and shipping (for me at least) and the records have never come warped (thank goodness, considering they gotta travel over 2 oceans and a continent!!!) my warped ts record was my fault when i was walkin' home from the shop on a sunny day.

I had a load of old reggae tunes i got at a car boot sale for a little reggae party we were having. Left them in my car for a week after, during the summer, and needless to say, they all got warped....

A few tacks later and i had a novel new way of decorating my bedroom wall. Think thats just about the only thing you can do with warped vinyl.

Left them in my car for a week after, during the summer, and needless to say, they all got warped....

A few tacks later and i had a novel new way of decorating my bedroom wall. Think thats just about the only thing you can do with warped vinyl.

hahaa yeah a mate did that at a beach party we had, he honestly fucked up about 40 records the fool

tried the hairdryer thing and it did sorta work, trouble is as soon as it cooled it would ping up again. sooooo i heated it up again put it on a book put another book on top and two crates of records on top of that. still not great.
i emailed the shop again and they still havent contacted me so think im gonna buy it again from somewhere else and make a nice ashtray or something

maybe consider serato :rolleyes:

hahaa yeah a mate did that at a beach party we had, he honestly fucked up about 40 records the fool

tried the hairdryer thing and it did sorta work, trouble is as soon as it cooled it would ping up again. sooooo i heated it up again put it on a book put another book on top and two crates of records on top of that. still not great.
i emailed the shop again and they still havent contacted me so think im gonna buy it again from somewhere else and make a nice ashtray or something

maybe consider serato :rolleyes:

that sux, must be a real bad warp i guess, startin from the inside maybe?

dont buy anythin from them anymore.

Back
Top Bottom