warm wide sub bass

dar kist

KYRO
VIP Junglist
last couple of years the one thing i have not really worked on is my sub bass. all i do is grab a sine wave and tweak the adsl and glide and that about it. whats a good way of getting nice wide sub bass, dubstp type wideness?? lil distortion ?? tiny amount of reverb?? any help would be wicked.

where the waveform itself comes from is not very important, ill generate a tone in cooledit or use the 3xosc, and then resample it like 3 times through my desk. i feel the key is in resampling

where the waveform itself comes from is not very important, ill generate a tone in cooledit or use the 3xosc, and then resample it like 3 times through my desk. i feel the key is in resampling

i was gonna say that as well, but got distracted by asking him what daw he uses.

resampling will certainly give it much more presence in the track.

you could also try detuning and lowpassing square waves, and turning the cutoff right down to create a sub effect, but with the harminics from the squares, layer with standard sine.

not a tried and tested method though....

ill record the sine or lowpassed square or whatever (which is cooler) through the desk with lots of gain and the low turned up a couple of times, it adds a lot of flavour, then you shave off the unwanted bits with a digital eq or filter.

lowpassed anything can be a sub, try a pitched down conga, an old dom & roland trick

sub bass should be mono and never 'wide' cause you cant actually tell what direction it comes from anyway, plus stereo sub bass can cause phase issues and also wont cut onto vinyl properly (well it might but if you play it on your decks the needle will jump out of the groove). for width its actually the mid range that will be in stereo. you really want everything under about 200hz (perhaps higher) completely mono.

i agree glenny b, which brings us to this: otiumFX basslane

whats that?

i just split the bass into multiple tracks, 1 (or more) for mids and highs, 1 for sub. make sure the sub is in mono, either with a stereo imager thing or a mono plugin.

i use the bend function of my synth, to pitch down the sub, gives it more energy, sometime it works quite well. i'm also eqing alot and the peak of the sub is round +10 db in my frequency analyzer.

sub bass should be mono and never 'wide' cause you cant actually tell what direction it comes from anyway, plus stereo sub bass can cause phase issues and also wont cut onto vinyl properly (well it might but if you play it on your decks the needle will jump out of the groove). for width its actually the mid range that will be in stereo. you really want everything under about 200hz (perhaps higher) completely mono.

i understand what you mean but i think he meant "wide" frequency wise

Back
Top Bottom