Drum & Bass W3st & Phungi- Fading Reality (Heavier Liquid Drum n Bass)

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by W3st, Dec 19, 2011.

1. W3st

W3st Unsigned DnB Producer

Hey guys, I'm back with a song I made a while back but decided to remaster and re edit some things to it today :mr_cool:. Let me know if you like it, what sounds off or what you dont like. Any feedback is welcomed and I'll check out your stuff in return!

Cheers, W3st

2. W3st

bump, come on anyone! any kind of feedback

3. wilf

wilf Fliwo

I like the idea but the execution needs improvement... a number of points:

1. Try and make the first synth/bass sound a bit more exciting both in terms of its actual sound and the LFO you've got on it. Having said that I like it when the second synth comes in and I think that would work better as your drop if you get what I mean.

2. Drums need improvement but then this is bloody hard to do. Concentrate more on the music elements right now.

3. The arpeggiated synth on the breakdown is really nice... bring it up in the mix and use it more, seems a bit wasted at the mo

Had something else but can't remember, will post when I do

But all in all it's nice, really great ideas, just needs to be brought up a level in terms of production

4. dieiscast

dieiscast Member

like the part, when the pumping bass comes in (1.10)! IMO the snare could be a bit thicker and the part in the middle of the song could be a bit shorter or with more variations.

overall i like the tune. very smooth. nice work.

5. W3st

awesome criticism and input guys thank you, im really pushing to have this track be my strongest so ill be slaving away tomorrow at improvements. cheers!

6. oversight

oversight Member

intro and feeling the vibes already.... lfo synth could be a bit more interesting, perhaps some other modulation?
    piano sounds nice
    snare needs more high, layer a really short clap or something

i like where you are going with this, i think you have the potential to make some awesome tunes as it sounds like you have a very good ear for a tune/ vibe.
    just spend some time on your drums and synth work and it will all start to come together.

biggups mate

7. bansal321

bansal321 Member

i like the melodies in this song pal, very nice and chilling.... i dont feel the synths are very gripping yet, it lacks atmosphere and sounds a little flat.... i do really like that bass u got going off

some good points to this song pal youve got a talent for it

8. SoveX

SoveX Member

Most of what I have to say has already been said. Mainly you need to bring out those drums add some depth to them! It will come to you in time :)

9. W3st

Ok so I took all the comments into consideration and did what I thought sounded best to the song, I also added vocals, so here is the new edit, please let me know what you think now!

10. wilf

wilf Fliwo

Better in some respects definitely. Still think the drums could do with a bit more energy - what layers have you got there at the moment? Are you layering breaks on top?
    Also that first synth still needs something... just feel something is lacking there but I can't quite put my finger on it. Personally I like that second synth that comes in at 1:10 and think you could make more of it.
    Vocals are a nice touch (where are they from?)
    Also a small point, I think the intro could be better. If you listen to a lot of pro tracks you'll notice that the intros are always pretty good (a big generalisation I know) - but generally just filtering some drums up doesn't build energy. Anyway I think that that is nitpicking - good effort, feel free to come back to me when you've made some more improvements - not claiming to be an expert but like helping out around here!

11. W3st

awesome thanks, yeah i cant seem to get the drums any thicker than that... I'm layering to breaks with 2 snares, 2 kicks and several different hi hats and shakers. The kick and snare are both being bussed from a dry bus to a parallel compression channel, with heavy compression on the latter.

yeah i know what you mean about the first synth, but its an emulation of the friction hollow wobble that I made on massive using the magyr osc's, and it's really a bitch... by that i mean i cant have any highs on it or it sounds harsh, the mids are good but still too low, and when I try to turn them up they sound to harsh. Same thing with the lows, theyre completely hi passed but give the synth alot of volume theyre not. Had to compensate for that.

The vocals are from a girl on looperman named Holly, I contacted her to see if I could get her to record an actual vocal track on top but I'm waiting for a response.

And i totally agree with you on intro's... not my strong suit. Do you have any hints for that? All I've ever used for builds are volume automation, drum filters, kick builds, maybe some white noise sweeps and FX packs. Havent really been able to find any other manner to build.. :p

But anyways thanks again for the input, if you could get me back with some intro tips or maybe what to do with that 2nd sidechained synth that'd be great.

Cheers!

12. SoveX

SoveX Member

Had another listen!

I find if your using massive it's sometimes better to use external filters rather than the ones provided by massive, they aren't sharp enough.

Drums are getting better still sounds a bit muffled, try adding a bit of distortion or adding some cleaner samples, pitch them up a bit maybe. There's allot of things you can do.

Out of curiosity what is looperman?

13. W3st

yeah i definitely have noticed that over the time that I have been using it... the hp and lp filters are quite subtle, which i tend to like for certain things. Ha! I just noticed that I had pitched down my snares layer which is parent to my snares... fuck my life this should help haha. I already have a maximizer on the snare channel and any more makes my snares peak and clash. I'll try the pitching.

looperman.com is one site I use for acapella's and vocal loops.

14. bansal321

bansal321 Member

yer i like the vocals, think the snare and kick sound fine, think a shuffle over top would fit nice... 1 major critism is the piano doesnt stand out enough....
    maybe try turning that up and adding some low end on the piano?

15. W3st

hey guys! well after working on the song all day yesterday, i have officially done as much as can skill wise, and am calling this the official cut. Let me know if you like it!

16. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

ok, final edit or whatever, soften up the kick and snare a fraction in the mid range and add a bit of dirt to the major 5th wobble synth. Melodically it all works well and sounds nice etc etc.