Vynil / Dubplate cutting

Snipaz

Question really, im interested in cutting a tune to vynil, i have full permission from the producer to do it but i have a few questions.

Can i only get this cut to a 30-40 play dub or can i get it cut to a proper bit of vynil that wont deteriorate after so many plays?

Short of getting CDJ's ( which i propaply will end up doing ) i cant play it right now which is a bit of a shame really........of course till i play out here there are CDJ's

I think im only going to get one answer here which is i can only cut to acetate unless i pressed about 400 copies at 700 quid right?

Correct me if im wrong, would really like to get this tune pressed and bed-room rave it till i get more plays out!! haha....you know the score.

cheers

there is a place to get it done properly....laod of top DJs use it....cant remember the name...but there was a previous thread about it....its like £25 a side tho
safe

I've used Dub Studio before and they are top notch. Send them the WAVs or 320 mp3s and they'll get a freshly cut vinyl 12" back to you in a week. £35 for a double sided 12" and they do all of the mastering for you too.

yeah seems cool, its 25 quid for a single.......worth it for sure, actually chuffed ive got my 1st plate to press! and its all spankingly legal :) ( not that id ever touch an llegally downloaded one ) i was surprised by the size as well 64mb, obvioulsy due to the bit rate etc etc.......dont knock me im new to all this Dubplate culture / files sizes etc etc!! :)

So if acetate is more expensive than a 1 off vinyl and wears out why the fuck would anyone buy it lol???

Vapour im sure youd know this ... and any other input from people would be appreciated ...

When you've made tune and sent if off to get it pressed to vinyl and be MASTERED, what exactly does the mastering entail?

Do they compress the file or anything like that which might have a negative effect on the sound which you've worked so hard to get exactly how youd like it? Or do they just tweak it slightly so that the low end isn't too powerful for the needle and things like that? :confused:

Always wondered as i'm getting quite into producing now and its about time I know the procedure!

Vapour im sure youd know this ... and any other input from people would be appreciated ...

When you've made tune and sent if off to get it pressed to vinyl and be MASTERED, what exactly does the mastering entail?

Do they compress the file or anything like that which might have a negative effect on the sound which you've worked so hard to get exactly how youd like it? Or do they just tweak it slightly so that the low end isn't too powerful for the needle and things like that? :confused:

Always wondered as i'm getting quite into producing now and its about time I know the procedure!

for the most part mastering is just sorting out the track so that it can actually be cut onto vinyl

there are certain frequencys that just cannot be transfered to vinyl (over 12k and below 40hz do not cut well) also anything below roughly 120hz will be made mono and general compression and maybe some light eqing to tidy up the track and level out the volume and to get it as loud as possible

once that is done the track is cut onto a 14" acetate and the cat number is etched onto the edge and the run off groove this is then sent off to the pressing plant where they grow the stampers from the acetate

check this vid out for more of an idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exsoVXwE1mg&feature=related

check these vids out to see most of the process from sound file to record

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUGRRUecBik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IReDh9ec_rk

Back
Top Bottom