Vst plugins for bass

Indi

Tha Original ThreadKilla!
VIP Junglist
Can anyone suggest any vst plugins for making all kinds of sub and mid bass sounds?

you dont need a vsti for sub, just loop a test wave in your sampler and chuck waves r-bass or maxbass on it. cpu efficiant. midrange is a bit more complicated and anybodys guess really but ive been told z3ta is good and reaktor is crazy if you can get your head around it.

logikz said:
you dont need a vsti for sub, just loop a test wave in your sampler and chuck waves r-bass or maxbass on it. cpu efficiant. midrange is a bit more complicated and anybodys guess really but ive been told z3ta is good and reaktor is crazy if you can get your head around it.

While this is effective, it is not the best way to go about it. I suggest using a VSTi for your sub bass as you can have more control over its sound. waves r-bass and maxxbass are ok if done right. Is this the proper way to match a sub to say a reese? NO. And wot about those famous Tee Bee 'n Noisia basses? Do you really want an 808 sub sittin under those? I don't. They don't sound as natural as layering the sound 'n runnin a LP filter on it to get your sub then boosting that. Easily done in SX. Jus create a group channel, and route your synth or sample to that group channel. Then insert an EQ with freq cuts @ 30hz, and 90hz. This should give you a natural feelin sub.

(y)

Tek_Arsenic said:
While this is effective, it is not the best way to go about it. I suggest using a VSTi for your sub bass as you can have more control over its sound. waves r-bass and maxxbass are ok if done right. Is this the proper way to match a sub to say a reese? NO. And wot about those famous Tee Bee 'n Noisia basses? Do you really want an 808 sub sittin under those? I don't. They don't sound as natural as layering the sound 'n runnin a LP filter on it to get your sub then boosting that. Easily done in SX. Jus create a group channel, and route your synth or sample to that group channel. Then insert an EQ with freq cuts @ 30hz, and 90hz. This should give you a natural feelin sub.

(y)

its a good technique what youre talking about there. its for layering tho, for clean sub i dont see why youd need a vsti. plus proper and proper im not going to debate if its proper, it works well for me.

Remember that a sampler has all the filters that a synth has and when you sample you can easily get a richer sound than something that's 100% digital.

I tend to use samples as building blocks rather than VSTIs as they sound sterile IMO.

I've always gotten way better results this way particularly with distorted basses as when you distort a VSTI it often just sounds ear piercing and tinny rather than properly beefy.

Also for sub bass samples can be good as well, some mixing desks used to make tunes do these little things to the bottom end that make them thunder that little bit more so a sample from an artist that's used the right gear will sound spot on. I've noticed this as an 808 style bass through Ray's desk always sounds deeper than my noises from my PC even with no processing. I have to do a lot to get a similar sound to what he gets. I don't know all the details but it's to do with harmonics so you're not just using pure sine waves.

I heard that sampling and pitching down feedback makes a really good sub

Last edited:
i find cronox3 puts out some ruff sounds and i havent gotten my head around zeta yet so i cant tell you ... .

also there is Absynth, and as mentioned Reaktor if you can figure it out .. .

ez

I either use sampled subs from sample packs (for the same reason Serum stated above, digital brittleness from vst's)
OR.............
I use the synthesis function in Sound Forge to create a basic sine an then effect it with plug'ins within sound forge. A good thing about synthesis is that you can set the frequency of your sub and also set the start and end frequency so you can get dipping subs i.e. 55hz dipping to 33hz.

TBL bass VST hasn't got a mention yet! It has its... 'quirks'... (least the version I have ;)), but it's a solid plugin for producing sines, triangles, square waves or a mixture between one and t'other. Plus you can distort, drive, all sorts in the plugin, and it's not very CPU heavy at all.

That said, I have generated sines from it and use the wavs now sometimes :D

My favs are the novation v-station and the Korg ms-20 from the legacy collection.

ive made bass that'll punch holes in concrete with both of em!

Back
Top Bottom